Poll: Are you a feminist?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Prof.Beany said:
who seem to think every portrayal of a woman ever conceived has to be a positive, idealistic godess superior to every man surrounding her, as if women are somehow free of faults and therefore should NEVER be portrayed as having any, AS IF IT EVEN MATTERS TO THE WORLD.
thats not true at all

moopig66

Feb 1, 2011
Oh god, im not going to debate with you... ive seen you before and meet people of your persuasion. One day you will, hopefully, wake up and realize that taking an opinion because you want to be contrary is not a healthy thing to do. Your words are the regurgitation labyrinth of machination created by a particularly spiteful group of persons who dont want woman's equality. Please, for your own sake, stop being contrary for the sake of contrariety, and start formulating your own opinions based on your own experiences, like an adult...

and here i was hoping to have an adult conversation... oh well :)
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
And what possible purpose would the evil women have for misleading all you soft and trusting men? I mean honestly, its attitude like this that holds our nation and our culture back. You have created a false narrative for a group that you have been told falsities about. Attitudes like this lead to very very bad things historically, i would hope that a group like us gamers would understand somewhat of whats its like to be subjugated. Why cant we all just be nice and happy and get along with each other? its not hard... really...
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
Aw, and here i was hoping to have a thread without insults... dow well.

I would love to see your statistics source study... unless you... pulled it out of your butt...

and i love love love when people claim that feminists are somehow sexist. I have spoken to and am friends with many people who would be considered extreme feminists and never have i felt that they are in any way sexist. Its a slur, calling feminists sexist, that is founded on nothing other than a knee jerk defensive reaction from people who oppose feminism.

and... i apologize for any typos, i just got a new keyboard :p

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/1999/jan/22/alantravis
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-224-x/85-224-x2010000-eng.pdf

there's some.

and here's a feminist organization that's using fake stats.

http://www.mavaw.org/

If you watch, you can notice most if not all the stats used are 15 years old. Intentionally misleading. Both sides of Domestic Violence need to be addressed, many feminists simply don't agree.

And here's the founder of the first battered woman's refuge backing me up, she knew the score.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pizzey-makes-a-stand-for-the-battered-man-1083534.html
I'm not going to play the speculation game with you, nor did I say all women or evil or any nonsense as that, stop building straw men. It's more likely it's just ignorance or confirmation bias, as is your case.

Those stats are as solid as you can get. All I ask is that there be almost as many shelters for men as there are for women, because men need help to. You are not going to end the violence by pretending there is only one side to the issue, and until feminism catches up to the realities of domestic violence today, I'm not going to support them. Show me the feminist groups trying to get men's shelters open, or educate people about DV against both genders, I'll believe they are about equality.

The insulting of people who advocate for men's rights is not helping your case.

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
Flames66 said:
That is pretty much my view on religion.
So I guess that means you're a very noncommittal atheist.

If you don't claim belief in a God or Gods, that makes you an atheist. Even if your Agnostic, Ignostic, whatever - anyone who doesn't have faith in the gods is by definition an atheist. That's just what the word means, in the same way feminism means equal gender rights. These things are default positions - they aren't something you have to subscribe to in order to be a part of - in fact you would have to specifically take a position against them not to have those labels.

Flames66 said:
The point I am making is that, while I believe in equal rights for women, you won't see me out at feminist rallies waving flags. For me, there are issues in the world that are more important, such as the institution of fear and surveillance that is constantly growing is society.
Well I wouldn't be at rallies either but I don't think that's a requirement. And again, having more pressing concerns is not mutually exclusive to caring about equal rights - it's perfectly possible to do both, the latter is just irrelevant to this discussion.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Men and Women are different! We think different, we act different, We are different. So you cannot measure set facts and really use them as evidence for women being out done in every way by men.

Example Pay, More men take the dangerous, undesirable work and generally favour connivance over comforts. Women the opposite generally going for comfort, easy commute, benefits etc. over money. And guess what because of that men get paid more on average. Of cause this is very generalised and of cause you will give cross overs, but for the Moriarty this is the case.

Men get shat on when it comes to devour and child custody.

And Women generally get less jail time than men for the same crimes.

So all in all I think the equal rights thing is done and does not need to go further, Well for the most part I feel it probably just needs to be balanced a bit to make it easier for the lesser downfalls on both sides.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PurePareidolia said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yes, but the word "feminism" as well as "feminist" has developed into a slur thanks to a very successful war on semantics run by some pretty sleazy folks. People become really quick to distance themselves from the terms and the concepts now equated with them.
True or not, I dislike the idea of giving up on a valid word because some people dislike it - distancing yourself from the word only gives it more of a stigma and frankly, it's letting a bunch of mysoginists win, which I refuse to do on principle.
I dislike it, but I'm not most people and I suspect neither are you. The thing is, we've (as a community, at least), abandoned many fine words and as such have actually undermined the causes. The people on here are like "I don't want to be associated with THAT," and it helps divide people.

