Poll: Do you believe in ghosts?

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Well, I don't think ANYONE believes in ghosts until they encounter them first-hand, so it's not my right to say. Until I either find hard proof that there is no possibility for interaction from beyond the grave, or if I find proof that there are spirits roaming the mortal world, my belief in ghosts will be "undecided".

Although, no matter if ghosts exist or not, there is a cesspit of firey hatred in my mind for Ghost Hunting TV shows, and anyone starring in a Ghost Hunting TV show. Specifically, Zak Bagans.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah... Not sure if I'd like to see one... but I do think they're there.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
MaxiP62 said:
I want to believe in ghosts, sure. The thought of some supernatural presence excites me to be honest, it's something out of the ordinary and something that you just wouldn't expect to happen.

But yes, I do believe in them. Not the Scooby Doo style ghosts, but something that could communicate after death. Not sure what though.

Also; this might get mixed results but, are Ouiji boards serious or what?
They're a Hasbro toy.

OT: On my last visit to the doctor he categorically declared me "somewhat sane" (and ravenously handsome, but that's beside the point), so no.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow I'm quite suprise how many people are against the idea of ghost. I do believe it unless someone prove it's all fakes and with solid evidences.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I've always felt that the idea of a free-roaming field of energy that maintains form and stability, while also having intelligence and the incredible ability to be both corporeal AND incorporeal at the same time, to be rather.....ludicrous at best.

So, um...I guess you could say that no, I do not "believe" in ghosts. The very notion is comical to me.

Also, when someone says, "I'm not really sure, there are weird things we can't explain. So maybe ghosts are real.", they are really no different than this guy -

DoPo said:
But think about it - there is nothing to disprove ghosts. What if hallucinations are actually caused by ghosts and all that?
Ever hear the phrase "burden of proof"? Basically, it's up to the ones claiming something is true to prove that it's true. Not the other way around.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Scarim Coral said:
Wow I'm quite suprise how many people are against the idea of ghost. I do believe it unless someone prove it's all fakes and with solid evidences.
See above.

Vilty said:
i believe swamp gas if that counts for anything.
You too? And here I thought I was alone! I've always been told I was crazy for believing in swamp gas.

Now, if only I can prove my belief in anthropomorphism. Then maybe people won't look at me like I'm some nutcase. <.<

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Vigormortis said:
DoPo said:
But think about it - there is nothing to disprove ghosts. What if hallucinations are actually caused by ghosts and all that?
Ever hear the phrase "burden of proof"? Basically, it's up to the ones claiming something is true to prove that it's true. Not the other way around.
Come back when you find that someone, then we can interrogate him together.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
DoPo said:
Vigormortis said:
DoPo said:
"Find that someone"? Pretty sure that "someone" would be anyone claiming ghosts are real. So...take your pick I guess? There are plenty of them around. Hell, last I heard, anywhere between 25 and 30 percent of Americans believe in ghosts. So just grab the next 4 people you see. Chances are at least one of them is a believer.

Also, if they say they saw one, that is not proof. If history and science have taught us anything it's that eye-witness accounts and anecdotal evidence are the worst, most unreliable kinds of evidence you can get.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
The number of dead people far outnumber the alive people and that number will only grow... if ghosts existed they would be everywere, all the bloody time.

So no, obviously I dont believe in ghosts or fairies or dragons or big foot or etc.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Vigormortis said:
DoPo said:
Vigormortis said:
DoPo said:
"Find that someone"? Pretty sure that "someone" would be anyone claiming ghosts are real. So...take your pick I guess? There are plenty of them around. Hell, last I heard, anywhere between 25 and 30 percent of Americans believe in ghosts. So just grab the next 4 people you see. Chances are at least one of them is a believer.

Also, if they say they saw one, that is not proof. If history and science have taught us anything it's that eye-witness accounts and anecdotal evidence are the worst, most unreliable kinds of evidence you can get.
Well, I dunno, for some reason you chose me to dump some irrelevant info. I thought you wanted the initiative there. Why should I take the lead?

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Aprilgold said:
Bang Kaboom Ferrell said:
xshadowscreamx said:
i want to believe, i dont want nothingness in death..its unfair and cruel
Reality is Unfair and cruel To me death is like a long sleep that you will never awakan from
Hell if you are super luck you may get a dream that, to you will span thousands upon thousands of years but was just a minute.

