Poll: Flawlwss Victory: Can you think of a game that is perfect?

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
There are some games that do what they can perfectly. Any change to them I feel would only be for the worse.

Shadow of the Colossus
Super Metroid
Castlevania: SotN
Super Mario 3
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 1
Mega Man X
Zelda: A Link to the past
Jumping Flash

Terminate421 said:
Can you name one thing that should be altered?

Didn't think so.
Not being an FPS would have helped. Don't get me wrong it was a fantastic game, just never struck me as Metroid. They could have changed a few enemies and the main character and I don't think anyone would have noticed and they could have marketed this as a new IP. I could tell they tried a little to use a metroid theme, and I appreciate that. But some games are as much their play style as they are their story.

CATS FTW

Mar 21, 2010
Yes I can think of two: I Made a Game With Zombies In It and Flower, "Hahaha but you, sean are wrong!" But I say nay, they are two game that set out to fill a certain niche and did so very well, perfectly you could say and managed to be fun at least to me. Of course there's the whole issue with opinion but honestly why would you dislike two games that seem to have no glitches and fantastic mechanics while still managing to be imaginative and original. Great soundtracks for both of them too, the ending to I Made a Game With Zombies In It made me tear up at the end.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Silent Hill 2 was perfect. This is not to say that it is without flaws (and I understand the previously made oxy-moron), it's just that all of the flaws fit in perfectly with the game's atmosphere.
For example, the combat is crappy. It's not so bad that you are practically defenseless, but you have the combat prowess of, well, a depressed widower with nothing to live for.
Another one; I'm not sure if it's a given for the translation from Japanese to English, or just a flaw in the engine, but ALL of the early Silent Hill games had these awkward pauses inbetween the swapping of dialogue. This was fairly offputting in the other games, but it actually fits in nicely with Silent Hill 2, because it's made very clear that everyone you encounter is horrible damaged or disconnected in some way, which reflects in the off-tempo way they deliver their lines.
Another one that most things couldn't get away with; loading screens before EACH ROOM. While this may sound annoying, they're usually only a few moments long, and provide just enough pause for you to beg that the first thing you hear isn't radio static.
All of these are added ON TOP of the already fantastic story, voice acting, aesthetic design, atmosphere, music, and characters. When the flaws actually compliment the material which they are in, then you've got perfection.
Then again, it's really a matter of my opinion.
However, I doubt that many would disagree if I were to say that Guy Cihi (the guy who did the voice for James Sunderland) is one of the greatest voice actors in a video game. Ever. I mean, he's up there with the guy who did JC Denton's voice. I fail to see how ANYONE else could possibly capture that character's voice as well as Mr. Cihi.

xPixelatedx said:
There are some games that do what they can perfectly. Any change to them I feel would only be for the worse.
[snip everything else]

Resident Evil 1
I've actually just been playing it for the first time, and honestly, the atrocious voice acting is probably my favorite part.
Oh, and how could I forget the classic?

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
Homeworld 1 is the closest game to perfect. The UI has some issues though, Cataclysm UI seemed much better, and it hasn't aged quite as well graphically as it maybe could have. It doesn't look bad. Aesthetic is great, love how they wanted it to look, but textures are slightly too pixel-y and models slightly too blocky. So great, but not perfect.

Portal 1 is maybe a contender too. I can't think of what's wrong with it, but something is. It's one of the very few amazing games there are out there, just feels like there's so much unexplored territory that could hold even better stuff.

Derek_the_Dodo

Sep 28, 2010
4 pages and no one has said red dead redemption yet?

Ok, I mean nothing can ever be truly perfect, there's always some small flaws, but asides from possibly a control issue or two rdr is one of the best games of this generation, or even all time.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Fappy said:
Chrono Trigger. Though it is strangely not my favorite SNES game.
This. The story, characters, pacing, art design, gameplay, amount of content, especially the music, even the graphics. Simply sublime. I cannot think of any (major) criticisms for that game.

Though I wish now that there was a hard mode, it is a wee bit too easy.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
bartholen said:
Fappy said:
This. The story, characters, pacing, art design, gameplay, amount of content, especially the music, even the graphics. Simply sublime. I cannot think of any (major) criticisms for that game.

Yeah its a bit too easy I agree. My only criticism of the game is that it takes too long to get Frog back into the party :p

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Fappy said:
bartholen said:
Fappy said:

Yeah its a bit too easy I agree. My only criticism of the game is that it takes too long to get Frog back into the party :p
I never really cared for Frog, neither in gameplay or story. His character doesn't really become full circle until you complete the Cyrus sidequest, although I was genuinely surprised at the twist about him and Magus.

I consider Frog to be the least useful of the characters along with Marle. He is strong in neither melee or magic and his techs aren't really that good. This is where the difficulty becomes a problem: if there were higher difficulty settings, the kind of mix-class between melee/light magic/healer Frog is could be really useful for more tactical gameplay. Now he's just... okay.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Persona 4, it is literally perfect in every single way. I never understood why people say "nothing is perfect" surely something, somewhere, sometime must have been completely perfect.

Personally that thing is Persona 4. I have never seriously called something perfect before. I'm not even nostalgia blinded! I was 18 when I played it for the first time.

Yes nobody is perfect but something can be perfect

I can only assume it's a religious thing. Only God is perfect right? So those old painters used to intentionally scratch their work slightly to make it not "perfect." Does that translate over if you don't believe in said deity?

