Poll: Doctor Who Could Be Better

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I don't really give a crap. As long as they get someone who knows how to play The Doctor and someone who knows how to write then I'm happy!

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
If it doesn't matter what ethnicity he is then why change it? Moffatt has hinted that race and gender can change but it makes little real sense and he's the only director under whose purview it's happened. e's playing the social justice crowd for all its' worth and they keep falling for it. If you want to get glib you could point out Gallifrey's attenuated red spectrum light and say that there shouldn't be any non white timelords at all.

Just a tip for casting though, only about 3.5% of the UK population is black. Black people are pretty over represented on TV so we don't necessarily need another black part. Besides, you shouldn't cast on the basis of 'sorry for racism', it doesn't work like that. Technically you'd be better served casting a Pakistani Doctor but no one seems as bothered about that.

Besides, why the pressure to make the character change race or sex? Would it improve Torchwood to have changed Tosh out for a black guy? Or is it just white people that need diverifying?

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
Whilst I think the idea of a female Doctor is a bit much, I'd really like them to broaden their horizons a bit and cast a black actor in the role next. Idris Elba or Chiwetel whatshisface would be ideal but they're pretty big name stars these days so perhaps not.

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
Considering that over 90% of the British population is white and they're only going to choose British actors then I'd say we're about in line with the skin colour percentages. The chances of having an actor that suits the role and is an ethnic minority where the minorities are very minority are pretty slim. Why they haven't chosen a woman? I don't know, CAN timelords even change their gender? Has it happened before?

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Subscriptism said:
Why they haven't chosen a woman? I don't know, CAN timelords even change their gender? Has it happened before?
Moffatt's dropped 2 canonical references to it but no one else has before him, to be honest I suspect it's a way to keep people talking about a show that only manages to get 7-8 episodes out the door a year.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
What is more discriminating: the fact that all the Doctors are white, or the fact that you're mentioning this?

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
OP, I'd like to call you out on your Poll title. When I saw the phrase "Doctor Who Could Be Better", I thought I'd be able to get a glimpse at what Doctor Who fans in the Escapist community thought of the writing of the latest seasons of Doctor Who and how it might be improved. Instead, I found a knee-jerk equality poll because the Doctor is once again a white male.

Now I've got nothing against the concept of a non-white or female Doctor, the possibility was just as exciting for me as anyone else, but to flat out say that Doctor Who could be improved by simply changing his gender or skin colour isn't a call for equality. It could very well be that out of all the actors that auditioned, Peter Capaldi was simply the best, so to cast someone else just because they weren't a white male would be disingenuous of the producers, detrimental to the quality of the show and actually racist/sexist against white males.

If you want to improve Doctor Who, look at the writing, set design or direction. If you want to call for equality, ask the BBC why Peter Capaldi was chosen over the other candidates. If we did have a female or non-white Doctor, or even both, that would be fantastic but it's not something I think we should have hang ups about.

Sorry if I seem somewhat agitated but it happens too often on this website that people will title their poll and their topic differently such that one could imply two different topics from each.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Yeah why aren't there any black hobbits, because its their own universe and they can write it the way they want? Why don't you write an episode or two and send them to BBC where like a black chick is a time lord or something.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Zacharious-khan said:
Yeah why aren't there any black hobbits, because its their own universe and they can write it the way they want?
Exactly...only not in the way you mean.

Why do they want to only have white heroes?

FoxKitsune

Jun 23, 2012
I wanted to see River Song take over being the doctor so bad. Without going into specifics and entering spoiler territory, they had the perfect opportunity to do so, and have her regenerate into any number of great british actresses.I'm not of the same opinion the writers seem to be, that to keep the show fresh they need to routinely change actors up, but if they're going to do it at least make it a real change. A female doctor would breathe a lot of life back into the show.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
The problem here is simply that the UK populous is mainly white, so having the Doctor be white makes sense from a marketing standpoint.
I'm not racist, but history is, and having a black or asian doctor would completely expel the Doctor from anything historical.
I mean, even going back to the 1960's in the US, if the Doctor was black nobody would listen to him, and going any further back than the 19th century he could well get enslaved or something else very racially insensitive, which is water the BBC probably don't want to get into.
As for a female doctor, while I personally have nothing against it, it would require a great deal of role reversal and preparation, with the companion being male instead of female and such.

