Poll: Are you happy with your weight?

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Eh, 1m80 in length, 67 Kilo's (don't ask me for imperial measurements) and not to happy about it, blame my body dismorphic disorder. lost 12~13 kilo's in a year by eating healthier and doing more exercises. want to have a proper figure, which will hopefully happen.

Voted that I'm not happy with my physique.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
I wouldn't mind losing 10kilos... Cause im one fat fuck.
Just looking in a mirror makes me sick..

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
No, I am battling to stay under 400 pounds. I walked a lot all fall when I started, but the winter has really interfered since all the sidewalks are covered with snow and ice.

Pieturli

Mar 15, 2012
Tnekrtena said:
Pieturli said:
Sounds good to me!

Haha, I wouldn't even know where to start with questions, just whatever you think would help a complete novice to know and get their bearings would be massively appreciated! Sorry if that's asking a lot, just never had a chance to talk to someone about this stuff before, least without them asking to be paid as a personal trainer before they say anything more.
Welp, reading SS:BBT is the first step. Getting technique down is important, and the book does that extremely well. After that, registering on the starting strength forums is a good idea, it's free and in addition to Rip, there are a bunch of starting strength coaches on there answering questions as well. Just make sure to read the book and use the search function on the forums before asking, they get so many repetitive inquiries that they are tired of it:D

One important piece of advice that I ignored for a long time is to stick with a program. Seriously, stick with it. Program hopping is probably the biggest and most common mistake novices make. So grab that program, and run it until it stops working.

Also remember to eat and sleep a bunch. You don't grow in the gym, you grow from recovery. I have to say, and I'm not trying to be a jerk here, that you are quite thin, so I honestly wouldn't worry too much about putting on fat. Just eat and sleep and lift, and I think you'll be fine.

This bears repeating: Get your technique down. Bad form can cause injuries and stall progress, because bad form usually means that you are not developing everything the way it's supposed to.

I know this sounds like a commercial for Starting Strength, but it really is a great program and the people behind it know what they are talking about. Rip was never a particularly impressive lifter (611 squat, 633 deadlift and 407 bench) but he is an amazing coach. He's also got guys like Marty Gallagher, Doug Furnas, Ed Coan (greatest powerlifter of all time) and Kirk Karwoski standing by the stuff he says.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Too big currently. I'm not fat by any means, but I used to be a lot stronger and fitter, abs showing and all that yaknow :p

Used to go swimming 2-3x a week + running, but the last year or so I've mostly been sitting on my ass, playing too many games instead of actual sport as well. So yeah, need to get into that again, but it's not easy to find the discipline anew.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm quite fat myself and I have finally decided to do something about it and with a bit of a shove from an childhood friend I have finally started going to gym.

Been going to it for the past 5 weeks and I lost around 5kg's so as long as I keep at it I think I will be alright.

PS: I'm 2m (meters) tall and 150.9kg's (started with that). I'm currently at 145ish.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Currently 65kg and 172cm, 143lb and 5'8 for Americans. I also happen to have a body fat percentage of about 12.2%.

I am very happy with my current weight. Sure, I get somewhat colder in winter than most others, but 65kg is a good size for me. Never been on a diet, though I suspect that my general food intake is slightly healthier than that of most students, largely due to a dislike of heavily salted or fatty foods. Plus, my body fat percentage is apparently in the fit/athletic range, though I have basically no muscle definition.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
As many others in the world, I decided for New Years that I would revamp my efforts to become less of a fatty (I've always done little things before that but now I actually have a plan and a calorie counter thingy and whatnot)

if you'd like some tips, i have them but you've probably heard it all before.

my advice to you and anyone else is to get in tune with your body and drop off gassy, greasy and filler foods that reduce the energy and nutrition density of your meals, the result is you feel more full and you are literally gaining your calories and nutrients faster which means you have the power reserves to engage in intense activity.
also, avoid bread.

avoid protein powder x, it's designed for athletes with massive muscles to pay back the huge protein deficit they have in their diets due to repairing and building muscles the size of watermelons.
they work, you just don't need them. it's a complete waste of money because your body will just turn this to fat.

if you engage in a particularly intense or all-body activity, then you may benefit from these products, but start with small doses, or it's just going to end up as fat.

Food:
smaller portions of everything, and more diverse types of food something like this;

breakfast: Mediterranean vegtables with pasta and a glass of milk ( carbs, vitamins, fluids, calcium )
snack: get a small pack of fruit pieces, have a yoghart as a snack ( sugars and vitamins, calcium )
lunch: get a nice sized rice, mixed veg and steamed chicken breast/steak. ( core meal, protein, carbs, vitamins )
snack: throw in a pack of non salted mixed nuts, have an apple. ( essential fats, vitamins )
dinner: go get a nice steak with mixed veg of your choosing and yes, strip the fat off.( light on carbs, heavy on protein / vitamins )
don't forget your water, aim to stay well hydrated, keep a bottle of water handy and take a sip now and then to encourage your thirst response.

obviously vary the menu, but keep the goals in brackets in mind, consult a dietitian or a doctor for better advice.

drink a glass of water in the morning and evening.
your body needs water to do literally anything, having a reserve of it means you can get on with remodelling your body that much faster.

the main thing MOST people miss is that you need an in-between phase when training your body to do anything new
if you go from obese to physically active, some system in your body will doubtless fail.

this leads to the most common complaint about weight loss, 'i can't it hurts' or anything along those lines.
what you need to do is come up with a half way house between 'potato' and 'Usain bolt'

your activity should include all the core muscle movements of what you intend to do, but put much less stress on your body, if you can move at all you can exercise using that movement and train your body upto the point where you can achieve your goal of exercising 'fully' and finally shedding unreal amounts of fat

so, for example if you want to do 50 push-ups a day and can't manage a single one, start by leaning against a wall put your feet two foot away from it and push yourself away from it and repeat that until it's so easy you can do it forever.