Words do kind of matter, and this is one of those cases. If you're so scared that you retreat when someone says "feminist," they've won before they have to say anything.

Feb 22, 2009
I think most people ARE feminists, there aren't too many people who think the sexes should be unequal at this point - it's just the label itself that bothers people, since it so often gets associated with the kind of misandry and intolerance that parts of the feminist movement have turned into.

But yeah, I'm a feminist. I recognise that that's a very unrepresentative group and most feminists have nothing against men.

Rottweiler

Jan 20, 2008
I favor equality- unfortunately, I advocate equality of *responsibility* as well as equality of benefits or perks. That too often tends to be low on the priority lists of people who loudly claim they want 'equality'.

As for being a feminist...I personally find the term has been abused (by both genders) to the point where it's meaningless. Are there Malenists? Are there people out there allowed to fight for equal rights for Men?

Nope. The assumption- and that's what it is- is that somehow "men" have superior rights in all instances and situations, and that isn't factual. Some places, yes. Others- for example, the US- women get rights and perks men *don't* but rarely do I see anyone fighting for the other side of that issue.

Equality means everyone has the same rights *and* responsibilities. Not 'payback for blah of oppression', not 'special consideration because of gender and/or physical issues', Equal.

Men should not be paid more simply because they're Men. By the same token, Women should be held to the same standards *as* men, not lowered standards. (Take a look at the lower physical fitness standards of Women in the military as opposed to Men. Equal? No.)

Seriously, there's a lot of people who support Equal Treatment, but too many on both sides don't want 'equal', they want to keep their special consideration.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
moopig66 said:
Oh god, im not going to debate with you... ive seen you before and meet people of your persuasion. One day you will, hopefully, wake up and realize that taking an opinion because you want to be contrary is not a healthy thing to do. Your words are the regurgitation labyrinth of machination created by a particularly spiteful group of persons who dont want woman's equality. Please, for your own sake, stop being contrary for the sake of contrariety, and start formulating your own opinions based on your own experiences, like an adult...

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
And what possible purpose would the evil women have for misleading all you soft and trusting men? I mean honestly, its attitude like this that holds our nation and our culture back. You have created a false narrative for a group that you have been told falsities about. Attitudes like this lead to very very bad things historically, i would hope that a group like us gamers would understand somewhat of whats its like to be subjugated. Why cant we all just be nice and happy and get along with each other? its not hard... really...
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

I would love to see your statistics source study... unless you... pulled it out of your butt...

and i love love love when people claim that feminists are somehow sexist. I have spoken to and am friends with many people who would be considered extreme feminists and never have i felt that they are in any way sexist. Its a slur, calling feminists sexist, that is founded on nothing other than a knee jerk defensive reaction from people who oppose feminism.

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

there's some.

If you watch, you can notice most if not all the stats used are 15 years old. Intentionally misleading. Both sides of Domestic Violence need to be addressed, many feminists simply don't agree.

And here's the founder of the first battered woman's refuge backing me up, she knew the score.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pizzey-makes-a-stand-for-the-battered-man-1083534.html
I'm not going to play the speculation game with you, nor did I say all women or evil or any nonsense as that, stop building straw men. It's more likely it's just ignorance or confirmation bias, as is your case.

Those stats are as solid as you can get. All I ask is that there be almost as many shelters for men as there are for women, because men need help to. You are not going to end the violence by pretending there is only one side to the issue, and until feminism catches up to the realities of domestic violence today, I'm not going to support them. Show me the feminist groups trying to get men's shelters open, or educate people about DV against both genders, I'll believe they are about equality.

Look at the stats and stop being blind to your own bias. I fight for everyone's rights, maybe you should do the same.

You stand here with a straight face telling me I'm buying into some kind of agenda, yet you ignore the stats I posted, from UK and Canada, you ignore the woman who founded the FIRST woman's shelter (she should be a feminist icon BTW). Yet you have the gall to tell me I'm not forming my own opinions?

How about you do some real research into the groups you support, instead of blindly running to their defence.

I'll post the stats again, if you're mature enough to actually look at them.

moopig66

Feb 1, 2011
OMG what part of not talking to do you do you not understand? One of your articles that you so smugly posted, I ALREADY POSTED IN RESPONSE TO ANOTHER PERSON!!!!!!! Or at least one with the same information. You can read my deconstruction of that if you want!!

