Poll: Are motion controls killing gaming?

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
That's right. Gaming beat the Power Glove in 1989. Now it's come back for the rematch.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
No. Developers just screw up big time when making games with motion controls.

Technically, The Wii Remote + Nunchuk is infinitely superior to a dual analog control. On a dual analog controller, you're to alternate between the second analog and the buttons, whereas you can multitask with the Wii Remote + Nunchuk.

FrndlyMisanthrpe

May 28, 2009
Well...
it's not motion controls themselves.
I'm sure at least some of you have played Twilight Princess. Having control over pointer made shooting the bow and arrow and the clawshot much easier than with a control stick.
And for de Blob, where jump is a downward thrust... well... it wasn't the best idea ever.
But the downward thrust for the attack is very satisfying.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
The typical gamer for Sony and Microsoft will quickly grow bored with motion controlled game and stop buying them(the first games are always dumb gimmicks to test the waters after all). I predict the new controls failing unless both Sony and Microsoft try to tap into the Nintendo model of recruiting non-gamers. I think Nintendo has this market tapped right now anyways. More on topic, no, motion controls are not killing games, they are facilitating an inclusion of non-gamers. This is revitalizing gamers. Motion controls are however killing the notion that gamers are an exclusive community, which is upsetting a number of gamers for various reasons.

Leorex

Jun 4, 2008
gaming is in no danger of dieing. it is always changing, and perhaps there is fear to be had in that. but it is in no way dieing.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
How is it "killing gaming"?

It just means the audience is growing bigger and the gaming industry gets more money out of it.

People fail to see that this does not mean they ignore one part of an audience in favour of another. "Core" games will still be continued to be made. If you argue that this is what happened with Nintendo, no offence, but there's at least some ignorance being thrown around here.

Besides, I think it's better for everyone to get into gaming. Eventually it'll take away those negative stereotypes and maybe people will stop lobbying for the banning of games and such.

More importantly though, if one thinks motion controls are "killing gaming", this is simply jumping to conclusions, or at least being very resistant to change. For the past few years, we've had motion control..Yet, games are still being produced.

It's kind of like complaining about how controllers changed in the past, by adding additional buttons or even analog sticks.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
i think if you want motion control, you should get a wii, not all of them suck and they're trying to improve for the most part. Other than that fuck sixaxis and screw project natal

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Yes because once Sony released the Eye Toy for the PS2 it stopped selling any other types of games.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
I am going to go with no. Both the Sony and Microsoft, though to be truthfull mainly the Sony, press conferences made me think that perhaps a more adult oriented company and fanbase could spark a much better way to do motion sensory gameplay. Take for instance a game like Oblivion, which is highly sword based or arrow based if you are a marksman (aka wimp) it would bring unprecedented immertion into the game if your sword strikes were able to be represented on screen at a 1:1 ratio. Also think of a game with say fully sliceable enemies, see also Afro Samurai (the game), I don't think there could be anything cooler than slicing a guys head off in a game and going "Yeah I'm that badass" cause it was you that made that blow happen. Also dual shock in the afformentioned situation would be what would make it cooler.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Games are now all about the gimmicks of motion control, rather then the games themselves.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Personally...no I dont think they are. As long as games using controllers are still made. As owner of a 360 and PS2 (No PS3, my 360 is arcade and equiped with a 20gig hard drive...regionless from maylasia for $25...) I like Controllers, and I also like DDR (for PS2). Sometimes I think a motion controller would be fun when Im feeling the energy. Controllers when I dont have so much energy or want tight controls.

And if they can make core games using motion controls that engage me? Im all for it!

Even if they are casual-ish or "kiddie" games. My philosophy has always been "As long as a game is fun, the graphics, platform, and style of control don't matter"

And in a way I praise Nintendo for trying something new. Same way I praise Mirror's Edge for its strange jumping controls. Its changes like that that show a company is at least trying to do something new.

Aedrial

Jun 24, 2009
The wiis motion controls are killing the console, it has isolated many gamers through it's inaccurate and unresponsive approach. But the market they are aiming for enjoys it, so it's a double-edged sword, it makes money for the mainstream, but with those who want an actual gaming experience tend to steer away from the gimicks.

I think the other consoles shouldn't worry about motion sensitivity until nintendo has it down pat (unless nintendo keeps patenting things at the rate they are, their might not be any room for the rest of the industry to grow, without infinging some copyright.

But as Chicago Ted said, it is the literal next step in gaming, the industry giants just need to get it right, once they have it fine tuned and expertly designed, I think that this premise could be the very thing that SAVES gaming and brings in a much wider audience... speaking of which anyone ever see a non-gamer attempt to hold a 360 controller, especially if they have never encountered one previously, to put it short it is rather hillarious.

Teh Ty

Sep 10, 2008
I think they are, because it seems that if it has motion controls, a person just can't take the game seriously.

MicrosoftPaysMe

Mar 4, 2009
I said no but because it will NEVER catch on. Like yahtzee said ppl dont want to come home after a long days work and jump around in front of the tv

Zero-Vash

Apr 1, 2009
I don't believe that it is killing games.

I'm not going to go into a big thing because many other people have covered my points.

Just wanted to get my opinion out there other than a number in the polls =D

MK Tha Rebel

Jun 12, 2009
Quality has been replaced by novelty and appearances. The Wii and it's motion controls have changed gaming. If they could just get it right, and not center everything around it, it could benefit the gaming experience. As of right now, it's ruining it.

Give it some time, and maybe motion controls could help gaming, but for now, they aren't.

EricKINGS

May 22, 2009
I answered yes because i personally think so up till now. However, if they make a motion sensor thats actually worth a dam, then gaming would truly be revolutionized.