Poll: How Happy Are You Being Single?

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
I'm single and couldn't be happier. It is, after all, my stated objective to stay as such permanently. The last thing I want or need is a wife and family holding me back and sucking up my money! Hence, my vow of chastity.

Thus, since I have no interest whatsoever in pursuing a relationship, the lack thereof presents no loss of happiness, and in fact only reaffirms that all is going according to plan. Given the circumstances, I am as happy as I could feasibly be.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Antitonic said:
IamQ said:
Antitonic said:
Being asexual, I don't want to be with anyone more than just hanging out as friends. No relationship drama, no wasting money (you don't want to), just happy loneliness.
Isn't that being aromantic though? Being asexual simply means that you don't enjoy sex. Just because you don't enjoy sex, doesn't mean that you can't enjoy love.
You're actually the first person who's bothered to call me on that. Kudos to you! Yes, aromantic is what I mean, but it seems people have a hard enough time understanding "asexual", without throwing in the qualifiers. I am an aromantic asexual though.
Since it's now been clarified that you are aromantic aswell, I must ask: Where do you draw the line between a good friend, and love?

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
IamQ said:
Antitonic said:
IamQ said:
Antitonic said:
Being asexual, I don't want to be with anyone more than just hanging out as friends. No relationship drama, no wasting money (you don't want to), just happy loneliness.
Isn't that being aromantic though? Being asexual simply means that you don't enjoy sex. Just because you don't enjoy sex, doesn't mean that you can't enjoy love.
You're actually the first person who's bothered to call me on that. Kudos to you! Yes, aromantic is what I mean, but it seems people have a hard enough time understanding "asexual", without throwing in the qualifiers. I am an aromantic asexual though.
Since it's now been clarified that you are aromantic aswell, I must ask: Where do you draw the line between a good friend, and love?
Ah, see this is a tricky one. What is love? Baby don't hurt me. It's probably not the most polite way to put it, but I consider a friend to be someone you can hang around with, but wouldn't like to spend all of your time with. It's fun to chill with "the boys" every now and then, but I wouldn't want to do that even on consecutive days.

I'm not even sure I'd consider the friends I have to be "good" friends. Friends, sure, but good friends? Eh...

The Riff

Aug 23, 2008
I am not happy. I hate being singel at the moment. I feel like i am missing something. I would like to be in a relationship but, i am really picky with who i date which sucks and lowering my standards doesnt really work too well for me. I just cant do it.

But then being singel have its perks thou. ;P

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Jacco said:
So I've been single for a long time and up until recently, I was content to be so. I won't say happy, but content. Anyway, this girl I met in a class I took caught my attention when I began chatting with her on Facebook and as we were talking, the subject of relationships came up.
I thought she had a boyfriend but it turned out she didn't and she made a point of telling me she was single and then made another point of telling me she was happy as such because she'd been in a solid string of them since she was 15 (we're 21).

That got me thinking. Is anyone REALLY happy to be single? Or is it just an excuse they tell themselves to justify not being in a relationship? I can't understand that anyone would be happy to be single. And if one was truly happy being single, then why would they ever say yes to a date?
I wasn't content to be single until I was 19/20, but I did date several girls/women between 10 (yes 10) and 18, so perhaps the theory is that when you date, you want to date more, and vice-versa, when you're out of the 'game' the need for it drops off.

I think its kind of sad to be content and single, in a way, but considering global population, more straight people should be happy single, and more g/l/b/t people should exist, it would reduce our population concerns greatly (I'm looking at you India).

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
I'm fine with being single after the train-wreck that was my engagement, except around Valentine's Day... at that point it's just enraging to be single because of all the romantic crap that gets shoved in your face from every angle

Shady Dealer

Jun 8, 2009
I perosnally am rather meloncholy. i ddint want a relationship for a long time then i hit a period were i tricked myself into thinking i needed one to be happy. I then stumbled into a relationship and it didnt last. I'm lonley and a part of me still wants someone that close to talk to but i'm at peace and really thats whats important.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I've never been in a romantic relationship, never even been on a date. I suffer from social anxiety so the thought of such a closely knitted relationship seems a bit terrifying.

For me at least being single is freedom.

Mar 9, 2010
I'm the kid with all the Lego Star Wars sets and characters, I've just lost Yoda's lightsaber. I'm happy with what I have, I can still play to my heart's content, but there is a small piece that should be there that I don't have.

I'm not about to go looking for Yoda's lightsaber, but if I see something resembling it or have a thought of where it might be then I'm going to have to act on it.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I voted happy....I'm not exactly happy, but neither am I unhappy...there was no option for "eh...it's ok I guess"

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I go through periods of being happy about it and not wanting to be single. It really depends what situation I find myself in.

Haukur Isleifsson

Jun 2, 2010
Happy being single. Would be happy in a relationship. Generally a happy guy I guess. But I'm quite self-sufficient socially and never feel I need anyone. It would be nice to have someone to warm your heart (and your bed) though.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I haven't once dated in my life. And I'm fine with that. If I meet someone that I want to date, I will do so. I just haven't.
Until then, I'm content with my lot in life.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I have no idea! :D

It depends on my mood really, but I think I'm pretty neutral about it most of the time. Going from one extreme (thank God I'm single!) to the other (dammit this sucks!), but I try not to think about it and analyze about it more than I'd care to. Then again, I've never been in a relationship so I have no idea what I might be missing, so I might just being going through bouts of being miserably lonely.

...So what I'm really trying to say is crab legs are delicious, especially in butter!

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
I just want one good relationship, whatever happens after that I dont care.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
well i'm single, hell, i've been single my whole life
yep...never had a girlfriend
so i guess i don't know what i'm missing

even though i'd like one, i'm not looking for one, i can't drive yet, and frankly i have zero time to spend on a girlfriend at this point in my life, i have to start working hard in school, or else i won't get into any good colleges, plus i'm socially inept, unnattractive, and i'm pretty sure there are rumors going around the school that i'm gay

not really the best time for a relationship

but i'm happy, truly and completely happy, i have some friends, i have a loving family, and i have all the time in the world to find a girlfriend, there is no need to rush things

Hasido

Jun 20, 2011
Crab legs are Yummy! Hooray for Indifference! I seem Incapable of capitalizing things Consistently today!

I would say "happy" that i'm single, but i honestly don't know what how i would feel, i just know that i don't feel upset about it. hence the answer of indifference.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
I don't like being in relationships just for the sake of it. I don't even know what being in a relationship even means, not that I haven't had girlfriends, I just haven't actually found out what it actually means.

At the moment I'm single and I'm happy with my life, I doubt being in a relationship will make me happier. I don't know how it can, because, like I said, I have no idea what being in a relationship means.