Did some evil six foot five tall 200lb women physicality and sexual abuse you at some point in the past? This irrational, vile distrust of a group of people who's only crime was being born with their reproductive parts on the inside is something beyond evil.

I don't know, my only experiences wit women is as a friend, being a member of the rainbow squad and all, but i have never EVER met this cartoon-ishly evil, seductive archetype of a women once in my life.

And no, no i will not be responding to whatever ill conceived, hateful, sexist thing you feel like responding at me. Please stop co-opting conversations in the message boards (ive seen you before) and go be nice and happy with all the other good boys and girls in the not-internet world. I must now leave for i have a date... with a real person... something i doubt you have much experience with.

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

there's some.

Look at the stats and stop being blind to your own bias. I fight for everyone's rights, maybe you should do the same.

You stand here with a straight face telling me I'm buying into some kind of agenda, yet you ignore the stats I posted, from UK and Canada, you ignore the woman who founded the FIRST woman's shelter (she should be a feminist icon BTW). Yet you have the gall to tell me I'm not forming my own opinions?

How about you do some real research into the groups you support, instead of blindly running to their defence.

SidheKnight

Nov 28, 2011
saintdane05 said:
Yes I do.

TV TRopes Copypasta tiem!

Common myths and misconceptions about feminism include:
All feminists are women.
Just as it's possible for straight people to be in favor of same-sex marriage, or for non-Jews to be against anti-Semitism, it is very much possible for men to identify as feminist. Some well-known men who identify as feminists or have expressed feminist ideals include Alan Alda, Joss Whedon, Kurt Cobain, John Lennon, Henrik Ibsen, John Stuart Mill, Linkara and most of his male colleagues, Frederick Douglass, and L. Frank Baum.
It's worth noting that there's a minority school of thought that says while men can (and should) support feminism, they shouldn't identify themselves as feminists, because they think feminism is fundamentally about women solving their own problems without looking to men to do it for them. Men sympathetic to feminism who agree with this point of view generally describe themselves as "pro-feminist."

All feminists are lesbians.
Lesbians have been an important part of the feminist movement pretty much from day one ? prominent lesbian or bisexual feminists include Andrea Dworkin, Valerie Solanas, Simone de Beauvoir, Judith Butler, Julia Serano, Camille Paglia and Mary Daly. However, many (probably most) feminists are straight women. There are also male feminists (straight, bisexual, gay and asexual), asexual feminists, transgender feminists, and feminists of any other sexuality and gender identity you can think of.
There have been a few feminist writers ? especially during the 1970's, before the movement had made as many gains as it had today ? who suggested that it might not be possible to have a truly egalitarian heterosexual relationship as long as sexism remained pervasive in society. This was fiercely debated even at the time, though, and it was never mainstream feminist dogma that women had to swear off sex with men to become feminists.

All feminists are hairy-legged, makeup-shunnin', boot-wearin' brutes.
As much as feminists dislike the "women must be dainty and pretty" messages that society/media blast at them, for most, it's the must part that they object to. Some feminists choose to avoid or reject mainstream beauty ideals as a statement of protest, and there are even some who adhere to a Real Women Never Wear Dresses philosophy ? but it's increasingly argued that valuing traditionally masculine behavior (like being unconcerned about looks) over traditionally feminine behavior (like wearing dresses and makeup) is ultimately pretty anti-feminist in itself. Most feminists just think men and women should be equally free to decide for themselves how much effort they care to put into their appearance.

Feminism was invented in the 1970s.
Go back to any place and time where there has been widespread discrimination against women, and you will find feminism. (Or at least something that looks like feminism if you squint hard enough.) The word "feminism" dates back to 1895, and Christine de Pizan was writing feminist works as far back as the early 15th century. If you believe that men can be feminists and that identifying with the movement isn't essential, then according to some interpretations of his work feminism may go all the way back to Euripides. That would make Feminism Older Than Feudalism. (On the other hand, some of his contemporaries called him misogynistic even by Ancient Greek standards.)

Feminists think men and women are 100% identical.
Most feminists would agree that there are slight, overall differences between the sexes. While sentiments like "men tend to be slightly physically stronger than women" can lead to arguments if stated/interpreted wrongly, the majority of feminists would concede that, yes, males generally have females beat in raw strength. What really grinds a feminist's gears are suggestions that:

* Something that applies to one sex is universal and cannot apply to the other sex. ("Any man is physically stronger than any woman, ever, period.")
* Differences between the sexes are an excuse for sexual discrimination. ("Women are not as physically strong as men, and thus no women should ever be allowed to have jobs that require lifting heavy objects.") (Or, even worse, "Women are not as physically strong as men, and thus no woman should ever be allowed to have jobs.")
Failure to adhere to expectations about one's sex is an excuse for ridicule. ("Any man weaker than a woman is a loser; any woman stronger than a man is a freak.")

