Poll: Are you a feminist?

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Tenmar said:
Darkmantle said:
I suppose. I am somewhat amused that he proceeded to turn into an example of the very thing I was denouncing though. I think he's done anyway.
Yeah it's a darn shame with communication breaks down and people care more about their ego than actually gaining an understanding or take a moment to stop and try to forgive and start over.

God the more serious this crap gets the more I realize that I may be more religious than I thought. I'm seeing more people on forums that don't give an inch of forgiveness and would rather damn a person's entire career into a little moment of their life and not take into consideration the possibility that their views have changed or gaining an understanding of the situation. People just forgot to forgive.
Don't get too worried, forgiveness is not just a religious thing :p lol. It's human to forgive

Getting people separated from their pre-conceived notions is not often a smooth process.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Father Time said:
SecretNegative said:
Bocaj2000 said:
*sigh* You want evidence, here you go:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StrawFeminist

Is this more suitable for you?

It is ironic how you say how much you hate straw feminists. It actually seems like you agree with the woman in the video.
Umm, what?

It's not a straw feminist if there actually exist people like that in the real world, which by showing me this woman in your link, you proved that it exists.

Sure, there exists overexaggerated feminsts in fiction, but what has that got to do with anything? There exist overxaggerated vegetarians, nazis, politicans, partygoers, Joe Blows, manchauvinists. There exists overexaggerated images of real things in fiction, of basically every thing ever made.

And you what what? I do not agree with the woman in the video, shocking, huh? Seriously, how did you reach that conclusion?
Yeah according to fiction everyone who likes opera is a fat snob who looks down on everyone else, and all opera stars are fat people with really loud voices (although since opera's been around before microphones I guess that last part kind of makes sense).

Nobody's claiming that there's a conspiracy against them though, that would be stupid.
I've never heard of the famous opera trope. Maybe I have been watching too much Phantom of the Opera to see all of the other times when the loud fat snobby opera fan.

As for the "conspiracy" that you claim I believe... it's not intentional; it's just culture. When there is an ice-cream commercial that has listening to your wife for five seconds as a challenge our culture might be a tad sexist.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
mxfox408 said:
Let's do away completely with the segregation, especially when it comes to gym shower rooms ans. If equality is to be given then it should be across the board, not at a pick and choose level that its currently at.
If it wasn't for the high possibility of rape, that would be awesome. Our culture has to change before that is a possibility.

For example, instead of asking:
"Why did he rape you?"
we should be asking:
"Why is this person a rapist?"

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
willsham45 said:
Men and Women are different! We think different, we act different, We are different. So you cannot measure set facts and really use them as evidence for women being out done in every way by men.

Example Pay, More men take the dangerous, undesirable work and generally favour connivance over comforts. Women the opposite generally going for comfort, easy commute, benefits etc. over money. And guess what because of that men get paid more on average. Of cause this is very generalised and of cause you will give cross overs, but for the Moriarty this is the case.

Men get shat on when it comes to devour and child custody.

And Women generally get less jail time than men for the same crimes.

So all in all I think the equal rights thing is done and does not need to go further, Well for the most part I feel it probably just needs to be balanced a bit to make it easier for the lesser downfalls on both sides.
One word: culture. It teaches women that dainty is desirable and it teaches men that being a badass is awesome. This isn't genetic.

moopig66

Feb 1, 2011
No there is in fact no sexism toward men. I suppose there are women out there who dislike men based on their gender, but what will or can be done to them? Men still dominate our our culture and our society. I dont understand why some men feel the compulsion to self identify as victims of... something. I mean honestly, please look around you for just a millisecond.

I often see men trying to claim that they are somehow victims when its pointed out that men are inherently privileged in our society. Its a somewhat primitive reaction.

This whole "oh, but men are victims of stuff too" attitude in no way comes from an actual concern for their fellow human being, they are simply trying to draw attention away from those receiving attention, and back at themselves. For decades men have been the absolute center of attention in all facets of our culture, and as we advance tword a more inclusive future, that attention will be spread around evenly. Try not to fight it please.
SidheKnight said:
moopig66 said:
Well, i lied. I shall rebut, just this once.

