Poll: Do you like Israel?

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
maninahat said:
Without wanting to start a debate about it, I don't like Israel's attempts to shift all blame from itself, and I don't like its little propaganda videos which serve to that effect. That isn't an attempt to vindicate the Arabs, who also have their share of the blame in the current situation. Historically, they both have good claims for Jerusalem, and they both have done nefarious things to get at it.

The fact that both sides are willing to pretend they haven't ever done anything wrong is a problem they really need to confront.
You would have better chances of convincing the Japanese to admit their war crimes in WW2 than making either side admit they had committed atrocities.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
you know how some people against israel say STOP THIS UNJUST OCCUPATION OF ARAB LAND when you look at Israel on the world map particularly the entire Middle East region as a whole, you'll notice that Israel is all but a speck on the map. you know compared the rest of the Middle East. Israel's fine, i think people in the middle east just need to get an air-conditioner so they can all cool off.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Well, as a country, I can't fault them for wanting to exist, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a fundamentally illegal and illegitimate nation. (Don't try to compare it to western colonialism, this happened in modern times and Palestine was a recognized nation, unlike the native Americans et al.)

On the other hand, the Palestinians have been completely unwilling to compromise, but they really shouldn't need to. Or at least it's clear to see why they believe they shouldn't need to.

ScroogeMcDuck

Mar 22, 2010
The real question is do I like like them? I'm not sure cause yesterday they pulled my hair but mommy says that's how they say they like me. I think that's a funny way to say you like someone, but they are kind of cute... Eww just kidding they probably have cooties, and that is gross. Yuck.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Go israel! they deserve their country because so far they run the best running country and only GOOD democracy in that region.

and screw what the UN says about it.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Macgyvercas said:
Korolev said:
I support Israel's right to exist. But here's the thing: I also support Palestine's right to exist. I think the two should exist side by side.
Yeah, that'll never happen.

Let's just assume for the moment that the Bible is meant to be taken literally (which, given how religion dictates pretty much everything over there, it probably is).

The Israelis say that God promised the land to them because He said that it would go to the decendents of Abraham's first born son (and they take that to mean first born legitimate son), whereas the Muslims say it was promised to his first born son whether legitimate or not (Abraham's first born son was Ishmael, born to Sarah's maidservent).

So as long as that problem is in the way, there will never be a lasting peace between the two.
Hey, people can surprise you! It's not all doom and gloom - sure, the CURRENT crop of leaders on both sides tend to be religious literates, but that can change. Why, 600 or so years ago, most of Europe was just as obsessed with literal interpretations and dogma - now, Europe is largely secular.

I agree with you that peace PROBABLY won't come to the region for the next 30 or so years. The current ruling generations of Israel and Palestine have made up their minds on the subject, and they ain't gonna change them. But after that generation dies off, who knows what will happen! Of the few Israelis I've talked to, most of them have been secular (then again, they were scientists and scientists tend to be secular). So the attitudes are changing.

I'm not going to deny that the problem is extremely difficult to solve. I'm also not going to be super optimistic and say that lasting peace is likely to occur within my lifetime. There's still far too many wounds and deep seated hatreds on both sides, for there to be a quick and easy peace.

But give it enough time and who knows! We have this view that cultures are largely static - but in fact, throughout the ages, cultures have always changed and the pace of change is quickening.

I will say that, for Palestine's sake, they better solve the situation as quickly as can be. If things are left as they are, there won't really even be a Palestine in the next 20 years. All those years of armed resistance, and it's achieved nothing. Palestine has lost land and Israel has gained it. The Palestinians NEED to realize that Israel is not the US and the Palestinians are not the Vietnamese - while the US could always just leave Vietnam, the Israeli's view Israel as their literal home. They're not going to leave, no matter what you do.

