Poll: Are you a feminist?

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
No. I believe that Women and Men are more or less equal in today's society. I admit, there are still pockets of sexism, some of them severe, but I believe there are a lot of issues far more important for me to devote my time and effort to.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
I do not advocate rights, therefore I am not a feminist.

All humans ought to be treated like humans, i.e. a species that is the most mindlessly destructive species ever known deserves to be destroyed accordingly.

By that, I mean objectively, from the outside, if other lifeforms were to judge the human species, whether they be gods or aliens or artificial intelligences ...
Anyone who thinks humanity would be judged kindly would be wrong.

nubbas

Jan 9, 2009
Yes, I call myself a feminist.

If somenone else through ignorance or choice takes that to mean any of the connotations outside of the dictionary version I'll usually be glad to give them a brief mission statement.

As a high school teacher in Sweden I'm more or less bound by law to be a feminist in the sense we're talking about here at least in what values I pass on to my students. I guess that and having a TRULY equal part in my childrens upbringing is the part of my activism that I'm most proud of.

It's been a long journey from arrogant, misogynist teenage-boy to feminist man/father. I do not delude myself into thinking that I can truly see all the structural inequities in society from my priviliged position as white heterosexual male but I'd like to thank the few good women who got me started on the looong journey.

DeleteThisAcc

Nov 19, 2009
I can only facepalm at people here.

1. Male and Female creatures are not same, thus not equal. But they both deserve same rights and opportunities.
2. Feminism is not for equal rights nor it is for equal opportunities. Want prof? - Gender quotas in job places and universities forcing to take in females that are not as qualified and throwing away males that are more qualified (eg. male with average mark 8 from 10 from school doesn't get place in university because of gender quota making female get to university with average mark of 6 from 10. Is that fair? Someone that is more qualified, smarter and harder working is thrown away because of their SEX as long as they are male). Feminism lowered job requirements for women. Look at police and firefighter job qualification requirements - weaker females are welcome - males not.
3. Feminism and law: Woman attack man - man goes to jail. Woman KILLS man after he asks for divorce - woman goes free. Woman cuts off pen1s of man asking for divorce - woman goes free + becomes role model. Man slaps woman in self defense (woman attacked) - gets beaten up by every other "feminist" male around + goes to police as the one to have assaulted. According to US laws : only man can rape, woman can't be rapist. Married man can't force his wife to have sex with him, in france if man doesn't please his wife when she wants he can get fined.
4. Feminism propaganda: Women are only ones experiencing domestic violence - false, women as likely to cause domestic violence as men. All men shares guilt of being rapists and violence against women - yah...
5. feminism and sexism: sexism against women - bad, sexism against men - ok.

Just go to youtube and watch videos of girlwriteswhat.

I am antifeminist. I am for equal rights and opportunities of genders (as MALE and FEMALE transvestites and cross dressers can go to hell)

optimusjamie

Jul 14, 2012
Going by a theoretical definition of feminism (the one given in the OP), then I would call myself a feminist. However, like any label, it mhas a range of different meanings depending on who you ask.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Arkaniack said:
2. Feminism is not for equal rights nor it is for equal opportunities. Want prof? - Gender quotas in job places and universities forcing to take in females that are not as qualified and throwing away males that are more qualified (eg. male with average mark 8 from 10 from school doesn't get place in university because of gender quota making female get to university with average mark of 6 from 10.
Fun fact: it's generally the other way around [http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20111646-503544.html] in the US. The female applicant pool is much larger than the male applicant pool for most universities.

Arkaniack said:
Married man can't force his wife to have sex with him,
This is something you have a problem with? I thought "rape is bad" was something we could all get behind.

Arkaniack said:
I am for equal rights and opportunities of genders (as MALE and FEMALE transvestites and cross dressers can go to hell)
Ahahahah MRAs.

Evilpigeon

Feb 24, 2011
I hate that many people look at this as a black and white issue. Calling yourself a feminist associates you with everything that has ever been done in the name of feminism from the admirable to the deplorable. I don't know enough about it to decide whether I want to be associated with that (if anyone can point me somewhere trustworthy, that'd be nice, googling seems to be drawing a blank when it comeas to reliable discussion). In addition a one line definition is not the be all end all of the meaning of feminism, equality also means different things to different people.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Arkaniack said:
1. Male and Female creatures are not same, thus not equal. But they both deserve same rights and opportunities.
being "not eaqual" isn't a blanket statment...you need context

like in terms of intelligence men and women and equal, in terms of physical strength men are generally stronger..therefore it is not eaqual

[quote/]I am antifeminist. I am for equal rights and opportunities of genders (as MALE and FEMALE transvestites and cross dressers can go to hell)[/quote]

so you don't like transgender people

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
Absolutely. Rather than splitting hairs in order to disassociate myself with a word that apparently has an undeserved negative connotation I figure as long as feminism means equal rights for men and women, I support it 100%. By equal rights I mean within reason - there's no reason to give men and women equal rights in say, matters of abortion because there's no situation in which the man should have a legal say in the matter. Aside from niche circumstances like that though - I'm for whatever is the most equal.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Nope, I'm an Egalitarian:

e·gal·i·tar·i·an [ih-gal-i-tair-ee-uhn]
Adjective
1. Asserting, resulting from, or characterized by belief in the equality of all people, especially in political, economic, or social life.

