Poll: Are you a feminist?

Duggan1

Mar 14, 2011
By those definitions, I am a feminist. However, I identify as a humanist, and I think you should too.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
Well, I actually agree with you that quotas are basically a band-aid for a larger structural problem (i.e., the unofficial quotas in management/boardrooms/etc). But pretending that women are the sole beneficiary of gender quotas is an over-simplification, too - the effects of the quota depend on the applicant pool for whatever the quota's for.
Really? Forcing company to hire women without even looking at their qualifications can be beneficial?(not beneficial to company or even COUNTRY due to company making less profit thus paying less tax) And how is more qualified man that did not got job is "beneficiary of gender quota"?
A "beneficiary" of something is someone who benefits from something. Calling someone a "beneficiary" of a policy does not imply a value judgment on the policy's benefit (or lack thereof) to society.
Yes women benefit from gender quotas. And company, country, and males that did not get job suffers. Equal rights and opportunities benefits women.
Well, women are the immediate beneficiaries of some gender quotas, and men are the immediate beneficiaries of others. It depends on the applicant pool.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'm for equal rights regardless of sex, sexuality, race, etc.

So even if your definition of feminism doesn't cover all of those, I think I can safely say that it's one piece of the larger puzzle.

So, yes, I'm a feminist. As for doing anything actively... well... I argue on the Internet. >_>

DeleteThisAcc

Nov 19, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
I don't "mind" transvestites as long as they don't lie and hunt for mates. If you are transvestite and going to date someone - tell them "what" you are. (and " oh they are born that way" is BS. Really? Man that had wife and children and was cool all around suddenly decides that he is a woman?)
I've got a better idea. Why don't we, as a society, stop trying to micromanage the clothing and gender identification of people in our society? You know, treat people like people, even if they *gasp* don't conform to 19th century American/European gender norms?
or even better - why don't we stop *gasp* lying? Oh wait, that would kill feminism, prevent transvestites from ruining peoples lives (some transvestite kinda screwed someones I know life)

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
FelixG said:
Kahunaburger said:
Abandon4093 said:
It honestly does not come off that way
Eh... people see what they want to see, and get offended by what they want to get offended by. Not much I can do to change that.
Yet you ignored a polite request to remove my quote from it so there was no miscommunication. So it is obvious you meant it as an insult.
You can think that if you want. It wasn't about you, but w/e. If you want to be offended, you'll find something that offends you.

Abandon4093 said:
intentionally outrageous strawman position of the other parties stance
Gee, I wonder why my line had very little do do with what Felix was saying? Could it be... because it wasn't meant to represent what he was saying? No, that's too obvious.

DeleteThisAcc

Nov 19, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
Well, I actually agree with you that quotas are basically a band-aid for a larger structural problem (i.e., the unofficial quotas in management/boardrooms/etc). But pretending that women are the sole beneficiary of gender quotas is an over-simplification, too - the effects of the quota depend on the applicant pool for whatever the quota's for.
Really? Forcing company to hire women without even looking at their qualifications can be beneficial?(not beneficial to company or even COUNTRY due to company making less profit thus paying less tax) And how is more qualified man that did not got job is "beneficiary of gender quota"?
A "beneficiary" of something is someone who benefits from something. Calling someone a "beneficiary" of a policy does not imply a value judgment on the policy's benefit (or lack thereof) to society.
Yes women benefit from gender quotas. And company, country, and males that did not get job suffers. Equal rights and opportunities benefits women.
Well, women are the immediate beneficiaries of some gender quotas, and men are the immediate beneficiaries of others. It depends on the applicant pool.
" It depends on the applicant pool."
ugh... explain. Give example or something. I am afraid you don't get what I am speaking about.

Buleet

Feb 21, 2010
I personally tend to have my doubts about feminists as the very loud minority tends to be, ironically enough, sexist towards men.
By now i think that in most countries women and men have the same rights. as far as i know with my ignorant brain.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
ward0630 said:
Feminism is a very good idea in theory, but in practice it sometimes leads to pure stupidity.
Absolutely the way I feel. I've heard feminists complain about how society separates boys and girls from birth by the color pink vs. blue, and write essays (in my literary theory class) about how girls are not allowed to like certain cartoons because it's a "boy's show." Such incredibly trivial and selfish that it reminds me about that Resident Evil 5 racist malarkey.

I completely support equal rights, but that includes the equal right of women *and* men. Feminists only care about women's equal rights and that's why I think feminism is selfish and doesn't work. If feminists cared about women *and* men's rights it wouldn't sound so trivial and probably won't that "pure stupidity" you mentioned.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
That at one time was the mean but like the word queer which at one time simply ment odd. The word has taken on a diffrent meaning. So no I'm an equalist.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
" It depends on the applicant pool."
ugh... explain. Give example or something. I am afraid you don't get what I am speaking about.
See also: three pages back. [http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20111646-503544.html] The female applicant pool is larger than the male applicant pool for college admissions in the states. So for the colleges that have gender quotas, males are generally the primary beneficiary of these quotas. Incidentally, this is why I don't like the quota system: the effects are pretty random, and it doesn't do much about the underlying causes of inequality.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
I don't "mind" transvestites as long as they don't lie and hunt for mates. If you are transvestite and going to date someone - tell them "what" you are. (and " oh they are born that way" is BS. Really? Man that had wife and children and was cool all around suddenly decides that he is a woman?)
I've got a better idea. Why don't we, as a society, stop trying to micromanage the clothing and gender identification of people in our society? You know, treat people like people, even if they *gasp* don't conform to 19th century American/European gender norms?
or even better - why don't we stop *gasp* lying? Oh wait, that would kill feminism, prevent transvestites from ruining peoples lives (some transvestite kinda screwed someones I know life)
Wait... what? You're gonna need to elaborate on this one a bit.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
The word feminist was clearly meant to have a female bias, just look at the word! What's next? Should believing in equality of races make you a negroist? This is stupid.

What then do you call the subcategory of people who specifically seek out and fight all perceived sexism against women? Are they femifeminists?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Arkaniack said:
Kahunaburger said:
Arkaniack said:
When I tell you I'm a woman (I'm a transgender woman), I'm not "lying", I'm telling you the truth. Why shouldn't it be your responsibility to tell all your partners that you don't like transgender people?

If someone doesn't like bisexuals, and dates a bisexual without knowing it, is the bisexual a liar for not telling them they were a bisexual?

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Nasrin said:
I find those definitions of feminism to be sorely lacking. Feminism is the crazy idea that everybody deserves to be treated like a human being, regardless of things like age, race, gender or sexual orientation.
No. That's being an egalitarian (equalist for short).

Feminist fights for equal rights, solely by combating sexism. Egalitarian would fight for equal rights in all fields; political, financial, racial, sex and anything else. You will find an egalitarian supporting feminist movements, gay rights, racism and anything else that fits that bill.

So in short, an egalitarian is a feminist but not all feminists are egalitarians.