Poll: Do you know/are you learning a second language?

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Yes. I'm learning Japanese as a peripheral course module. Also want to learn German.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Zarkov said:
Creator002 said:
I've been learning German for about 3 years, nearly 4 now. I understand pretty much everything grammar and sentence structure wise, but my vocabulary is still quite tiny, but I love the language and learning and also practicing with German speaking people both face to face and online.
I plan to then learn Dutch.

Zarkov said:
Oh, und, ich hab Deutsch seit zwei Jahren jetzt gelernt, und ich liebe Deutsch. Tut mir leid, wenn mein Deutsch nicht perfekt ist. (Use Google translate :D)
From what I understand, that was perfect except for the overuse of commas and the wrong case on "Jahr", but you did use Google, so no grudges shall be held. :)
Nein, ich hab das ohne Google geschrieben. Ist seit nicht dativ? Lol, aber danke!
(and I believe clauses must be separated by a comma, although I could be wrong lol)
Oh, Ich dachte, dass du mit dem Übersetzer geschrieben hast. Tut mir leid. Von meinem Verstanden "seit" braucht den Akkusitiv. "Ich habe schon seit 3 Jahre gelernt." Ich weiß nicht darum. Deutsche Sprache, schwere Sprache. :)
Wenn du Deutsch seit 3 Jahre gelernt hast, dein Deutsch ist schon sehr gut.

About commas used before clauses, no idea. I don't think you need them before und and aber, but I use them before wenn and dass and sometimes aber and doch.

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
I speak Russian (it's my first language), Lithuanian (I grew up there), English (because it was taught in school) and now I'm in UK learning Japanese in uni :D

Asbobitus

Dec 1, 2011
i speak arabic, french, english and danish fluently. i studied norwegian bokmål which is basically danish with a funny accent and can pretty much speak spanish, though not as good as the other ones. but considering where i live right now, learning a language from a nearby country scares the shit out of me: swedish or german ( heard german was really tough). But i'm going to try and learn some russian as soon as i get the money to pay for the classes >.<

scyther250

Jun 7, 2010
Lieju said:
Well, English is my second language, Finnish being the first.

Those are the only languages I can say I speak fluently.
I also know Swedish (a language I had to study at school) and Japanese (a language I have studied for fun).
I'm almost the same. Finnish was my first language, followed by English, then French was mandatory through public and high school, and I've been studying Japanese through university.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
seraphy said:
Most of Europe knows english as a second language.

Because it is useful to whine about stuff in websites like these!

I also speak swedish and germany a bit.
I find your avatar most quaint after reading that... and chuckling...

OT: Where's the option for plain old 'yes'...

I'm... whatever, I speak English, Yue, Japanese and conversational French and German. And I can read Italian passably, though don't expect me to speak it.
Where would the fun be in that? Besides, the point of the poll was to identify why someone did or didn't take a language. And however it's not specific, it got the point around.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I would say to learn a language that will be beneficial to where you live and for future employment (in my case, Spanish) and you should learn a language of some culture that you find interesting (again, in my case, Japanese). Although some languages are arguably harder to learn, being able to properly communicate with others of that nationality or when you travel yourself to that nation, will be a great accomplishment.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
I grew up in California, and the state mandates that everyone takes two years minimum of a foreign language in high school (which is the minimum language requirement to get into the University of California)...so I least when I grew up, everyone took at least two years of something. We also took a foreign language in Middle School.

Yo tuve español en mi escuela, pero no puedo hablar ahora. Yo he todo olvidado...necesito practicarlo.

On the other hand, after high school I joined the Army and was stationed in Germany. After I got out of the Army I stayed in Germany for a couple of years.

Das bedeutet daß ich fleißig bin...aber, obwohl ich deutsch sprechen und verstehen kann, ich bin nicht so gut beim schreiben. Geschriebene deutsch ist sehr anders als gesprochene deutsch...besonders weil ich bairisch spreche! Jetzt wohne ich weiter in USA und habe wenige Chance meine deutsch zu üben...aber ich bin Musikwissenschaftler und ich schreibe ganz oft über deutsche music (Marlene Dietrich, Tic Tac Toe, Extrabreit, etc) und so hoffentlich verliere meine deutsch-sprachige Fähigkeit nicht!

Ich vermisse Augsburg!

yman15

Jul 11, 2011
Zarkov said:
Hello mono-, bi-, and multilingual escapees, what (second) language are you learning and why do you learn it? and if you aren't learning one, why not?

It's a question of mine, because here at my high school (in the US) there a maybe 3 people in the entire school that actually like learning a second language. Learning a second language in this school, and in general America, doesn't seem very popular and I'm not sure why. Learning a second language doesn't seem to be a very popular decision in the states (and at my school).

So what's your opinion about foreign language, Escapist community?

Oh, und, ich hab Deutsch seit zwei Jahren jetzt gelernt, und ich liebe Deutsch. Tut mir leid, wenn mein Deutsch nicht perfekt ist. (Use Google translate :D)
Really Because in my high school also in the U.S.A I've been told that most colleges require at least 2 years of a foreign language. So everyone's taking a foreign language class
Anyways I'm in my 2nd year of French right now and hope to learn Spanish and Japanese in my lifetime

Cereals

Aug 2, 2010
I'm learning Arabic for a trip to Jerusalem this year with some friends (We'll be spending alot of time in Palestine though).

