Poll: Favorite Foreign Language

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
No French or Spanish or Italian? Very limited poll.

Anyway, I took Spanish when I was in the southern US and because it's really easy, but French is my favorite overall.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
German, because being pummelled with annoying french translations of English sentences, is really annoying. Natural Spring Water = Eau De Source Naturelle | You don't have to be a genius to see the word 'Natural' is last, De Source is probably Spring, which means Eau is water - that is completely backwards! In German however, Natürliches Quellwasser, exactly the same grammar (taken from google translate).

samjc3

Feb 8, 2011
Quenya. Because its the smoothest, most beautiful language ever. (thats Tolkein's elvish, for the uninitiated)

Apr 29, 2010
Snoody said:
To the Forum Posters: I apologize for not having Spanish. I put Arabic in because I just wanted to see how many people would choose it. If you prefer Spanish, just choose "Other" and comment Spanish. Also, I would HIGHLY recommend learning a new language to anyone who hasn't already done so.
Well instead of having 2 choices each for German and Russian, which is kinda pointless, you could have just one for German, one for Russian, and one for Spanish. You would will still have room for Arabic after all that.

OT: I am quite smitten with Italian.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
I like the artsy writing system of Arabic, the flexibility of Japanese, and the audio aesthetic of French.

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
Why the hell is "Both German and Russian" on the poll instead of French, possibly the most internationally recognised language in the Western World after English?

That's one biased poll, if you ask me.

(Oh yeah, I choose French. There's something so disturbingly wondrous about swearing for a whole minute and have it still sound beautiful.)

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I'm going with Japanese. It just sounds so awesome to me.

But just because it's my fave doesn't mean it's all I like.

Numbers 2 thru... 10 are quite good. Include German and French and Spanish and Russian to some extent.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
English, because it allows me to communicate with alot of people.

Close second is German, they are very similar languages but German is far simpler, most complicated words are just simple words stringed together, and unlike english it doesn't have 17 tenses.

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
Maybe it's because I've been playing the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game, but I've started to dig the Russian language and accent.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Blank Kold said:
Everyone who says Russian is wrong. Most people that speak it do so with a horribly thick Belorussian accent, the conjugating is bullshit, and I have to switch accents between speaking that and English. My grammar blows!
You know the title is "Favorite Foreign Language" right?
It's peoples personal preference, there is no wrong or right in that.

And since my native language is very close to Russian I can feel your pain.

Thomas Valdez

May 1, 2010
Latin, the language of Classic Rome! I heard a Latin Mass when I was Catholic and it really sounded like heaven on Earth. Also, it's a dead language so no one can say you're pronouncing it incorrectly!

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
ocelot0222222 said:
Russian. Love the way it sounds and its fun to write.
Plus the swear words are really cool:

Govniuk - Shithead
Sooka - *****
Yob Tvoyu Mat - Fuck your Mother

And so on and such

MrTiki

Dec 6, 2010
Japanese. I am learning it right now, and the basic sentence structure is quite easy to understand,with far fewer exceptions than English.