Poll: Are you a feminist?

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
Equal rights? Yeah all for it. But the term feminist has become something other than its original meaning. Ever since my friend couldn't witness the birth of his daughter because he wasn't married and the mother gets all rights I said "screw feminism." Not that the original idea is bad, I'm all for equal rights for men, women, gays, bis, race, ect, but I feel feminism isn't the same anymore.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
By the definition, yes, but I wouldn't like calling myself that. It feels like focusing on JUST women's rights to me, and I believe that EVERYONE should be equal.

'Cause you know, I hate all races, sexes and creeds equally. I'm an egalitarian.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Arkaniack said:
gender quotas
Depends on what the quota's for, of course, but at least in American admissions men are a larger beneficiary of gender quotas than women. The female applicant pool is larger than the male applicant pool.

Arkaniack said:
why all men are rapists without exception...
Bwuh?

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
purplecactus said:
Jonluw said:
I don't identify as feminist because the word holds lots of different connotations depending on whom you ask, and I believe I shouldn't have to specify that I want the sexes to be equal. It should be the default position.
That's pretty much my reason for voting no. I'm for equal rights across the board, because it should be so already.
That's pretty much my opinion as well. I am not a feminist, I just think that all people are equal.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Nasrin said:
FelixG said:
Nasrin said:
I find those definitions of feminism to be sorely lacking. Feminism is the crazy idea that everybody deserves to be treated like a human being, regardless of things like age, race, gender or sexual orientation.
Your definition of feminism fails. That is egalitarianism.

OT: I said no, I care about everyones rights, not just women.
Well I learned mine in the course of a philosophy degree, so I'm quite comfortable with the conclusions I've drawn. You're free to think what you like.
But y r u using def u got from book lernin? I saw on the fox news that 'feminist' means 'woman who is tryin to keep poor oppressed men liek me down!'

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
No. I treat (and distrust) everyone equally regardless of race, gender or nationality. In my eyes you are simply a human and will be treated as such - that means no special treatment for either gender.

DeleteThisAcc

Nov 19, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
I don't know about you, but I find it hilarious when an MRA is trying to establish himself/herself as a egalitarian progressive but is unable to keep his/her sexism/homophobia/transphobia/etc. in long enough to do that.
these are nothing to do with feminism, also it's my problem. By the way I have reasons to not like traps (different topic, you can message me in PM, but since you are troll I doubt I will answer). Plus I am not from MRA, I am for equal male/female rights.

DeleteThisAcc

Nov 19, 2009
Jiggy said:
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
Married man can't force his wife to have sex with him,
This is something you have a problem with? I thought "rape is bad" was something we could all get behind.
DON'T QUOTE ME OUT OF CONTEXT!

"Married man can't force his wife to have sex with him, in france if man doesn't please his wife when she wants he can get fined."

What I said IS: In marriage men can't force their wife's to have sex against woman's will - WIFE CAN FORCE HER HUSBAND AGAINST HIS WILL TO HAVE SEX - WHAT IS RAPE.
Actually, the story in question was part of a divorce case. AFIAK in France, the person asking for this type of divorce proceeding has to foot the legal bill, but he/she can also sue for damages if the divorce causes him/her to suffer in some way.

OFC, the media reported it as "IN FARNCE U HAV TO HAV SECKS OR GET FIN11!!1" because that gets more pageviews.

First miss quote me on purpose, now try to tell me I am wrong. ok. I was wrong, not getting enough sex for woman is more damaging than violating husbands free will to not have sex.
also, since you are so smart, please explain me all other things like: why qualifications for women are lowered when job hunting, why there is gender quotas (where gender means female), why females gets in jail for shorter time than men for same crime, why feminists require females to get well paid positions while doesn't require females to have equal job opportunities in eg coal mining, why female genitals mutilation is bad while male genitals mutilation is ok, why females has so many privileges in law, why in case of domestic violence men is arrested even if female is attacker, why creating list of 15 sexiest scientist females is offensive, why all men are rapists without exception... I am sure you have great explanations for that.
Doesn't the fact that he constantly goes "derp, hahaha MRAs" tip you off that he won't give any answer to those things and will just hand wave them?
Yes, but he proves that feminists dodges "equality", and people that are reading will possibly notice how retarded they are.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Jiggy said:
Also, I've seen you with your "lol MRA" idiocy at other spots, you generally use MRA as a derogative term which just goes to show your ignorance.
I'll stop laughing at MRAs when MRAs stop being hilarious.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Arkaniack said:
By the way I have reasons to not like traps (different topic, you can message me in PM, but since you are troll I doubt I will answer).
People use that word outside of 4chan? I'm shocked.