Never understood what is so difficult about simply accepting that other people are different.

SidheKnight

Nov 28, 2011
Feminism is wonderful in theory.

So is Communism.

I believe that both genders should have the same rights, the same obligations, and be treated equal.

According to the dictionary, I'm a feminist.

Yet there's a lot about the movement (not the theory) that I can't agree with (affirmative action, for example) and the fact that for being an anti-sexism movement it doesn't give a crap when sexism goes against men, and yet when someone tries to create or join a movement that advocates to fight sexism against men, that person is automatically accused of being a "misogynist wife-beater woman-hater".

So here's the deal, feminists: Or you include sexism against men in your list of things to change, or you let us organize to combat that sexism without being shunned from society.

DeleteThisAcc

Nov 19, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
This is something you have a problem with? I thought "rape is bad" was something we could all get behind.
DON'T QUOTE ME OUT OF CONTEXT!

"Married man can't force his wife to have sex with him, in france if man doesn't please his wife when she wants he can get fined."

What I said IS: In marriage men can't force their wife's to have sex against woman's will - WIFE CAN FORCE HER HUSBAND AGAINST HIS WILL TO HAVE SEX - WHAT IS RAPE.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:

"Married man can't force his wife to have sex with him, in france if man doesn't please his wife when she wants he can get fined."

What I said IS: In marriage men can't force their wife's to have sex against woman's will - WIFE CAN FORCE HER HUSBAND AGAINST HIS WILL TO HAVE SEX - WHAT IS RAPE.
Actually, the story in question was part of a divorce case. AFIAK in France, the person asking for this type of divorce proceeding has to foot the legal bill, but he/she can also sue for damages if the divorce causes him/her to suffer in some way.

OFC, the media reported it as "IN FARNCE U HAV TO HAV SECKS OR GET FIN11!!1" because that gets more pageviews.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
FelixG said:
Nasrin said:
I find those definitions of feminism to be sorely lacking. Feminism is the crazy idea that everybody deserves to be treated like a human being, regardless of things like age, race, gender or sexual orientation.
Your definition of feminism fails. That is egalitarianism.

OT: I said no, I care about everyones rights, not just women.
Well I learned mine in the course of a philosophy degree, so I'm quite comfortable with the conclusions I've drawn. You're free to think what you like.

DeleteThisAcc

Nov 19, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:

Actually, the story in question was part of a divorce case. AFIAK in France, the person asking for this type of divorce proceeding has to foot the legal bill, but he/she can also sue for damages if the divorce causes him/her to suffer in some way.

OFC, the media reported it as "IN FARNCE U HAV TO HAV SECKS OR GET FIN11!!1" because that gets more pageviews.

First miss quote me on purpose, now try to tell me I am wrong. ok. I was wrong, not getting enough sex for woman is more damaging than violating husbands free will to not have sex.
also, since you are so smart, please explain me all other things like: why qualifications for women are lowered when job hunting, why there is gender quotas (where gender means female), why females gets in jail for shorter time than men for same crime, why feminists require females to get well paid positions while doesn't require females to have equal job opportunities in eg coal mining, why female genitals mutilation is bad while male genitals mutilation is ok, why females has so many privileges in law, why in case of domestic violence men is arrested even if female is attacker, why creating list of 15 sexiest scientist females is offensive, why all men are rapists without exception... I am sure you have great explanations for that.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Jiggy said:
Ahahahah MRAs.
Ahahahah Kahunaburger. You done derpin' Bro? See, because that's the kind of behavior that leads other people to tell feminists like you to go fuck themselves. It's almost as if you are some kind of meta-feminism-troll, trying to make them look bad.

Once you simmer down a bit, let's take another look at the comment I was responding to.

Arkaniack said:
I am for equal rights and opportunities of genders (as MALE and FEMALE transvestites and cross dressers can go to hell)
I don't know about you, but I find it hilarious when an MRA is trying to establish himself/herself as a egalitarian progressive but is unable to keep his/her sexism/homophobia/transphobia/etc. in long enough to do that.