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Zarkov said:
Retal19 said:
I'm learning German. I have to take at least one language in School, and I could only choose between French and German. I'm planning on going into Engineering, so I thought German would be the best choice. Aber, ich bin nicht so gut, und die uhr ich spende in die klassenzimmer ist todlangweilig. Es ist ein sehr schone sprache, aber ich hasse die stunde. Meine lieblingsfache ist Geschichte, und es habe kleine Deutsche.
My Vocabulary and Grammar is horrid, I know. ._.
Du schreibst gut! Ja, ein schlechter lehrer kann furchtbar sein, wenn man eine Sprache lernen will. Leider lehrt meine Lehrerin nicht so viel, also muss ich zu hause lernen. auch hab ich meinen Onkel, der Deutsch spricht, und er hilft viel. Und mein Deutsch ist nicht perfekt auch.
I'm impressed I actually understood that, maybe my German's not quite as rusty as I thought.

Crimsanon

Feb 11, 2009
BlackStar42 said:
Ich kann ein kleine bisschen Deutsch sprechen, aber ich bin ein bisschen scheisse. Aber, meine Uni hatte ein Deutscherin nach studieren, so es könnte nutzlich :)

(That was probably wrong, wasn't it?)
Yay, I understood that!

As a British-Canadian raised in the States, my environment wasn't great for fostering multi-lingualism. I've taken Spanish (2 years), French (5 years) and German (1 semester) at various points in my education, though.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I'm doing an evening course in french because I do engineering and my department pays for it. Plus it's a wonderful language to curse in...

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I speak english and portuguese fluently and i can maintain basic conversations in spanish and in italian.I would like to learn more languages(german is one of them).

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
Here in Canada (Or at least British Columbia, Canada) you need a Second Language to get into most Universities, So I learned The Local First Nations Language - Coast Salish. It was kind of awkward going to that class because I was the only white kid and the Teacher kept on talking about "Her People" and the evils of "The White Man". She gave me plenty of dirty looks....It was odd and incredibly awkward for me. Anyways I was in that Class for Grade 9, 10, 11, and I also completed Grade 11 Advanced (There is no Grade 12 level class). I also know a bit of French thanks to being in A English/French split Elementary School as a Kid and The one year of French I had in High School, plus the 4 years I had of it in Elementary School. I basically know a enough French To ask for directions and Say Please and Thank You - The very basics of what you'd need if you were say planning to visit France.

So My main language is English and I also know how to Speak, Write & Read Coast Salish and a little bit of French.

9999squirrels

Mar 1, 2011
I'm learning Spanish. It would be useful but my school has a horrible language program and most people learn just enough to pass the tests. Virtually no one can speak fluently even if they have taken 5 years of it.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
Creator002 said:
Zarkov said:
Creator002 said:
I've been learning German for about 3 years, nearly 4 now. I understand pretty much everything grammar and sentence structure wise, but my vocabulary is still quite tiny, but I love the language and learning and also practicing with German speaking people both face to face and online.
I plan to then learn Dutch.

Zarkov said:
From what I understand, that was perfect except for the overuse of commas and the wrong case on "Jahr", but you did use Google, so no grudges shall be held. :)
Nein, ich hab das ohne Google geschrieben. Ist seit nicht dativ? Lol, aber danke!
(and I believe clauses must be separated by a comma, although I could be wrong lol)
Oh, Ich dachte, dass du mit dem Übersetzer geschrieben hast. Tut mir leid. Von meinem Verstanden "seit" braucht den Akkusitiv. "Ich habe schon seit 3 Jahre gelernt." Ich weiß nicht darum. Deutsche Sprache, schwere Sprache. :)
Wenn du Deutsch seit 3 Jahre gelernt hast, dein Deutsch ist schon sehr gut.

About commas used before clauses, no idea. I don't think you need them before und and aber, but I use them before wenn and dass and sometimes aber and doch.
Vielen dank! (Ich übe mein Deutsch viel lol) Vielleicht braucht seit Akkusativ, aber ich bin noch nicht sicher. Und Deutsch ist besonders schwer, wenn man in den USA wohnt, weil niemand auf dem ganzen Kontinent Deutsch spricht. nun außer mein Onkel und ich haha. In Europa ist viele sprache an einem ort. Nicht in Amerika lol

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
Zarkov said:
Hello mono-, bi-, and multilingual escapees, what (second) language are you learning and why do you learn it? and if you aren't learning one, why not?

It's a question of mine, because here at my high school (in the US) there a maybe 3 people in the entire school that actually like learning a second language. Learning a second language in this school, and in general America, doesn't seem very popular and I'm not sure why. Learning a second language doesn't seem to be a very popular decision in the states (and at my school).

So what's your opinion about foreign language, Escapist community?

:D Ich bin in meiner zweite jahre von Deutsch auch!
Ich liebe Deutsch auch! In meine klasse ich habe mein guten freund Paterick. Siene und meine Deutsch sind sehr gut fuer Deutsche zwie.
I cant spell well though :(
But basically I am one of the best in my class, so if that was horrible, than that says something about the rest of my class.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
The only one I know to speak quite fluently apart from my own language(romanian) is english.

I know a bit of French(I understand it,I cannot write it) and some dutch(I lived 1year in Belgium).

That's about it.