Feminists are frigid, hate sex, and want to stop anyone from enjoying porn or fanservice.

Feminists have a problem with porn tropes that promote a degrading or hateful view of women (Victim Falls For Rapist, Not If They Enjoyed It Rationalization, Sex Slave, etc.), and with the ways the porn industry exploits a lot of the women who work for it. Some (again, this was a more popular position in the 1970's than it is today) do think porn inherently objectifies women and is therefore always misogynistic; other feminists, though, think what the world actually needs is better porn ? porn that presents sex as something where both partners' desires should be equally important. There's more of a consensus on fanservice: feminists are generally not against seeing sexy ladies in media, but don't like how often the ladies' Character Development is pushed aside in favor of looking at their, err, other developments. In any case, most feminists enjoy sex just fine, and those who don't are typically at least okay with the idea of it. There's even a whole faction of the movement, called Sex-Positive Feminism, that focuses on working to promote positive and empowering views of sexuality.

Feminists hate men, think women are better than men, and think women should have more power than men.

Women who seriously blame men for everything are known to readers of this wiki as Straw Feminists and to mainstream feminists as "wrong." Most feminists don't think sexism is primarily something all individual men do to all individual women ? the problem is patriarchy, which is the name for the whole system of cultural ideas and institutions that function to oppress and control women. Women can ? and frequently do ? act in ways that support patriarchy, and men can ? and do ? fight patriarchy. The point of feminism (as much as such a vast and highly fragmented movement can be said to have a point) is to raise women to the level of rights/respect that men have had for centuries, not to drag men down to subhuman levels as some cosmic act of revenge.

Feminists think women are the only ones who are hurt by sexism, and don't care about men's problems.

It's pretty uncontroversial in feminist circles to point out that patriarchy hurts men in plenty of ways. (Some would argue that it hurts women more on the whole, but others think the whole question of whose oppression is worse is a pointless distraction from actually working to fix things.) A lot of feminists specifically focus on the ways men's oppression and women's oppression are linked ? for instance, many argue that companies need to start granting paternity leave both so that fathers can have the chance to bond with their kids, and so that women aren't always assumed to be the ones who are automatically responsible for child care.

Feminists burn bras.

Back in The Sixties, there were some public demonstrations in which feminists threw bras, high heels, and other fashion-related items into trash cans to protest unrealistic standards of beauty. A newspaper headline compared these actions to men burning draft cards during The Vietnam War. The two ideas got jumbled together in the public consciousness, and the myth of bra-burning continues to this day.
Feminists are angry, bitter harpies.
Most feminists will have certain Double Standards they especially loathe; however, they don't go around being cranky all the time, any more than atheists do. (Besides, don't we all have certain double standards we especially loathe? Fundamental attribution error at work again, ladies and gentlemen.)
*Takes his time and reads carefully*

How do I change my poll answer from "no" to "yes"?

Captcha: "count your change" Now I'm afraid somebody's gonna scam me..

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
moopig66 said:
OMG what part of not talking to do you do you not understand? One of your articles that you so smugly posted, I ALREADY POSTED IN RESPONSE TO ANOTHER PERSON!!!!!!! Or at least one with the same information. You can read my deconstruction of that if you want!!

Did some evil six foot five tall 200lb women physicality and sexual abuse you at some point in the past? This irrational, vile distrust of a group of people who's only crime was being born with their reproductive parts on the inside is something beyond evil.

I don't know, my only experiences wit women is as a friend, being a member of the rainbow squad and all, but i have never EVER met this cartoon-ishly evil, seductive archetype of a women once in my life.

And no, no i will not be responding to whatever ill conceived, hateful, sexist thing you feel like responding at me. Please stop co-opting conversations in the message boards (ive seen you before) and go be nice and happy with all the other good boys and girls in the not-internet world. I must now leave for i have a date... with a real person... something i doubt you have much experience with.

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

there's some.

Actually I've been in a stable monogamous relationship for the past three years. And we're both quite happy in fact. But I do appreciate the wild strawmanning of my opinions and assumptions about my history and relationships. Really shows the quality of person that calls themselves feminist.

Proves my point about feminist attitudes to people who advocate for men's rights as well. Good job becoming an example.

