Poll: Are you a feminist?

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
I have a lot of political/ethical/moral/philosophical beliefs in common with what I understand to be the core tenets of Feminism but I am not one.

This poll has no option for me and thus its clearly biased, which means I can dismiss it any results it produces.

^Sarcasm at the end btw, for the slow of thinking.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I believe in equal rights for all people, so on one hand I am a feminist but my feminist...ness applies to everything human so no I'm not at the same time.

That_Sneaky_Camper

Aug 19, 2011
I'm closer to a humanist than I am a feminist, I believe in the rights of all human beings. Feminism has too many negative connotations, it makes it seem exclusive to female rights when we should care about male rights too.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Mikodite said:
I would be hard-pressed to find a feminist that thought men suck and should be mal-treated (though misandrists exists), however what you are talking about is not their fight, and therefore they are not going to champion it, being women and all, whom are too busy with issues like female reproductive rights, being treated like meat for showing some skin, slut shaming, sex-trafficking, having pictures of Mario sodomizing them for even so much as saying there is misogyny in gaming culture where it has been suggested that it is not a vocal minority.

So... why don't you champion it? Your a man, and it affects you as a man. Afraid of getting made fun of and laughed at? Guess what? First wave feminists were mocked in their day. So are gay rights activists. Even third wave feminists are routinely mocked, because apparently abortion is a trivial problem, and there is nothing amoral at all about implying that the gaming industry fucks women in the ass. SUCK IT UP! You and other egalitarian males who feels the wraith of the double standard should totally stand up for your right to custody of your kids, fair and equal treatment in the judicial system, and not being made out as retards on television.
Maybe I should have kept the original post intact so you would understand what we were talking about.

The original post was here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.381869-Poll-Are-you-a-feminist?page=5#15058534]. It talks about losing respect for feminists because of *trivial* complaints, not the serious ones you're mentioning. Abortion isn't trivial because it, quite literally, is a matter of life and death and feminists aren't the only ones that are fighting that battle. It's also religion and more factions. The only people that consider it trivial are fools with no grasp on the topic.

As for calling me an "egalitarian male," No. If you insist, just call me an egalitarian; gender's outside of this argument. This is about feminists in general, not just the females. I won't speak up, not because I'm afraid, but because I just don't want to be politically active. It's something I wouldn't enjoy. I'd rather have the daily routine of going to work then coming home to spend time with my family, not marching around waving protest signs.

I'm certain there are fathers that have had unfair treatment with custody battles because of stereotypes and I truly do sympathize with them, not because I'm a man, but because I love kids and look forward to being a father, myself. And even feminists can sympathize with a loving father who just lost his child (right?). Anyone political can speak up, a feminist, too. It certainly would be more meaningful than complaining about the new Hitman trailer. It would give me more respect for them. Actually, I would have complete faith in them if a feminist openly fought for a loving father who just lost his daughter/son in court. I'd probably cry reading a news article about that.

However, your point about making public statements against "men being made out as retards on television?" That *is* a trivial issue and that's the kind of complaining that's made me lose respect for feminists over the years. Life issues are important to advocate, but public appearances and stereotypes? In school I used to say "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me." Why advocate against something that is obviously untrue? Women don't (usually) dress so exposed, so why care that they do in video games? Men (usually) don't recklessly have a child and abandon them, so why care that it's expressed often in soap operas, movies, etc.? It was this kind of complaining that my original post was based on, and it is the main reason why I think feminists (male and female) should move on to defending both genders. Maybe that way they can stop complaining about the trivial stuff and always focus on important issues.

moopig66

Feb 1, 2011
oh... no reference... sad face, and here i was hoping that you would reciprocate with a source that proved your point instead of deflecting the argument... :(

Asserting ones independence and equality is not sexism, its fair. I strongly support gay rights as someone directly affected by the outcome of said legislation, does this mean that im "hetrophobic"?

I heard that term the other day from a christian extremist person.. i like it... hetrophobic... although it does make little wavy lines appear underneath it... perhaps its because its not a real thing??

Oh and... "85% of domestic violence reported is against women" as sited by: http://domesticviolencestatistics.org/men-the-overlooked-victims-of-domestic-violence/

its an article about men affected by domestic violence! Men are, according to one study, 40% of the individuals whom have severe domestic violence committed against them, however, this statistic seems to count children whom are male, which is somewhat unfair if you think about it. But the reason that so little attention is paid to male victims of domestic violence is because men are statistically stronger than women on the average. As well, the study shows that men ore often abused with a deadly weapon (65% of the time), this being a fact that asserts the truthyness of my last statement... Colbert reference...
Father Time said:
moopig66 said:
Aw, and here i was hoping to have a thread without insults... dow well.

I would love to see your statistics source study... unless you... pulled it out of your butt...

and i love love love when people claim that feminists are somehow sexist. I have spoken to and am friends with many people who would be considered extreme feminists and never have i felt that they are in any way sexist. Its a slur, calling feminists sexist, that is founded on nothing other than a knee jerk defensive reaction from people who oppose feminism.
Wait so are you saying that no feminists are sexist or that you hate the claim that all of them are sexist?