then move onto objects with more incline, like a ( solid ) desk and finally the floor.
you can do this with almost any exercise, it's arguably easiest to do this with cycling as you control your cadence, and it's non impact by design, however a quality bicycle is expensive. lastly, never run on a hard surface it's incredibly bad for your joints so find a field, a beach or somewhere soft to run. when you don't get early onset arthritis, you'll thank me.

this is my personal experience of training my body, i do not guarantee it's scientific validity, i hope that's of some help to someone, even if it isn't you.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
As of now 172 and I guess around 75kg. Only thing I need is muscle, muscle and more muscle. Seeing as the distance to nearest gym is counted in hundreds of meters across the park and I get a discount on basis of being a student, I should start working out.

somethingorother003

Jan 6, 2014
6' 160 here, all my fat is in my gut so if I lose weight my face will look deprived and if I gain I'll have a huge gut.

Still I did get down from 220 a while back so it's not all bad.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
I was happy with my weight until recently. I'm 5'7" and was at 195 lbs until the holidays. Now I'm up to about 210, and I've been working on losing it. I have a rowing machine that I use 3x a week, and I do some weightlifting. I have some muscle, but rather than a 6-pack I have a keg. When I lose the holiday poundage, I'll be happy with it.

BobblyDrink

Jan 20, 2014
Pieturli said:
Again, thank you. Going to refer back to this and what you've said before when I need my memory to be re-jigged. I'll be sure to pick up SS:BBT as soon as possible, no worries about that! To also remember to stick to one program as well.

Haha, na you don't sound like a jerk I am still pretty thin. Well, use to be 127ish pounds a few years ago due to some stuff. Now I'm trying to get to a good level weight wise and so on... Then to just keep going to get those big muscles! Haha.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm getting towards being happy with it. I'm currently around 200lbs, so I've still got a bit left to lose to be at the ideal weight for my height, but considering I was at 285lbs, it's a definite improvement.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Not to brag, but I'm totally about to. Over the last year (also a new years resolution) I managed to claw my way from 115 kg to 88 kg. The plan is to get down to about 84 kg, then ask my doctor about healthy weights and maintanence exercise. 40 mins once a day was a great idea to lose weight, but its eating up too much of my personal time, so I need to know how often for how long I should be doing to just keep level.

I put down "No, I'm too big" because I do have that last ways to go though.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I voted perfection! While I don't think I'm perfect I am exactly where I need to be. I'm 6 feet tall at 140 pounds. I run 2-4 miles a day depending on how busy or tired I am and I lift weights though I am more focused on running.

I used to be overweight and felt totally unattractive, but after about 2 years I got to where I wanted to be, and another year of staying that way.

I do eat a lot, but I keep it in check with exercise, plus my metabolism is so much better than it used to be, so that rocks! c:

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Tnekrtena said:
omega 616 said:
Thank you for the info!
I'm 6"5 and 176 pounds, broader than most people. Would high weight, low rep help increase my arm size? Any particular exercises I can do for that? I'm like a trunk chest with tooth pick arms. It's quite silly looking and would love to get the Arny look! (...eventually)
I suck with visualizing weight but here goes...

To make your arms bigger is easy (well, easier said than done).

The classic is the curl but don't fuck around with the technique, like I see a lot of people do. You'll want a 6 ft bar enough weight so you can do 8 kind of struggling and the last 2 are a challenge, when I was doing some weight lifting I would go for around 20-30kg (which isn't a lot for seasoned people but at the start, it is) that was just me though.

The correct technique is straight back, straight arms and steadily lift (not too fast) and then the same back down, before you're next rep, stop it half a second.

The half a second is so you're not swinging it, if you start swinging it, leaning back or otherwise really struggling, take the weight down 'cos you're just cheating yourself/wasting time and potentially hurting yourself. Swinging means momentum is doing some of the work, not your arms. Leaning back means your back is getting a work out, which obviously wont effect your arms.

The other thing to try is to get an over hand grip (again on a 6ft bar), so your palms are toward you. Then raise the bar up to your chest.

Another, probably easier way to work your triceps are dips. Just sit on the edge of a hard surface (like take the seat off a chair/sofa) put your legs straight out, hands next to your butt, then sit on the floor, then sit on the chair/sofa, back onto the floor etc.

That is more for a Bruce lee look but it's a good way to start, build a bit of a foundation and then start stacking the weight.

[HEADING=1]Never forget leg day![/HEADING]

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
The Lugz said:
tippy2k2 said:
As many others in the world, I decided for New Years that I would revamp my efforts to become less of a fatty (I've always done little things before that but now I actually have a plan and a calorie counter thingy and whatnot)
if you'd like some tips, i have them but you've probably heard it all before.
I have (my step-brother is a gym coach) but it's never a bad thing to get a reminder/let other people see it :)

In fact, you might be useful for this since he hasn't been. He never got into pop/soda and I'm trying to find something that is A. Not stupidly expensive and B. Caffeine (or has that kind of effect). I'm slowly dwindling my pop intake (2 a day now) but having a sub would be awfully nice for those tough days. Any recommendations?

BobblyDrink

Jan 20, 2014
omega 616 said:
Thank you and duly noted! I'll make sure to remember all of this. Also that image is now burned into my mind, mostly due to how hilarious it looks. I'll make sure not to skip leg day, in fear of looking like a huge meat ball standing on two twigs.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I'm 130 lbs at 9-10% bodyfat.

I'm happy with both my weight and physique.