Poll: Are you happy with your weight?

BobblyDrink

Jan 20, 2014
omega 616 said:
Thank you for the info!
I'm 6"5 and 176 pounds, broader than most people. Would high weight, low rep help increase my arm size? Any particular exercises I can do for that? I'm like a trunk chest with tooth pick arms. It's quite silly looking and would love to get the Arny look! (...eventually)

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I'm okay with my 5'9" ~180lb size, and I've been around that for a good 10 years now... I've never been terribly fond of my body's fat storage tendencies, though. Being of Scandanavian/German/English descent (in that order), unless I have a downright unhealthy low body fat percentage (which I had living in a desert once upon a time... I had 8-pack abs, and it made me sickly. I functioned thanks to a cocktail of drugs), I have a pot belly and man boobs. Every other part of me can be "cut", "ripped", "jacked", or what have you... but to expose my abs is to invite death by the common cold.

Pieturli

Mar 15, 2012
Currently sitting at 200lb/90kg. I'd like to get back to 240lb/110kg, but holy shit eating to drive muscular weight gain is hard work. It's fucking harder than the training.

Pieturli

Mar 15, 2012
Tnekrtena said:
omega 616 said:
Thank you for the info!
I'm 6"5 and 176 pounds, broader than most people. Would high weight, low rep help increase my arm size? Any particular exercises I can do for that? I'm like a trunk chest with tooth pick arms. It's quite silly looking and would love to get the Arny look! (...eventually)

Compound exercises for sets of 5. Fives are the best base for size and strength, and you need both since they are dependent on each other (to a degree).

Look up Mark Rippetoe. That guy knows his shit.

(sorry to hijack, just wanted to weigh in:D)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I both like and don't like where my weight is.

I'm fat, but I was fatter a few months ago, so I like where my weight is at the moment, but I still need to burn a few extra pounds to be where I want to be.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I'm 180cm/5'11" and about 67Kg/148lbs.

Weight wise I'm not complaining, but I would like to make that less body fat and more muscle.

BobblyDrink

Jan 20, 2014
Pieturli said:
How many reps do you do per set with compound exercises? Or is there no base for that? No need to be sorry for the "hijack", I'm ecstatic to be finally and maybe understanding all, if not some, of this sorta thing. Completely clueless honestly, haha!

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I'm more or less fine with my weight. I'm 6'8" and ~300 lbs. I'm definitely fat and could stand to lose 40 pounds or so, but I don't particularly care all that much.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I'm fine with my weight although I'm far from perfect given that I'm 6ft tall, 275 pounds and probably classified as morbidly obese. I don't have self image issues and am comfortable with my appearance. I also fully realize and accept that future heart/health issues are inevitable.

My family doesn't view me in the same way mind you as they constantly pressure me because of my weight. It's annoying to hear about it every time I visit them often several times over but I understand they speak out of love. I'm glad I'm not particularly self-conscious about it because their pressure would probably sink me into a depression, lol.

Pieturli

Mar 15, 2012
Tnekrtena said:
Pieturli said:
How many reps do you do per set with compound exercises? Or is there no base for that? No need to be sorry for the "hijack", I'm ecstatic to be finally and maybe understanding all, if not some, of this sorta thing. Completely clueless honestly, haha!

Sets of five. Starting Strength is probably the most legendary novice barbell training program out there, and it's popular because it works incredibly well. It is pretty taxing in terms of recovery, seeing as you are squatting 3x5 three times a week and adding weight every session, but then again it also usually comes with the GOMAD recommendation (Gallon Of Milk A Day). The only lifts you need really are squat, bench press, deadlift, press (erroneously called the overhead press) and power clean. Maybe pull ups/chin ups. Isolation exercises are only necessary for bodybuilders who need them to make sure everything is PERFECTLY symmetrical.