Mens rights? MENS RIGHTS! MENS FUACKING RIGHTS!? Are you absolutely shitting me?? Has your brain absolutely gone that far off the deep end. Have you lost touch with this wonderful place we call reality that you would use a term like "mens rights" pow-faced? Men have the rights, men distribute the rights to those who are bellow them, MENS RIGHTS is a made up term.

This asinine attitude of "oh they are victimized so i want to be too!" is so disgustingly childish, so beyond rational thought it sickens me that you share the same species as i. grow the hell up. Take reality for a spin some day, its quite fun.

As someone who has personally been discriminated against my whole life for no other reason than my birth, i hole heatedly support the feminist movement. I believe in equal rights and equal opportunity for all. To not believe in such is a sin worse than all the rest. Be nice, be happy, treat all others with respect and kindness, its not a very hard life philosophy to live by.

Edit: oh... im a dude... i dont know if that came across...
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
OMG what part of not talking to do you do you not understand? One of your articles that you so smugly posted, I ALREADY POSTED IN RESPONSE TO ANOTHER PERSON!!!!!!! Or at least one with the same information. You can read my deconstruction of that if you want!!

Did some evil six foot five tall 200lb women physicality and sexual abuse you at some point in the past? This irrational, vile distrust of a group of people who's only crime was being born with their reproductive parts on the inside is something beyond evil.

I don't know, my only experiences wit women is as a friend, being a member of the rainbow squad and all, but i have never EVER met this cartoon-ishly evil, seductive archetype of a women once in my life.

And no, no i will not be responding to whatever ill conceived, hateful, sexist thing you feel like responding at me. Please stop co-opting conversations in the message boards (ive seen you before) and go be nice and happy with all the other good boys and girls in the not-internet world. I must now leave for i have a date... with a real person... something i doubt you have much experience with.

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
Oh god, im not going to debate with you... ive seen you before and meet people of your persuasion. One day you will, hopefully, wake up and realize that taking an opinion because you want to be contrary is not a healthy thing to do. Your words are the regurgitation labyrinth of machination created by a particularly spiteful group of persons who dont want woman's equality. Please, for your own sake, stop being contrary for the sake of contrariety, and start formulating your own opinions based on your own experiences, like an adult...

and here i was hoping to have an adult conversation... oh well :)
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
And what possible purpose would the evil women have for misleading all you soft and trusting men? I mean honestly, its attitude like this that holds our nation and our culture back. You have created a false narrative for a group that you have been told falsities about. Attitudes like this lead to very very bad things historically, i would hope that a group like us gamers would understand somewhat of whats its like to be subjugated. Why cant we all just be nice and happy and get along with each other? its not hard... really...
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
Aw, and here i was hoping to have a thread without insults... dow well.

I would love to see your statistics source study... unless you... pulled it out of your butt...

and i love love love when people claim that feminists are somehow sexist. I have spoken to and am friends with many people who would be considered extreme feminists and never have i felt that they are in any way sexist. Its a slur, calling feminists sexist, that is founded on nothing other than a knee jerk defensive reaction from people who oppose feminism.

and... i apologize for any typos, i just got a new keyboard :p

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/1999/jan/22/alantravis
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-224-x/85-224-x2010000-eng.pdf

there's some.

and here's a feminist organization that's using fake stats.

http://www.mavaw.org/

If you watch, you can notice most if not all the stats used are 15 years old. Intentionally misleading. Both sides of Domestic Violence need to be addressed, many feminists simply don't agree.

And here's the founder of the first battered woman's refuge backing me up, she knew the score.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pizzey-makes-a-stand-for-the-battered-man-1083534.html
I'm not going to play the speculation game with you, nor did I say all women or evil or any nonsense as that, stop building straw men. It's more likely it's just ignorance or confirmation bias, as is your case.

Those stats are as solid as you can get. All I ask is that there be almost as many shelters for men as there are for women, because men need help to. You are not going to end the violence by pretending there is only one side to the issue, and until feminism catches up to the realities of domestic violence today, I'm not going to support them. Show me the feminist groups trying to get men's shelters open, or educate people about DV against both genders, I'll believe they are about equality.

The insulting of people who advocate for men's rights is not helping your case.

Look at the stats and stop being blind to your own bias. I fight for everyone's rights, maybe you should do the same.

