Poll: I Just Started Smoking :D

Dec 27, 2010
marfoir(IRL) said:
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Then your addicted. It's impossible to enjoy smoking, inhaling smoke is one of the most tortuous experiences I've ever had the misfortune of having, the only way of enjoying it is either the addiction satisfaction or the childish psychological feeling of "being a big boy".
While I agree with you post generally this is just plain wrong. I smoke and I enjoy smoking. I can also admit my addiction, however my enjoyment of having a smoke at times is not reliant on satisfying my addiction.

And I can also admit that at times I smoke purely because I need one now man, but your point that it is impossible to enjoy a smoke is wrong!
It's not so much that you can't enjoy smoking, it's that I don't think you can enjoy the act of smoking. I've tried it a few times when I was an impressionable child with an equally impressionable cousin, who had some dodgy friends, and I honestly didn't get any enjoyment from it outside of the act of rolling it up (I'm odd like that). Maybe there is, I suppose, I just didn't get it.

FireCoroner

Jun 28, 2010
I love the way people assume that you're trolling when you tell them you enjoy smoking.
I don't smoke all week and I buy a twenty box on friday evening. Anyone who says that I'm just an addict in denial is being very silly indeed.

A Tasty Burger

Apr 16, 2010
Whenever I see a smoker I tell them to stand further away from me, I start coughing and I tell them I don't want their damn cancer and they shouldn't be allowed to smoke outside and should just go kill themselves slowly at home

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I don't understand people who start smoking in this day and age. Everyone knows it's bad for you, and to me theres no discernible benefit.

I occasionally smoke weed and drink alcohol, but with those I actually feel an effect. The couple of times I have smoked I felt... Nothing. And with the "camaraderie" aspect, well, I always go out with my mates when they smoke anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

Dec 14, 2009
Ultra-Chronic Monstah said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I never claimed I was superior for not smoking.

Sounds like a persecution complex to me.
No? Might have been the other guy then. My apologies, I must've gotten you mixed up. I know someone definitely did.

Look.

I would never go up to a stanger and tell them that smoking is bad for them, that's fucking ridiculous.

But if I know someone? I tell them just how stupid I think they are.

My parents smoke and my sister smokes, it's an expensive and filthy habit, and they're very fucking hypocritical about it.

"Oh, spending more money on videogames are we? What a waste"

They then proceed to spend hundreds of pounds a year on cigarettes.
Yeah ok, if you worry for someone's health I get that. When you talked about voicing your opinion I assumed you meant just telling every smoker you see that they're retarded. And I can't argue with the cost. That's insane.
Nah man, I find the zealous anti-smokers just as fucking annoying as anyone else. At least smokers typically keep it to themselves.
I try to. Of course you do get the obnoxious ones that stand outside schools blowing smoke into people's faces and such. Nah man, I just to conclusions on this one, my bad.
There always going to be arseholes in every group.

Smokers aren't defined by the fact they smoke. They're just normal people who happen to smoke. Most of them will quietly or politely leave a gathering for a quick one and that will be that.

If there were no or very few health issues with smoking, I wouldn't have a problem.

But as it is? I don't like the idea that my sister will probably die long before I do (and she's younger than me).

Maybe those are my issues, but it still doesn't stop me from thinking how much of a waste it is.

marfoir(IRL)

Jan 11, 2008
marfoir(IRL) said:
Then your addicted. It's impossible to enjoy smoking, inhaling smoke is one of the most tortuous experiences I've ever had the misfortune of having, the only way of enjoying it is either the addiction satisfaction or the childish psychological feeling of "being a big boy".
While I agree with you post generally this is just plain wrong. I smoke and I enjoy smoking. I can also admit my addiction, however my enjoyment of having a smoke at times is not reliant on satisfying my addiction.