This is why I don't visit the R&P forums...
Perfection is an ideal not a state of being basically like an infinite something to keep you going forward and achieve new heights but by its very nature is completely unattainable and cant physically exist, you also cant get near perfection because of this.

God is said to exist and as such is not perfect in fact im not sure many religions even say that their god is perfect especially in pantheons where they are usually all seen as hugely flawed but powerful beings. Lots of religious types would of course twist what they read into saying their God(s) are perfect though. If he/she/it/they/etc dosent exist he (etc) isnt perfect either, for obvious reasons.

So for me no game is perfect but ones that felt like a fulfillment of the designers vision to me at least were Okami on PS2 and Journey on PS3 and Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 it just felt like they had a vision (limited vision) and carried it out with great expertise.

There are other games I like more though although these were ones I enjoyed immensely.

dcdude171

Oct 16, 2009
I think a lot of people are confusing a " Perfect game" With their favorite game on this list. Some of my favorite games still have flaws. A lot of people saying super metroid is the closest thing to a perfect game they have ever played. I have't played it personally but thats what I heard. As far a games I played Metal gear solid 3- Its probably my favorite game as well. Perfect pacing, controls atmosphere and story. Bioshock is my other favorite game But I believe the whole little sister mechanic is too repetitive for it to be perfect as well as that the ending changes if you fuck up and kill one little sister. Another game that is close to perfect is Link to the pastt.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
I would have to go with Magicka, a lot of it would have made a different game not perfect if you put that feature in that game. But in Magicka everything works as a package.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Portal. That's it. While its not my favorite game it is the ONLY game I could walk away from and have zero complaints about. Except the cake is a lie jokes, but that's another issue.

But when you come down to it people will either
A: Ignore the bad parts and call it perfect.
or
B: Say that no game is perfect.

Its all to subjective honestly.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Wow I'm the 71st person to think they have a perfect game.

Crash Bandicoot 2.

For the younger viewer, it was a Playstation 1 game released late 1997, and in my opinion having played various platformers before and since, this is still the best, I've clocked this game twice, that's 100% completion, it's in some ways a very easy game, but when it comes to the challenging takes (mostly acquiring gems and coloured gems under special conditions), that's when the game really comes into its own, achieving that last 25% is very rewarding and extremely frustrating at the same time.

Overall, it just does what a platform game should, pointless cheesy story line, 2 dimensional characters, and simple no non-sense platform gameplay involving skilled timing, precision, level stategy, this game "is" its gameplay, thats its only real meaningful factor, marking it on anything else is pointless, especially by today's standards, but I think the gameplay is so good, I'd even call it timeless.

I put this here under the basis that it is impossible to make a perfect game, even the most basic game will have flaws, and CB2 isn't immune to them, but I think it has dated very well, was at the peak of platform gaming. There's nothing like running through an entire level, without making a single mistake, getting the crystal and the gem, making it to the finish teleport, and just feeling like a complete boss because you pulled it off.

Even after all of the amazing RPGs, RTSs, even FPSs, many of which I'd rate 9.X/10 some 10/10, this game is still my favourite of all time, because it achieves what a platform game, well every good game should achieve, it's addictive, rewarding, and mega fun. The perfect game.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
dcdude171 said:
I think a lot of people are confusing a " Perfect game" With their favorite game on this list. Some of my favorite games still have flaws. A lot of people saying super metroid is the closest thing to a perfect game they have ever played. I have't played it personally but thats what I heard. As far a games I played Metal gear solid 3- Its probably my favorite game as well. Perfect pacing, controls atmosphere and story. Bioshock is my other favorite game But I believe the whole little sister mechanic is too repetitive for it to be perfect as well as that the ending changes if you fuck up and kill one little sister. Another game that is close to perfect is Link to the pastt.
I kind of expected that but what you said is the reason I started the thread: I realized that a lot of my favorite games have (sometimes many) flaws. I particularly like severely buggy open world games like San Andreas & Fallout 3.
I specified my question to the point of what games would you not make any changes to so there is some room for interpretation. Some people like the flaws in some of their favorite games; think that it adds to the charm. I guess I just have that perspective more with music than with games. For example, in San Andreas there's a song called Grunt by The JBs. Not the tightest musical recording in the game by far but it's definitely my favorite song in the game. The messy rhythm is (to me) part of what makes the song so interesting and perfect for that game.
I've been trying to think of a game that's perfect (flawless &/or I wouldn't improve on it) and I don't think I can. There's always something that pulls it back from the brink of perfection: Valkyria Chronicles needed a 2p (splitscreen & online) mode, Portal was a little slow to get moving, Borderlands was very static, and Link to the Past... I did love that but played it a while ago. I'm sure there was something that bugged me about it.

Sep 14, 2009
erttheking said:
Not really, something is going to have some flaws, no matter how minor. Besides, perfection is subjective.
exactly,

try describing the "perfect woman/man"

everyone is going to have different answers.

flaws to some people are strengths(or don't matter/bother them) to others.

I can't honestly suggest any game, even the portal games, they have always been fun, but i've said it before and i'll say it again, they feel like over polished flash games, that you play once and are done. Nearly every game i buy i play again and again, and i can't do that for the life of me with portal 1 and 2, which i would then consider a flaw.