You stand here with a straight face telling me I'm buying into some kind of agenda, yet you ignore the stats I posted, from UK and Canada, you ignore the woman who founded the FIRST woman's shelter (she should be a feminist icon BTW). Yet you have the gall to tell me I'm not forming my own opinions?

How about you do some real research into the groups you support, instead of blindly running to their defence.

I'll post the stats again, if you're mature enough to actually look at them.

Actually I've been in a stable monogamous relationship for the past three years. And we're both quite happy in fact. But I do appreciate the wild strawmanning of my opinions and assumptions about my history and relationships. Really shows the quality of person that calls themselves feminist.

Proves my point about feminist attitudes to people who advocate for men's rights as well. Good job becoming an example.
Moopig.. you are the reason why so many people have a problem to identify themselves as feminists when they support equality.

This attitude of dismissing sexism against men so easily while getting furious about sexism against women IS a form of sexism.

What? You really believe men don't suffer sexism?, here look:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoubleStandard

DISCLAIMER: Yeah I know women have had it worst in the past, and still have it worst in the present in some aspects. But still, my point stands the same...

moopig66

Feb 1, 2011
If a person were to come up to you and explain why the holocaust was a good thing, would you not get a little upset.

I see this a lot with... your kind... this passive aggressive "oh, im just asking questions/pointing something out", its a thinly disguised, hollow attempt at insult. A tactic the far right media loves to employ.
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
treat all others with respect and kindness
Ironically, I don't think you are living up to your own standards by the way, I have not attacked you personally, yet you have nothing but insults for me, calling me all shorts of names, saying I don't have any experience with real life, saying I'm out of touch with reality, and a host of other insults and names.

and then you say this?

"treat all others with respect and kindness"

I already am, perhaps you should too. It's a two way street buddy.

moopig66

Feb 1, 2011
No, it dosent. Subjigated groups have "rights movements"

Examples:
Gay rights
Women's rights
The civil rights movements of the 60's and 70's
Latino rights

And who were the ones withholding rights in all of those cases? White Christian Men. The oppressor does not get a rights movement.

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Mens rights? MENS RIGHTS! MENS FUACKING RIGHTS!? Are you absolutely shitting me?? Has your brain absolutely gone that far off the deep end. Have you lost touch with this wonderful place we call reality that you would use a term like "mens rights" pow-faced? Men have the rights, men distribute the rights to those who are bellow them, MENS RIGHTS is a made up term.

This asinine attitude of "oh they are victimized so i want to be too!" is so disgustingly childish, so beyond rational thought it sickens me that you share the same species as i. grow the hell up. Take reality for a spin some day, its quite fun.

As someone who has personally been discriminated against my whole life for no other reason than my birth, i hole heatedly support the feminist movement. I believe in equal rights and equal opportunity for all. To not believe in such is a sin worse than all the rest. Be nice, be happy, treat all others with respect and kindness, its not a very hard life philosophy to live by.

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
OMG what part of not talking to do you do you not understand? One of your articles that you so smugly posted, I ALREADY POSTED IN RESPONSE TO ANOTHER PERSON!!!!!!! Or at least one with the same information. You can read my deconstruction of that if you want!!

Did some evil six foot five tall 200lb women physicality and sexual abuse you at some point in the past? This irrational, vile distrust of a group of people who's only crime was being born with their reproductive parts on the inside is something beyond evil.

I don't know, my only experiences wit women is as a friend, being a member of the rainbow squad and all, but i have never EVER met this cartoon-ishly evil, seductive archetype of a women once in my life.

And no, no i will not be responding to whatever ill conceived, hateful, sexist thing you feel like responding at me. Please stop co-opting conversations in the message boards (ive seen you before) and go be nice and happy with all the other good boys and girls in the not-internet world. I must now leave for i have a date... with a real person... something i doubt you have much experience with.

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
Oh god, im not going to debate with you... ive seen you before and meet people of your persuasion. One day you will, hopefully, wake up and realize that taking an opinion because you want to be contrary is not a healthy thing to do. Your words are the regurgitation labyrinth of machination created by a particularly spiteful group of persons who dont want woman's equality. Please, for your own sake, stop being contrary for the sake of contrariety, and start formulating your own opinions based on your own experiences, like an adult...