I'm not saying that the Palestinians should do nothing - they should clearly try to voice their rights. But the way things are right now, Israel is winning. Hands down they are winning and if the Palestinians continue with this course of action, Israel will completely overwhelm them. 60+ years of fighting, and Israel has only grown stronger, Palestine has only grown weaker. The definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing and expect different results. The Palestinians will NEVER be able to defeat the Israeli military without the use of nuclear weapons (and if they did use nuclear weapons, it would destroy the legitimacy of their cause instantly in the eyes of the world).

I don't know what Palestine should do in order to safeguard its chances of nationhood. But I do know that if HAMAS continues to carry on the same path as it has, they won't win. Palestine will disappear, and I don't want that to happen. I don't think anyone really does. HAMAS needs to find a new way. What that way is, I don't know. But they need to. Launching a few home made dinky little rockets has achieved NOTHING, and will continue to achieve nothing. As sympathetic as I am to the plight of the Palestinians, there's no point in continuing down a proven path of failure.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I like them, but I believe they should be more open to comprising with the Palestinians. I have a question for any Israelis here (Palestinians can answer too, though I doubt we have many here): what should be done about Jerusalem?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
B.U.C.K said:
I saw the question on Germany so I thought what the hell..
How do all of you gamers out there feel about my homeland?
..I get a feeling that this will controversial..
No matter what, I love you guys and please give your honest opinion..I am just curious
Cheers
Um, OP, you've spit your votes with three positive options. A little late to change it now, I realize. ^^;;

I both like and support Israel. ^^

You guys are doing great things in an impossible situation. Stay strong. **hugs**

FogBird

Apr 8, 2010
Would like it much better if it weren't for the bloody idiotic protests. I really don't agree with most of them.
But in general, yea, I love Israel. It is my home after all...

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
kasperbbs said:
I know nothing about it, except for what the news told me and they never say anything good about anything.
Heh. You said it, pal.

Yeah, I've never been, so I can't really comment. From what I know, though, they are a generally decent country with a bit of a spotty human rights record. So, while I can't say I approve of every action the nation takes, they've stayed surprisingly "good", considering how many groups want them all brutally slaughtered. I picked "I support Israel".

Edit:

Rodrigo Girao said:
The better question may be: which one do you dislike less, Israel or its enemies?
Basically what this guy said.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
TheIronRuler said:
cainx10a said:
When you are done dragging children to jail, murdering your neighbors, and acting like in a dick in the region, maybe I will consider something other than 'no'.
Damn, stop making these posts without explaining yourself.
Not only you but the others that think the same and are too lazy or don't even know how to discuss the manner, they just throw accusations.

The problem is, we can shove the proof in your face, and you will still discard it, so why bother.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Fappy said:
I like them, but I believe they should be more open to comprising with the Palestinians. I have a question for any Israelis here (Palestinians can answer too, though I doubt we have many here): what should be done about Jerusalem?
Carved into two pieces, east and west, Berlin cold war style.

Mad Stalin said:
No.
You cant just make up a country in a country that already exists that's just absurd
But there WASN'T A COUNTRY before Israel there.
It was always under occupation, whether it may be the British Mandate, Turks, Muslim calipahtes, Crusaders, Eastern Roman Empire... list goes on.
There was no country of Palestine. That's bullshit.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I'm indifferent. I'm sure it's nice, they just really need to control their crazy people.

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
why, the fuck, do people feel the need to come and post real world political questions in a video game site called THE ESCAPIST !!!!
did it occur to people that you've got plenty of Israeli gamers who come to this site hoping to get AWAY from this kind of bullshit.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
TheIronRuler said:
Fappy said:
Carved into two pieces, east and west, Berlin cold war style.

Mad Stalin said:
No.
You cant just make up a country in a country that already exists that's just absurd
But there WASN'T A COUNTRY before Israel there.
It was always under occupation, whether it may be the British Mandate, Turks, Muslim calipahtes, Crusaders, Eastern Roman Empire... list goes on.
There was no country of Palestine. That's bullshit.
As far as I understand the city is pretty-well suited to that plan considering how all of the old-Palestinian stuff is on the East side already (from what I understand). Would you want to other half governed by a sovereign state of Palestine, or Jordan?