EDIT: And feminists don't have to be female either, so what does not liking feminists have to do with their genitals? You're the one who keeps bringing their sex into this.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
In Search of Username said:
Darkmantle said:
Evil Smurf said:
I support equality for both sexes, I am a humanist.
Exactly

I call myself humanist as well, many don't understand the term though.
That's because the term has many, MANY different meanings and applications.
Oh? Enlighten me, maybe I'll switch terms if it doesn't mean what I think it does :p

probably better if everyone dropped labels and just focused on the issues actually...

moopig66

Feb 1, 2011
Well, i lied. I shall rebut, just this once.

Mens rights? MENS RIGHTS! MENS FUACKING RIGHTS!? Are you absolutely shitting me?? Has your brain absolutely gone that far off the deep end. Have you lost touch with this wonderful place we call reality that you would use a term like "mens rights" pow-faced? Men have the rights, men distribute the rights to those who are bellow them, MENS RIGHTS is a made up term.

This asinine attitude of "oh they are victimized so i want to be too!" is so disgustingly childish, so beyond rational thought it sickens me that you share the same species as i. grow the hell up. Take reality for a spin some day, its quite fun.

As someone who has personally been discriminated against my whole life for no other reason than my birth, i hole heatedly support the feminist movement. I believe in equal rights and equal opportunity for all. To not believe in such is a sin worse than all the rest. Be nice, be happy, treat all others with respect and kindness, its not a very hard life philosophy to live by.

Edit: oh... im a dude... i dont know if that came across...
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

there's some.

Actually I've been in a stable monogamous relationship for the past three years. And we're both quite happy in fact. But I do appreciate the wild strawmanning of my opinions and assumptions about my history and relationships. Really shows the quality of person that calls themselves feminist.

Proves my point about feminist attitudes to people who advocate for men's rights as well. Good job becoming an example.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
SecretNegative said:
Bocaj2000 said:
*sigh* You want evidence, here you go:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StrawFeminist

Is this more suitable for you?

It is ironic how you say how much you hate straw feminists. It actually seems like you agree with the woman in the video.
Umm, what?

It's not a straw feminist if there actually exist people like that in the real world, which by showing me this woman in your link, you proved that it exists.

Sure, there exists overexaggerated feminsts in fiction, but what has that got to do with anything? There exist overxaggerated vegetarians, nazis, politicans, partygoers, Joe Blows, manchauvinists. There exists overexaggerated images of real things in fiction, of basically every thing ever made.

And you what what? I do not agree with the woman in the video, shocking, huh? Seriously, how did you reach that conclusion?
The straw feminist belittles men / thinks of men as inferior / wants equality by taking away rights from men instead of gaining rights for women. it is an exaggeration, yes, but it is one that closely resembles what most people think of the word "feminist" and pushes them away from knowing the true meaning of the word. It's not your problem, but it's still a problem.

Also, I compared you to her because you both hate straw feminists.

Never mind. I'm talking about feminism with a guy who thinks rape is funny.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
moopig66 said:
Well, i lied. I shall rebut, just this once.

Mens rights? MENS RIGHTS! MENS FUACKING RIGHTS!? Are you absolutely shitting me?? Has your brain absolutely gone that far off the deep end. Have you lost touch with this wonderful place we call reality that you would use a term like "mens rights" pow-faced? Men have the rights, men distribute the rights to those who are bellow them, MENS RIGHTS is a made up term.

This asinine attitude of "oh they are victimized so i want to be too!" is so disgustingly childish, so beyond rational thought it sickens me that you share the same species as i. grow the hell up. Take reality for a spin some day, its quite fun.

As someone who has personally been discriminated against my whole life for no other reason than my birth, i hole heatedly support the feminist movement. I believe in equal rights and equal opportunity for all. To not believe in such is a sin worse than all the rest. Be nice, be happy, treat all others with respect and kindness, its not a very hard life philosophy to live by.

Edit: oh... im a dude... i dont know if that came across...
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
you want some stats man?

there's some.

Yeah men's rights. You are now displaying the classic feminist attitude when someone says that. Congrats.

Men need shelters too, the stats prove it. Why are you against taking care of battered men? I'm not saying close down the woman's shelters, I'm saying open up some shelters for men too.

Domestic violence against men is a real issue and needs real answers, not this dismissal coming from a proud feminist, who apparently supports "equal rights" yeah. Real equal.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Jonluw said:
I don't identify as feminist because the word holds lots of different connotations depending on whom you ask, and I believe I shouldn't have to specify that I want the sexes to be equal. It should be the default position.
It always makes me happy to see someone say what I came to a thread to say, in the first post. So I don't have to say it :D