------------------------

I don't want death to be forever slumber, but I would be lying to say that ghosts are real.
But think about it, if there truly is nothing after death it isn't like you would be able to tell or even care. You'd be dead.

Anyway, I believe there's some weird shit in this world that we cannot understand, at least for the time being.

Ghosts? I don't know. I believe that human beings must give off some form of energy, at least while they're alive, but for that energy to somehow manifest and gain its own will after death?
That borders on magic.

FourEyedTroll

Sep 24, 2009
For me it's not a matter of belief, the idea of non-corporeal spirit entities violates the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. And as all evidence to date shows that nothing violates the Laws of Thermodynamics, this is scientific proof to me that the is no afterlife, no spirit world and no aether.

With that in mind, forget the idea of rewards when you die for good stuff you did in life, just be good for the sake of making the only world you're ever going to exist in a bit nicer for you and everyone else...

LordFish

May 29, 2012
I believe in aliens, but not ghosts... Even though there is no evidence for either.. although the odds of there not being aliens makes me believe... We would need a whole new set of laws of physics for ghosts to exist, not impossible, but unlikely.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Well, not ghosts, specifically, but something causing the phenomenom behind them, sort of. Suppose that's still enough to make me an idiot, but hey.

Basically, I don't believe in the archetypical "Aaaveeenge meee!" type of ghost, or that those ghost-freeing psycics you see on the telly "Helping people to the other side" sometimes actually do anything of the sort. I do believe there is a phenomenom behind it, however, and we human beings simply apply too many of our own interpretations and conclusions on what we see.

Now, this is my theory. I can't prove it. If I could, we wouldn't be sitting here, for a start. But I do think that we, as creatures with rather developed cognitive and psycological abilities, do affect an enviroment we spend alot of time in. A person who are really attached to a flat or house, for instance, might rub off onto the enviroment. Perhaps the effect is different if the opposite is true, if the person suffers in the enviroment. And these tiny distortions is what others pick up, much later. Then, they go assuming it's A: some dead unrelative who's come back to say they're sorry for being such jerks or B: that they've shamed their species by entertaining superstitious thought.

Now, I can't prove it. I'm not trying to sell this to you, and I'm not all convinced myself. It's just a slight theory. And we're currently not in a position where we can be truly sure one way or the other in these matters, either way. We might be one day, but it's not the time to make facts of assumptions either way about it.

In short; no, not really. Something ghost-y might exist, but it's not like in the books.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
There's a part of me that wants to believe it's all hooey and there's a part of me that feels there are too many credible people with too many good stories. Some time I'd like to go to a legitimate "haunted house" (but definitely not my own) and try to let something come at me, a la "Get her!" in Ghostbusters.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Here's one thing about "ghosts" that confuses me. If you're a "spirit," you theoretically have no mass and can move through solid objects. So shouldn't they be flying through and off the planet? What's physically allowing them to stay on this moving rock through space at hundreds of thousands of miles an hour?

Mar 26, 2008
arc1991 said:
I do believe in them, but i don't believe everything spooky i see is paranormal. Usually there are logical explanations...however sometimes there is something i see and im like "wtf...how?!?!"

For example this...

Some people say the fence wasn't attached properly at the bottom, so when someone hits the fence, the fence would swing up allowing the car to go under it, and when he goes through, the fence goes back down. I don't believe that because the fence isn't shaking afterwards, and there is no guarantee the fence, after coming back down, will land in the same position as it was before, like it's not slanted or anything. there are other explanations, but non of them really make sense.

Like apparently there is a hole to the left, which there isn't, it's just the light from the car headlights don't light that area up, if there was a hole the cop car would go through it.

Even if you don't believe in paranormal stuff, i can guarantee something unexplainable has happened in everyone's lives.
Fact or Faked proved this can be done so there's nothing paranormal about that.

That said, I've seen my fair share of shadow people so yes, yes I do believe in ghosts. I don't know what they are but I know what I've experienced.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Honestly no I don't believe in ghost, but I am open to the idea if there is concrete evidence or I see one with a whole bunch of people seeing it at the same time... If I see a ghost by myself or no one else sees it, then I will conclude I need medication asap.