Poll: How Happy Are You Being Single?

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
My wife moved out a couple weeks ago. Her choice. I'm fucking miserable.

I realized I haven't been single for about twelve years, and the idea of it is... not cool, I guess. I can't think of a more elaborate way to say it.

I've proven myself as a very base and shameful hypocrite. I have always espoused the duty of any human being to be able to stand on their own, and be able to be happy within themselves and find love as a supplement to that happiness... simply a great thing to be enjoyed along with someone (or someones, whatever your deal may be), but still here I am, alone, lonely, and more bitter and angry than I have ever been in my life...

And what do I do with that anger? I take it to the Internet. I'm sure some of you are perfectly nice people, but I find myself stuck in limbo without the only person I have trusted to help shoulder my emotional burdens for the last several years, and you guys aren't it. No one on the Internet is.

I would not say I am happy being single, and for the first time in my life I am regretful of the choices I have made, but I seem to lack the clarity to make better ones in the future.

Niko Stepz

Dec 17, 2009
I'm content I guess. It depends on the day, some days I'm fine with it and enjoy all the free time and solitude. Other days I wish I had someone to be with. I don't know, I wouldn't say I'm unhappy all the time, just occasionally

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
Am I happy being single? A few years ago I would have said yes to this question without a second thought. Now I'm not so sure, allow me to explain you see when ever the subject of relationship, love or sex comes in to play, my reaction always varies. I can either be apathetic and try to ease my way through the conversation whilst being polite and normal as possible or I can be a really sarcastic and bitter dickhead towards the person who started the conversation. Not to mention the worse of all this, is that when I do go into this bitter state of mind I start to think to myself, how great it would be for this person to lose their happiness, why should they find love when I'm stuck with the curse of being single for the rest of my life. When I snap out of it I feel horrible as the people I direct these thoughts to are my friends.

However whilst I'm not happy with being single I can tolerate it and I'm pretty much contented with my life so far. That being said I would like to experience the companionship of a girlfriend at least once in my life, just so I can get the heavy burden of being single all my life of my back, because that's all it has ever been to me a fucking burden.

Sorry for the rant but this is just my feelings on this subject.

Also if they're any grammar mistakes I apologise in advance.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
I want love so bad. But it's impossible.
A man like me, so irresponsible...
'tis same for me, and also I'm somewhat frantic
'cause I want a woman with which to be romantic.

Part of my displeasure is a feeling of curiosity (despite irresponsibility)
that is so overwhelming that I too feel animosity (about impossibility).

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
I need a girlfriend... Although I am happy doing whatever I want like riding my motorcycle all the time. But then again, I'm so ronery...

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
TestECull said:
I was bored single. Now, though? Nah. Not bored at all. Absolutely loving it, and I wouldn't for a second consider becoming single again.
Loop Stricken said:

Blah. Get out there. If I, a fat-ass, socially inept dingus with eccentric hobbies and a penchant for finding companionship in internal combustion engines, can find someone, so can you.
Shit, are you actually Jeremy Clarkson?

On topic. Like the OP I am content but I suspect that the opposite of "you don't know what you have till you lose it" also rings true the other way.

If you have never had it how can you be happier without it?

Gotta happen one day, right?

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
I'm absolutely dissatisfied with being single. Actually, perhaps "single" isn't the way to describe myself; even the idea of a woman being romantically interested in me is a profound violation of logic and sense. If a woman ever engaged in a relationship with me, the universe would spontaneously collapse.

This, of course, is the fate of somebody who considers a nice, relaxing (!) weekend to involve installing and trying out Version 7 Unix on a PDP-11 simulator. Very few women consider this an endearing characteristic; none would put up with the full collection of my interests and hobbies.
I knew, knew, I'd see you in here... And yet, I still clicked on the topic.

OT: I am currently in a relationship of sixteen months, and I'm incredibly happy. I do not do well in single life, and so I'm loath to go back to the loneliness and depression that I experience when alone.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Eh, I could take it or leave it. There are some times when I wish I had a significant other, but many times I'm content to be alone.
Though the sight of others in relationships does make me slightly envious, or resentful, hard to tell which.

At any rate it's a moot point, whether I'm happy or not, I don't see a relationship happening anytime in my immediate future.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I'm single, and I'm a lot more satisfied than I used to be with it. I desire physical intimacy and possibly a relationship, but they're not essential to my happiness.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
I've never been very good at socializing, and I don't often meet girls I'm truly interested in. When I do, they're often taken. So yeah, I'm single. And heck no I don't like it. What do I want? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiqmZLOaD8o]

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
joshuaayt said:
Perfectly so. I could do with more friends, but I sure as hell don't want a partner.
This is pretty much my opinion too. I don't know a lot of people in the new town I've moved too, but I certainly don't want a girlfriend. I love being single.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I am single and usually happy. Sometimes I do get a bit unhappy and want to get a girl, but I am bad at socializing. But usually fine with it, so I say happy.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
Me, I don't like skinny girls. A man like me is dead in places where other men feel liberated. I want love. Just a different kind.

So yeah, I'm not happy being single.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
I'm single. I'm happy. My state of bachelorhood is not why I am happy, but it causes me no unhappiness. I would love to be in a relationship, but it won't kill me and I will lose no sleep if I'm not.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
manic_depressive13 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
manic_depressive13 said:
Naturally, no one loves me so I'm quite miserable.
That sounds rather depressing, but it seems to be said so casually I'm not sure what to think...
Suggest to me an easy, painless and effective way of killing myself and I'll prove it to you.
I can't think of a way to say this that doesn't sound either patronising or pathetic, but are you OK? Scratch that - what's wrong? (if you don't mind venting at a random stranger on the internet)

OT: I'm fairly happy either way. There are pros and cons to both being single and being in a relationship, and until I'm completely ready to settle down, they balance each other out. Honestly, simply being in control of my mind/not existing entirely in despair and depression is enough for me right now.

Philol

Nov 7, 2011
I used to be happy being single, but not any more, I want someone to love, and to love me.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I'm 16, never been in a relationship and happy (except when life is a major *****). I also don't really want to be in a relationship.

I'm very certain I have Schizoid Personality Disorder (not to be confused with schizophrenia), which is a lack of desire for social interaction, Just something you should know if you, for some reason, can't comprehend the above.