Because if it's the first then it's easy to refute.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i really wish the people who identify as feminist would be more vocal against all the sexist threads and people on this site. i honestly felt like i was one of the only feminists here

flames09

Nov 26, 2011
Like Hugh Hefner, who was once a feminist but changed to humanist after he saw the movement become hijacked by radical women who outstretch the purpose of giving equal rights into creating the superiority of women.

The feminist movement has been mutilated into something unrecognizable now.

So now, the term 'humanist' is much more accurate and equal.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
moopig66 said:

I would love to see your statistics source study... unless you... pulled it out of your butt...

and i love love love when people claim that feminists are somehow sexist. I have spoken to and am friends with many people who would be considered extreme feminists and never have i felt that they are in any way sexist. Its a slur, calling feminists sexist, that is founded on nothing other than a knee jerk defensive reaction from people who oppose feminism.

and... i apologize for any typos, i just got a new keyboard :p

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/1999/jan/22/alantravis
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-224-x/85-224-x2010000-eng.pdf

there's some.

and here's a feminist organization that's using fake stats.

http://www.mavaw.org/

If you watch, you can notice most if not all the stats used are 15 years old. Intentionally misleading. Both sides of Domestic Violence need to be addressed, many feminists simply don't agree.

And here's the founder of the first battered woman's refuge backing me up, she knew the score.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pizzey-makes-a-stand-for-the-battered-man-1083534.html

Ogargd

Nov 7, 2010
It depresses me that it's only at 50/50 (luckily with the yes feminist side winning) I assume it's due to the misconception that feminism advocates that women have more rights than men or that somehow the process of equal wages/rights is unfair...

moopig66

Feb 1, 2011
And what possible purpose would the evil women have for misleading all you soft and trusting men? I mean honestly, its attitude like this that holds our nation and our culture back. You have created a false narrative for a group that you have been told falsities about. Attitudes like this lead to very very bad things historically, i would hope that a group like us gamers would understand somewhat of whats its like to be subjugated. Why cant we all just be nice and happy and get along with each other? its not hard... really...
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

there's some.

If you watch, you can notice most if not all the stats used are 15 years old. Intentionally misleading. Both sides of Domestic Violence need to be addressed, many feminists simply don't agree.

And here's the founder of the first battered woman's refuge backing me up, she knew the score.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pizzey-makes-a-stand-for-the-battered-man-1083534.html

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
Im FOR equality and gender rights etc etc, Im passionately against feminism.

Feminism is a steaming pile of shit these days, honestly it seems the only things that sprout from feminism are self-righteous women who want to do nothing other than bash men over and over again and crying out for rights that weigh in THEIR FAVOR as opposed to true gender equality, and people like Anita Sarkeesian (oh boy here we go) who seem to think every portrayal of a woman ever conceived has to be a positive, idealistic godess superior to every man surrounding her, as if women are somehow free of faults and therefore should NEVER be portrayed as having any, AS IF IT EVEN MATTERS TO THE WORLD.

Honeslty, I feel bad for any female that tries to speak out against legitimate issues regarding gender equality (pay rates, the incredible degradation of women in some countries to basically objects etc), because they just get drowned out by pointless shit like Sarkeesian.

Not much of a debate on my half, but this shit just really ringles my jammies.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Q from Impractical Jokers had some great commentary on the Tell Em Steve Dave podcast. He's a cheerleader for women's rights and wishes them all the empowerment that a man has... but he can't truly be a feminist because he is male. Simply put, no matter how much he likes the idea of feminism, he cannot deny that in a world where women were submissive second class citizens, he as a male would reap all the benefits.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm pointing out that the group isn't just extremists, one wants equality for all women and one just wants women all on top. I'm making sure my understanding of feminists are made clear so if I'm actually wrong someone can correct me or something.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
moopig66 said:
And what possible purpose would the evil women have for misleading all you soft and trusting men? I mean honestly, its attitude like this that holds our nation and our culture back. You have created a false narrative for a group that you have been told falsities about. Attitudes like this lead to very very bad things historically, i would hope that a group like us gamers would understand somewhat of whats its like to be subjugated. Why cant we all just be nice and happy and get along with each other? its not hard... really...
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

there's some.

I'm not going to play the speculation game with you, nor did I say all women or evil or any nonsense as that, stop building straw men. It's more likely it's just ignorance or confirmation bias, as is your case.

Those stats are as solid as you can get. All I ask is that there be almost as many shelters for men as there are for women, because men need help to. You are not going to end the violence by pretending there is only one side to the issue, and until feminism catches up to the realities of domestic violence today, I'm not going to support them. Show me the feminist groups trying to get men's shelters open, or educate people about DV against both genders, I'll believe they are about equality.

The insulting of people who advocate for men's rights is not helping your case.