Poll: Flawlwss Victory: Can you think of a game that is perfect?

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I suppose shadow of the colossus or half life 2 or KotOR would come closest, but there's simply no such thing as a perfect game. Even with nostalgia clouding my memories, I can always find something that could have worked better.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Allthingsspectacular said:
Journey, definitely.

There is not a thing the game could do to make it better.
Ahhh, well now I don't have a reason to post. Journey really is the best game ever.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Delsana said:
Reyold said:
Perfection in a videogame is impossible, because man, who makes them, is imperfect.

But holy crap are some games close.

For me, it'd have to Batman: Arkham City, LittleBigPlanet 2, and Valkyria Chronicles (all on the PS3), Muramasa: The Demon Blade and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (both on the Wii), and Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (on the DS).
Valkyria Chronicles had SO MANY problems and I truly mean SO MANY PROBLEMS, that it seriously on its own, even outside of the lack luster story and mechanics, nearly made me sell my PS3.
Well, even if that's true, I still really enjoy it

Mar 7, 2012
EcoEclipse said:
Allthingsspectacular said:
Journey, definitely.

There is not a thing the game could do to make it better.
Ahhh, well now I don't have a reason to post. Journey really is the best game ever.
I'm not going to say it is my favorite game of all time. But it is without a doubt the most well executed.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
If by "perfect" you mean "without flaws" I guess Portal would qualify.

Chess?
I can't think of anything wrong with chess.

Perfect is an awkward thing to measure. To me it's a completely different scale then quality. I mean The Hurt Locker is the only "perfect" movie I've ever seen and I don't like it that much.

There are games I like a lot more than Portal, but Portal's the only one I can't think of a way to improve. that's why I call it perfect (and chess, but now I'm just being pretentious)

But you know, I do like turtles, so I'll just go with that.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Probably the only game I've played I can't come up with criticism for is VVVVVV. I don't know if that makes a game "perfect"... I mean, you can have a flawless piece of bread, but it'd still be just a piece of bread, and won't stack up to a triple-chocolate waffle-sludge fudge with one or two flaws in it. Competence in the execution of a concept is not enough to ride a game over the finish line. But, that said, VVVVVV is as close to perfect I've ever had in a game. Very closely followed by World of Goo.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Devil May Cry 3.

Between the level layout, the boss mechanics, the combos, the weapons, the style systems, the enemies and the difficulty curve, everything was just magnificent.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
No game is perfect, there are so many good games out there but what can be considered a good quality vs a bad quality is often times subjective to personal taste. Perfect example is Masters of Orion 2 and its micro management. For some people they love being able to custom design each ship, manage each planet, etc while others feel like that level of micro management is a burden on the player and distracts from the more macro strategy. I think the closest you can get is "what is the perfect game for you" as you can objectively define the qualities of a game (because the subjective parts of whats "good" are objective to your personal taste)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
OlasDAlmighty said:

Perfection.
Perfection through simplicity? Seems legit, but I'm gonna disagree on a much simpler point: You can't win.

I'm of the mind that perfection isn't something we really have on games. Not really. Because if we did, we'd all stop THERE and not need anything further. Some do anyway, but it's only when everyone does that it's perfect. So, there are, instead, really damn good games, and I know a fair few. Some are old school, some are today's picks. That's life.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
OlasDAlmighty said:

Perfection.
Yeah, probably this. I still own my original Gameboy copy, it still works perfectly, and I still play it. I can't say that for any other game.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Good lord this post seems to attract the highest concentration of known wrong available to man. Just what are you planning to do with all this concentrated ignorance?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Yup, Okami. It's my second favorite game, but it is completely flawless IMO.

nyarlathotepsama

Apr 11, 2012
elvor0 said:
nyarlathotepsama said:
Fallout 2: I loved Fallout but it felt a little smallish, with Fallout 2 I roamed all over did all sorts of things and generally loved the writing enough that I quote it to this day.

Fallout New Vegas: Likely going to get flak for this but I didn't like Fallout 3 much, I mean I played it and have recently started playing it again but New Vegas just felt more Fallout to me...if that make sense at all?
While I don't exactly agree with you on New Vegas being /perfect/, it defently was more Fallout than Fallout 3 was, mainly because it had more of the original team from FO1/2 working on it, plus the wild wasteland perk added in all the silly things along the lines of stuff that would pop in in FO1/2 (ala the monty python bridge keeper, the tardis, etc). Fallout 3 was far too serious, and while yeah, Fallout is a grim dark world, it should have silly things going on every now and then, to fit in with the retro science fiction theme they have going.
I guess I'm not the only person sharing that opinion, makes me glad. Among my friends basically liking New Vegas at all seems to be a point of argument, since most of them were introduced to Fallout via Fallout 3.

You know what might be a better question than "perfect game" might be Perfect Gaming Experience...

Mine could easily get me in trouble here and I hope it doesn't but anyhow. It was 1996 I was in 7th grade I believe and a group of friends all got together for the weekend. IT was supposed to be a D&D session but people forgot dice, books and characters sheets so it turned into a "let's rent a game a play it" sort of night. We ended up renting Resident Evil since I had just got a Playstation like the day before. It was glorious. Someone brought their pipe and a bag of, now please excuse me if this causes an issue, weed. We got stoned and together all played Resident Evil for the first time. I remember someone laughed so hard he wet his pants. We still quote that game to each other and every time we still smile. That was a perfect gaming experience, not a perfect game by a long shot but does it really matter...

thereverend7

Aug 13, 2010
Resident Evil 4 is pure gaming perfection to me.

The atmosphere, the guns, the upgrades, the merchant, the enemies, the bosses... everything was just so perfect. I remember standing in a gamestop, years and years ago now, playing a demo for a little game called RE4. I never had played a resident evil game, or very many mature games at all at this point in my life, as I was still quite young, and had strict parents. But something about that game just stuck out to me... felt special. unique. I quickly got my head chopped off by a chainsaw man and left that gamestop thinking of nothing but that game, and how horrified it made me feel, but in a good way. I had never witnessed or played something so violent, but it made me want more. and not in the bloodlust sort of way... in the "I wonder if it's even possible for you to win in that game?" sort of way. no other game had made me feel that way before. When I played that demo, i felt as if all hope was lost. that I was simply postponing the inevitable as I played it. It was, of course, completely beatable, as all games must be. But it struck a chord with me that i'll never forget. After I finally played and beat it, I thought back to that hopelessness I felt playing the demo... it was profound. To feel so small when other games had made me feel so big and powerful, only to find that there is always hope if your skilled and patient and courageous enough to fight... no other game had done that for me. sure, when I was link in legend of zelda, I felt courage, and strength, but I never felt like I wasn't in control. RE4 changed the way I looked at video games and what video games can do to people. I honestly can't ask for a more perfect game then that.

TL;DR: ZOMG RE4

corvanjer

Nov 28, 2011
Dynasty Warriors 3 anyone?

I mean we're talking top tier Hack'N'Slash here!
Also Ratchet and Clank 1 ^_^.

thereverend7

Aug 13, 2010
Terminate421 said:
Can you name one thing that should be altered?

Didn't think so.
Being as it was the first game to make me find out what "Backtracking" was, I totally, totally can.

Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic game, and I love it. But damn did I lost in that game, on an (almost) Castlevania-like scale.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Games are an artistic endeavor, they can be perfect to an individual but there can never be a perfect game because it would have to apply to everyone.

For a game to be perfect it would have to be ambrosia to the senses, free with no required means to play it, never ending without producing boredom and loved by everyone...impossible unless God decides to make a video game :)