Poll: Has a game made you cry?

themyrmidon

Sep 28, 2009

I could list all the manly tear scenes in ME3, but I want to get some sleep tonight. I'll just say that the end made me break down (in my defense I was up for 34 hours at that point, so my emotions were raw).

Other games have drawn the manly tear once or twice, but ME3 in my true weakness. It's a raw, exposed emotional nerve.

Although mark my words, if I ever beat Civ 5 on Deity I will unleash a flood of tears.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Wafflemarine said:
Dragon Age Origins and the Grey Wardens. They fight without any thought of gain for themselves and risk death just to join the group.
The grey warden stuff gets lost under EVERYTHING ELSE trying to be so dark, edgy and depressing. Why no tears for the mages? Why no tears for Morrigan and what she has to do to save people from her mother?

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
the ending to mass effect with all the ships coming in to save the Destiny Ascension. the music always makes me tear up.

and well anyone who didn't at least get misty eyed on Tuchanka is lying......

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Many times in Mass Effect 3.

The ending of Bastion.

When I thought MC was dead at the end of Halo 3.

Twice in Borderlands 2.

Low chaos ending in Dishonored.

Probably many more. I cry a lot at movies and games...

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Let's see... the ones that I can recall are:

Fable 3 - I got really teary eyed at the end but managed to not cry until I made it to the safety of my room.

BioShock 1 & 2 - Cried big ol' fat tears for the good endings.

BioShock Infinite - I got a bit wet eyed at the end. Probably would have cried a little if I understood what was going on at the time.

EDIT: Whoops, thought this was only for game endings. Clarifying the above and adding in Mass Effect 3 for when two major characters died.

SwOJester

Jul 9, 2012
Persona 3 and 4 were real bastards on that regard... Got teared up at the ending of Walking dead, MGS3, MGS4, Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the abyss. They're probably more... But yeah, my memory is crap, sorry.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
MorphingDragon said:
Wafflemarine said:
Dragon Age Origins and the Grey Wardens. They fight without any thought of gain for themselves and risk death just to join the group.
The grey warden stuff gets lost under EVERYTHING ELSE trying to be so dark, edgy and depressing. Why no tears for the mages? Why no tears for Morrigan and what she has to do to save people from her mother?
At least Mages weren't treated as bad as the elves by the end of the first game. They were civilization's punching bags.

No tears for Morrigan cause I couldn't not kill kids without getting disapproval.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Lots of moments from the Metal Gear Solid series

And some visual novels like katawa shoujo and muv luv

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
I have a list here!

Front Mission 3: 2 times

1)Death of Liu in Emma campaign
2)Death of Isao in Emma campaing

Walking Dead: 1 time

1)Death of Lee

Mass Effect 3: 3 times

1)Mordin's sacrifice
2)Legion's sacrifice
3)"The prayer was not for him, Commander"

Persona 4: Golden

1)Nanako and Ryotaro's reunion
2)Nanako's death
3)Nanako's revival
4)Extended epilogue when crew was celebrating Yu's return

Xan Krieger said:
Front Mission 3 when your sister sacrifices herself to destroy MIDAS
Can I... Can I just give you a hug?

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Mass effect 3: No more info needed.

Halo reach: What? why? how? the time at which Kat died, the music did not help. And the last level, one vs all, such a great ending...

Borderlands 2: After Angel was killed and Rolan was, shot, in the back. I did not see it coming and I like the guy, Also made Jack all that more hateful.

I think there are other games and other scenes, but you get the idea, I am no iron man when it comes to crying...

Branovices

Oct 15, 2008
Cried while playing Lost Odyssey... but my mom had died not long before, so I was already rather emotional. If any of you've ever played it, you know it can be a pretty depressing game; you might also guess what set off my tears without my having to figure out how spoiler tags work, hehe.

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
I tend to shed tears from pride and accomplishment more so than sadness.

Half Life 2 "Little Rocket Man" achievement. I stood up, saluted and shed a few when Gnome Chompsky made it into space.

Beating Viewtiful Joe on the hardest difficulty.

Biggest one was Ace Combat 4, Megalith. The music, the radio chatter, the mission itself, the ending. Big freakin' bucket of tears.

Side note: For movies, Joy Luck Club. I wept like a little girl at that ending.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
No, not at all. But I did get sad in NUNS3 when Minato and Kushina say their final words to Naruto, as they're dieing from the Fox claw punctured through their bodies. (Never saw this scene in the anime or manga, so it was fresh for me when I saw it in the game)

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
The Walking Dead, The Darkness, Journey, Mass Effect 3 (The one scene where Grunt fights the Rachni. Dat music) and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
EstrogenicMuscle said:
Lots of games. I cry a lot at Tales of the Abyss.

I cry over A...a... him. I cry over I...I... him as well.
I cry every time I hear this song to be honest.

I cry all the time and over a lot of games. But to honest, hardly anything is as emotionally evocative for me as this song.
First game that ever made me cry. This music alone is enough to make me tear up a little. Tales of the Abyss was a really great game, I'm so glad it was finally released in Europe.

Not sure if there are any other games that made me cry. Lufia 2 was depressing as hell, but I breezed through that one. Professor Layton Lost Future made me really sad though. It combines beautiful animation, a well written story and stunning voice acting in a way that made me care so much about the professor over the 3 games leading up to the ending of the third.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Every Metal Gear Solid game leaves me in tears at some point.

Valkyrie Profile, there's this woman who loves the ocean but her parents died at sea. One day she's down at the ocean and a wave drags her out to sea and she drowns, she had wished to be with her parents and that's how her wish came true.

Final Fantasy X, when Yuna does the sending for the people of Kilika.

Fable when I killed my sister to keep the sword, reminded me of my own dead sister and I felt like I had just killed her.
Seriously, use the spoiler tags. You are exposing important plot events here and it's not certain everyone has played the games you are talking about. I have just got Valkyria Chrnocles and now I am going to try to forget what you said about it before I am going to play it. It's a matter of a few extra seconds and you avoid spoiling the games.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Yopaz said:
Xan Krieger said:
Every Metal Gear Solid game leaves me in tears at some point.

Valkyrie Profile, there's this woman who loves the ocean but her parents died at sea. One day she's down at the ocean and a wave drags her out to sea and she drowns, she had wished to be with her parents and that's how her wish came true.

Final Fantasy X, when Yuna does the sending for the people of Kilika.

Fable when I killed my sister to keep the sword, reminded me of my own dead sister and I felt like I had just killed her.
Seriously, use the spoiler tags. You are exposing important plot events here and it's not certain everyone has played the games you are talking about. I have just got Valkyria Chrnocles and now I am going to try to forget what you said about it before I am going to play it. It's a matter of a few extra seconds and you avoid spoiling the games.
I didn't spoil it because the game came out over a decade ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_Profile
"It was released on December 22, 1999 in Japan and on August 29, 2000 in North America."

Kipiru

Mar 17, 2011
Mass Effect 3, with some of its death scene brought a tear to my eye, but the real waterworks only came on during Unreal II: The Awakening's ending. Classic!