So in closing, it isn't racism or sexism for the Doctor always being cast as a white male, its because
A) So many historical settings and periods would be neglected because of historical sexism and racism,
B) The format of the show would be shaken up too drastically
C) Diversity for diversity's sake doesn't apply to The Doctor, hell we've only had 1 black companion so far, which is surprisingly accurate as a representative of the small black minority in the UK (~30 something companions, and around 3.5% black populous in UK = ~1 or 2 black companions)
D) Moffat is not very good at writing strong females unless they're some variation of River Song.
Nothing personal, its just that if the show was to have a female Doctor, he wouldn't be my pick for showrunner at the time.

rebelscum

Jun 8, 2009
I guess one of the problems with a black or female doctor is that the show regularly time-travels back to the past, and, well...

FEMALE DOCTOR: "I know what the problem is!"
MEN OF 1500s LONDON "Shut up woman
FEMALE DOCTOR "No, my sonic screwdriver ha..."
MEN OF 1500s LONDON "A witch! Burn her!"

And that kind of thing would be interesting if the episode were a one-off set, say, during the Suffragette movement, but the Doctor being a woman would dominate every single episode set in the past (roughly 1/4-1/3 of an average season) in a way that the Doctor being a man does not. As a man he can move freely through any time period without slowing down the narrative for a "Sexism is bad, yo" message.
(Also I know his companions are female and the whole sexism in the past thing has been dealt with with a snide one-liner in the past, making the main character driving the story forward a woman would mean the issue would get pushed much more to the fore)

And as for the Doctor being black, that'd be even worse! I don't want lynch threats in my Doctor Who.

EDIT - Goddamn ninjas

UltraPic

Dec 5, 2011
Knight Captain Kerr said:
albino boo said:
The 6th Dr is bad choice, he got the job because the then producer, Jonathan Nathan Turner met him at wedding. The 6th Dr is when things started to go down hill.
I don't think Colin Baker was bad. But at the same time I don't think he is many people's favourite. But his clothes are hilarious.
He was pretty good, the problem is that the bbc moved the show from early Saturday evenings to weekday nights and people expected more from such a show in that time slot.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Hmm, i don't really think so. I just don't think it would really fit. As far as i understand it, the doctor changes personality with each incarnation, but some base characeristics always stay the same. As that the doctor is always a good pacifist, for example. I just thought he liked being a white guy, so he always becomes a white guy. It just makes sense, since he likes human history so much, being anything but a white guy would prove very, very difficult in some time eras.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I don't really care who plays the Doctor or what the Doctor's character is like, as long as they're good. Black, white, woman, man, gay, straight, whatever. Besides, the companions add quite a bit of diversity. Remember Ace,[footnote]female, possibly bisexual, BEAT UP A DALEK WITH A GODDAMN BASEBALL BAT[/footnote] Jack[footnote]omnisexual, good person despite his vices, hooked up with Ianto[/footnote] and Mickey?[footnote]black, initially comic relief but eventually turned into a badass, had a gay alt-verse counterpart[/footnote]

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Qtastic said:
black, or a woman, or what-have-you.

Thoughts?
extreme snip, but it condenses the post nicely :)

after a good long read through regeneration rules here, it basically seems 'anything goes' and therefore probably wont since there is lore for it in the universe already, and the doctor doesnt really need to do it himself so i imagine you'll be stuck with your boring pale doctor for some time, http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Regeneration

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
FoxKitsune said:
I wanted to see River Song take over being the doctor so bad. Without going into specifics and entering spoiler territory, they had the perfect opportunity to do so, and have her regenerate into any number of great british actresses.I'm not of the same opinion the writers seem to be, that to keep the show fresh they need to routinely change actors up, but if they're going to do it at least make it a real change. A female doctor would breathe a lot of life back into the show.
It's never been the writers choice about the changing the actor. The whole regeneration thing came about because the original Dr was to ill to continue and they needed a new one. Since then Drs have only stayed in placed, on average 3-4 years before leaving. One got fired and 2 went because the show got cancelled, the rest of the time the changes were because the actor left. Matt Smith has gone from being in the first change of cast in the west end production of the history boys to a hollywood movie directed by Ryan Gosling after 3 years as the Dr.