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
And what possible purpose would the evil women have for misleading all you soft and trusting men? I mean honestly, its attitude like this that holds our nation and our culture back. You have created a false narrative for a group that you have been told falsities about. Attitudes like this lead to very very bad things historically, i would hope that a group like us gamers would understand somewhat of whats its like to be subjugated. Why cant we all just be nice and happy and get along with each other? its not hard... really...
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

I would love to see your statistics source study... unless you... pulled it out of your butt...

and i love love love when people claim that feminists are somehow sexist. I have spoken to and am friends with many people who would be considered extreme feminists and never have i felt that they are in any way sexist. Its a slur, calling feminists sexist, that is founded on nothing other than a knee jerk defensive reaction from people who oppose feminism.

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

there's some.

If you watch, you can notice most if not all the stats used are 15 years old. Intentionally misleading. Both sides of Domestic Violence need to be addressed, many feminists simply don't agree.

And here's the founder of the first battered woman's refuge backing me up, she knew the score.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pizzey-makes-a-stand-for-the-battered-man-1083534.html
I'm not going to play the speculation game with you, nor did I say all women or evil or any nonsense as that, stop building straw men. It's more likely it's just ignorance or confirmation bias, as is your case.

Those stats are as solid as you can get. All I ask is that there be almost as many shelters for men as there are for women, because men need help to. You are not going to end the violence by pretending there is only one side to the issue, and until feminism catches up to the realities of domestic violence today, I'm not going to support them. Show me the feminist groups trying to get men's shelters open, or educate people about DV against both genders, I'll believe they are about equality.

Look at the stats and stop being blind to your own bias. I fight for everyone's rights, maybe you should do the same.

You stand here with a straight face telling me I'm buying into some kind of agenda, yet you ignore the stats I posted, from UK and Canada, you ignore the woman who founded the FIRST woman's shelter (she should be a feminist icon BTW). Yet you have the gall to tell me I'm not forming my own opinions?

How about you do some real research into the groups you support, instead of blindly running to their defence.

Actually I've been in a stable monogamous relationship for the past three years. And we're both quite happy in fact. But I do appreciate the wild strawmanning of my opinions and assumptions about my history and relationships. Really shows the quality of person that calls themselves feminist.

Proves my point about feminist attitudes to people who advocate for men's rights as well. Good job becoming an example.
Yeah men's rights. You are now displaying the classic feminist attitude when someone says that. Congrats.

Men need shelters too, the stats prove it. Why are you against taking care of battered men? I'm not saying close down the woman's shelters, I'm saying open up some shelters for men too.

Domestic violence against men is a real issue and needs real answers, not this dismissal coming from a proud feminist, who apparently supports "equal rights" yeah. Real equal.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
moopig66 said:
If a person were to come up to you and explain why the holocaust was a good thing, would you not get a little upset.

I see this a lot with... your kind... this passive aggressive "oh, im just asking questions/pointing something out", its a thinly disguised, hollow attempt at insult. A tactic the far right media loves to employ.
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
treat all others with respect and kindness
Ironically, I don't think you are living up to your own standards by the way, I have not attacked you personally, yet you have nothing but insults for me, calling me all shorts of names, saying I don't have any experience with real life, saying I'm out of touch with reality, and a host of other insults and names.

and then you say this?

"treat all others with respect and kindness"

I already am, perhaps you should too. It's a two way street buddy.
Oh I would be upset, but I wouldn't imply they don't have a sex life, or imply they were beaten up by a group of Jewish people. That would be disrespectful. I would address their points.

And I did no such thing, I clearly stated my arguments and brought supporting evidence. Unless you take disagreeing with your beliefs as an insult.

And why do you keep bringing the far right into this? Why do they matter? I'm almost as far left as you can get before going into crazy. I even identify as a socialist. This insinuation that I'm somehow connected to conservatism is disingenuous, and frankly more disrespectful to me than any of the mud slinging you have engaged in so far.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
moopig66 said:

Examples:
Gay rights
Women's rights
Latino rights

And who were the ones withholding rights in all of those cases? White Christian Men. The oppressor does not get a rights movement.

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

there's some.

Yeah men's rights. You are now displaying the classic feminist attitude when someone says that. Congrats.

Men need shelters too, the stats prove it. Why are you against taking care of battered men? I'm not saying close down the woman's shelters, I'm saying open up some shelters for men too.