But yeah, get your hands on Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training. It's probably the best technique and mechanics description you can find, and it outlines the novice progression. The idea is that you milk your novice gains for as long as you can, and then once that stops working, you change up to something intermediate. Practical Programming for Strength Training is an excellent book about more advanced training methodologies, and Jim Wendlers 531 is also pretty damn ace. I got some good gains out of it myself.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
I weigh 120kg and I'm about 1.85m, I want to be stronger, I mean, I'm quite strong as it is, I play a lot of violent, strength based sports, but I have such a large beer belly it slows me down, but then again, I do really love beer. What I'm saying is, I'm working out more so I can be stronger and faster.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I'm happy, however nowhere near satisfied.
I used to be skinny/musculy before, but for the past five years I've done nothing but sitting on my ass(hardly exaggerating). I gained a lot of weight due to it. Not insane amounts, thanks to what I assume is amazing genes, but enough to make me want to do something about it.
About six months ago I slightly begun working out, though I couldn't get motivated to keep it going. Three months ago I took it a few steps higher, make a work out schedule and begun eating healthier. Just this morning I went below 100 kg(99.4!). Around those three months ago I was at 108 kg. Considering that I've also gained a lot of muscle I've lost quite a bit of fat.

Worth adding that I'm almost two meters tall and am built like a Viking, so while 100 kg might sound like a lot to some it's quite average for my build. Christmas kind of broke my schedule however. Trying to pick it up again.

As for tips that has worked for me:
Eat proteins within 20 minutes after working out. I tend to go for a can of tuna, or a few eggs, with a glass of milk. Your muscles need it and it has made a huge difference in my muscle building.
Make a work out schedule you're able to follow and a diary where you can write commitments for the next week, what you've achieved the past week and measurements if you like.
Do research about exercise. I learn new things all the time, like how you can do push ups differently to train different muscles or that planking is amazing for working the abs.
Don't push yourself too much. The change doesn't happen over night and if you feel ANY pain during a session stop what you're doing immedietly. I had some pain in my chest muscles once and didn't care about it. Ended up having that pain for weeks.
Increase the weights when you can handle an average session with the old ones without much trouble, but don't stay on the same weights for too long. If you do your muscles won't have reason to grow, so they won't bother, and if you push it too much you'll damage the muscles instead.
Dumbells is extremely vesitile(sp?) and can train all of your muscles.

I'm still somewhat of a beginner though. If something I've said is wrong, feel free to comment on it.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
Voted "Other". I'm under 70kg today, as of a few years ago I was one of the chubby kids in high school at 89kg. So now I'm quite slim with broad shoulders owing to all the swimming training I did as a kid before I basically stopped exercising. My body looks fine. However...

I'm still not happy though. Not because I'm obsessed with being skinnier though I'd prefer to keep my weight down now, but rather I know the main thing keeping my weight down are my bad habits: Cigarettes and weed. That's the part of my daily routine the last couple of years I refrain from telling most people who ask about my gradual weight loss.

I'm not getting drunk every weekend anymore like high school and university so I am getting much better sleep and barely drink at all anymore, I stay at home constantly but still find ways to get out by playing tennis on weekends (a sport I've only taken to recently) and walking my dogs daily. I'm sure I'm even pigging out less than I used to. All of these are surely helping me, but I honestly feel the weed has to be the main factor since I began dropping kilograms before I adopted new hobbies and my actual diet hasn't gotten any better, just the amount I eat.

TL;DR, I've dropped lots of weight and look better than ever, but not happy that I basically smoked lots of weed to do it.

Pieturli

Mar 15, 2012
Tnekrtena said:
Pieturli said:
Man, thank you so much for all that! Going to get Starting Strength: BBT as soon as I can. Again, thanks!

Not a problem:) I love this shit so much that any chance to talk to someone about it is welcome.

If you have any more questions, ask away. I can probably answer some, and if I can't I can at least point you in the direction of the answer.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Pretty happy actually. I weigh a little more than I used to, but I'm in much better shape since I started doing a proper exercise regime. I used to weigh about 10 stone, I've put on about a stone since then but I actually look less flabby than I used to and have some kind of muscle definition now.

So yeah, all good. I've found that once you get into the habit of doing the work then it's not that bad, but it was hell when I started and when I skipped some over Christmas it was awful starting again.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm a bit flabby in the middle now a days. Nothing too noticeable to be honest, but I used to be better.
I gotta get back to the gym!

BobblyDrink

Jan 20, 2014
Pieturli said:
Sounds good to me!

Haha, I wouldn't even know where to start with questions, just whatever you think would help a complete novice to know and get their bearings would be massively appreciated! Sorry if that's asking a lot, just never had a chance to talk to someone about this stuff before, least without them asking to be paid as a personal trainer before they say anything more.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I wouldn't mind gaining about 10-20 lbs. I used to weigh about 150 when I worked at a local McDonalds, and my weigh dropped to about 110 within a year afterwards, and I've been trying to get some of it back ever since, with very little luck.