...but seriously, dude, finding a surprise dick somewhere doesn't justify transphobia, and transphobia doesn't help you establish your credibility as a genuine egalitarian.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Nasrin said:
FelixG said:
Nasrin said:
I find those definitions of feminism to be sorely lacking. Feminism is the crazy idea that everybody deserves to be treated like a human being, regardless of things like age, race, gender or sexual orientation.
Your definition of feminism fails. That is egalitarianism.

OT: I said no, I care about everyones rights, not just women.
Well I learned mine in the course of a philosophy degree, so I'm quite comfortable with the conclusions I've drawn. You're free to think what you like.
But y r u using def u got from book lernin? I saw on the fox news that 'feminist' means 'woman who is tryin to keep poor oppressed men liek me down!'
Because that's exactly what Felix said...

All you ever do in these discussions is quote people out of context and take huge strawmen for a ride.
Please point me to the place in my comment where I said I was responding to Felix.

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
Flames66 said:
purplecactus said:
Jonluw said:
I don't identify as feminist because the word holds lots of different connotations depending on whom you ask, and I believe I shouldn't have to specify that I want the sexes to be equal. It should be the default position.
That's pretty much my reason for voting no. I'm for equal rights across the board, because it should be so already.
That's pretty much my opinion as well. I am not a feminist, I just think that all people are equal.
That's like saying "I don't subscribe to any particular religion but I'm not an atheist" - Feminism is implied by the whole "equal rights" thing. You can be a feminist and also support equal rights for men/minorities/pets/trees/whatever - in fact being a feminist necessitates men should have equal rights to anyone else because the word "equal" goes both ways. That's the point in fact.

I'm really not sure why half the people in the thread seem to think "feminism" precludes caring about about anyone else's rights because there's really no reason why it would. In fact I'd probably expect feminists to care more about other people's rights, given they're most likely aware of some disparities already.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Keoul said:
OT: I like to categorize feminists into 2 sub categories, Equalists and Extremists. Pretty simple to guess what the differences are. I am neither, just want equal rights for everyone not for one specific group of people.
Not sure the point of pointing out extremists. Extremism exists in all philosophies, religions and cultures.

DeleteThisAcc

Nov 19, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
gender quotas
Depends on what the quota's for, of course, but at least in American admissions men are a larger beneficiary of gender quotas than women. The female applicant pool is larger than the male applicant pool.
let me tell you what happens in rest of the world:
Boss opens small company, he needs 10 good workers.
20 men and 20 women come for job.
In boss puts them by qualification in hiring line.
He wants to take 8 men and 2 women - others are less qualified.
Gender quota says: "Thou shall have half of your workers female if your job is not coal mining or toxic waste disposal"
Boss drops 3 men that was more qualified for job and takes 3 women that were less qualified.
Company doesn't work as well because of workers not having best possible qualifications.
But! Lets say that qualification line was different!
What If all women were more qualified than men?
So boss wants to hire 10 women.
Gender quota says: " Well chosen"..
Yah, EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES AND RIGHTS... Thank you feminism.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PurePareidolia said:
That's like saying "I don't subscribe to any particular religion but I'm not an atheist" - Feminism is implied by the whole "equal rights" thing.
Yes, but the word "feminism" as well as "feminist" has developed into a slur thanks to a very successful war on semantics run by some pretty sleazy folks. People become really quick to distance themselves from the terms and the concepts now equated with them.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
gender quotas
let me tell you what happens in rest of the world:
Boss opens small company, he needs 10 good workers.
20 men and 20 women come for job.
In boss puts them by qualification in hiring line.
He wants to take 8 men and 2 women - others are less qualified.
Gender quota says: "Thou shall have half of your workers female if your job is not coal mining or toxic waste disposal"
Boss drops 3 men that was more qualified for job and takes 3 women that were less qualified.
Company doesn't work as well because of workers not having best possible qualifications.
But! Lets say that qualification line was different!
What If all women were more qualified than men?
So boss wants to hire 10 women.
Gender quota says: " Well chosen"..
Yah, EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES AND RIGHTS... Thank you feminism.
And I'm sure this isn't a specious argument with no actual evidence behind it.