Domestic violence against men is a real issue and needs real answers, not this dismissal coming from a proud feminist, who apparently supports "equal rights" yeah. Real equal.
You are making this a gender war. If feminism is really about equality, it should not be a gender war.

Equality does not come by pitting two sides against each other or demonizing the other side with false information.

And did you say domestic violence against men doesn't need real answers or isn't a real issue?

And you seriously want me to think feminism is about equality when you're going to represent it like this?

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Tenmar said:
Darkmantle said:
You are making this a gender war. If feminism is really about equality, it should not be a gender war.

Equality does not come by pitting two sides against each other or demonizing the other side with false information.

And did you say domestic violence against men doesn't need real answers or isn't a real issue?

And you seriously want me to think feminism is about equality when you're going to represent it like this?
I think you should take the latter half of my advice and just let him be in his own beliefs cause there is no way after what he has typed that anything you say will actually get him to try and be reasonable. You are not going to be able to have a conversation with Moopig but only an argument.

Also I find it hilarious considering I'm the freaking republican in the forums and all I've done here in this thread is try and get you two blokes to actually have a conversation and get along, something which Moopig has clearly failed to do. I didn't know I was supposed to act passive aggressive and spend my time insulting people cause clearly I am doing it wrong.

Just ignore and move on or have a conversation with someone else on this thread that actually wants to be reasonable and considerate.

bah. Fine, I defer to your judgement, I'm clearly getting no where with him anyway.

the only silver lining is that I now have an on-forum example for later reference I guess.

moopig66

Feb 1, 2011
My friend mister Sterling of the Jimquisition fame:

http://www.gamefront.com/misandry-in-videogames-oh-grow-the-f-k-up/
Jiggy said:
moopig66 said:

Examples:
Gay rights
Women's rights
Latino rights

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

there's some.

Protip:

You are not for equal rights. You are just a plain old misandrist.

moopig66

Feb 1, 2011
Feminism is about women trying to fight for their right to stand on equal footing, as its implied in the name "feminism" its ABOUT WOMEN. There is no gender war, there's no feminist bogymen waiting in the shadows, hot to get your alimony.

A vary, very small minority of men are abused by women, and yes that's bad. Ive read into these studies and they count children in their count for "men". Children and child abuse are a whole different subject.

Imagine if you will a time long past, the 1950's, a time of great segregation and mistreatment toward the black community. Now imagine someone telling you that the black people of the time were not mistreated anymore than the white people, and that in fact black people lynch, segregate and flat out kill as many white people as the other way around. You would be dumbstruck with the idiocy of such a statement, i hope, and rightly so. Now try and apply that to today's situation regarding women.

Here is a wonderful quote from my old representative from the 3rd district of georgia:
and i paraphrase as i was present during this quotes inception... "things are hard now days, with the economic crisis (and... while typing this i spelled crisis like crysis...)... when i was a kid things were so much better, so much easier... the women were in the kitchen and america was a better country..."
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Examples:
Gay rights
Women's rights
Latino rights

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

there's some.

moopig66

Feb 1, 2011
I hoped his words of wisdom would rub off on you. Misandry, which makes wavy red lines appear below it as it is not a word... well... isn't a word. I, as a male, do not discriminate against men because they are men... that would be weird considering i BONE THEM! If i was a gay misandrist, it would be very hard to find positional dates considering my hate for them...
Jiggy said:
moopig66 said:
My friend mister Sterling of the Jimquisition fame:

http://www.gamefront.com/misandry-in-videogames-oh-grow-the-f-k-up/
Jiggy said:
moopig66 said:

Examples:
Gay rights
Women's rights
Latino rights

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

there's some.

Protip:

You are not for equal rights. You are just a plain old misandrist.
And somehow Jims article, which certainly isn't amoung his best work, makes you not a misandrist? That's not how it works pal.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Misandry, which makes wavy red lines appear below it as it is not a word... well... isn't a word
Spellcheckers are behind but according to dictionary.com, it is a word.

misandry [mis-an-dree]  

noun
hatred of males.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/misandry

I, as a male, do not discriminate against men because they are men... that would be weird considering i BONE THEM!
So, are you saying that heterosexual men cannot be misoginists?