And I can also admit that at times I smoke purely because I need one now man, but your point that it is impossible to enjoy a smoke is wrong!
It's not so much that you can't enjoy smoking, it's that I don't think you can enjoy the act of smoking. I've tried it a few times when I was an impressionable child with an equally impressionable cousin, who had some dodgy friends, and I honestly didn't get any enjoyment from it outside of the act of rolling it up (I'm odd like that). Maybe there is, I suppose, I just didn't get it.
See this I can agree with. It was just the way you said it the first time(i.e. 'impossible').
I do understand that some people dont or cant enjoy it and tbh its for the best, what with it being the awful habit that it is.

Also there is something quite satisfying about rolling one nicely I find :)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
No I like not spending 8-10 dollars a for a pack of dried leafs in paper that are smothered in over 3000 chemicals and not getting lung cancer or other horrible things. I don't see the reason for anyone to pick up smoking and if your answer is "I like the social aspects of it" then just stand outside and let them get lung cancer you silly person.

There's nothing beneficial in smoking, it's expensive, fucks your health and pisses other people off. Oh yeah and it's addictive despite you not being so now, so enjoy that luxury of not being addicted at the moment and stop.

Maybe this is just me being bias from trying to get 3 people to stop smoking namely my mother as one but probably not considering there's nothing good about smoking. Other than most of the money going to taxes I guess?

Shifty

Apr 21, 2011
Smoking is one of the worst things that I have have ever taken up (and believe me I have been around) out of everything it is the hardest to give up.
You do not realize when you start how addictive it is, take my word for it. I wish I never did.
Its your body though so your choice however one thing i will say the financial cost of smoking if you are a heavy smoker can be very high. I smoke 40 a day and it costs me over a hundred euro a week. Oh he joys.

Vuxul

Europony
Dec 7, 2010
Good for you :D, can't say i don't stray away from the occasional cigar. Just take the decision yourself, if you like it, do it. True, it can kill you, but what can't in our day and age.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What is this, I don't even...

Are you for real? People are starting?

In this day and age?

Mind boggling.
"In this day and age"? What do you mean?

OT: Are you... trolling? 'Cause if so, you're not very good. Sorry.
What I mean, is that there is so much information easily available that warns people just how bad for you smoking is, that only a idiot would start.

You can do what you want with your body, that's your right, but it's also my right to tell you how stupid it is.
A few thing wrong with this.

1.) Saying it's stupid for harming you is pretty close-minded. Why is it stupid? Life only has as much value as one gives it. Just because you've given it a high value doesn't mean everyone does.

2.) You only live once. This isn't a rehearsal.

3.) Sometimes people are pushed to things like smoking. Life can be very stressful, and people deal with it in different ways. Some people smoke, some drink, some work out.

4.) I don't see how it's your right to call us stupid. Why have you earned it? Please tell me you don't honestly believe that not smoking makes you better than anyone, because that's tragic.

5.) There is so much information that warns people against frequently using a computer, but you're on one. There's so much information warning against eating fast food, but I'm sure you've enjoyed a cheeky little Maccy D's. Hell, there's a lot of information that warns us that sitting down to take a shit is dangerous, but we all do it.
1) It's stupid for the same reason that cutting yourself is stupid. It is self harming with no benefits. Which makes it stupid.
2) You only live once so why should you throw that away by smoking.
3) No one is pushed into smoking it is a choice they make.
4) By not smoking, by making the choice to not do something that will kill me. And yes that does make me better then smokers.
5) There is also information that says cell phones give you cancer, but they don't. There is Information that says cell phone use at a gas pump can cause it to explode, but it can't. Smoking has been proved beyond a doubt to have negative effects. You also do not get addicted to Mickey D's
1.) The moment you said this I knew that you don't really know what you're talking about. Calling cutting stupid is just ignorant. And secondly, it does have benefits: It calms us down.

2.) It's not throwing it away.

3.) There's no such thing as a fully free choice. Nobody simply starts smoking one day. Events in their life must've put them there.

4.) If you think that you're better for not smoking, I really feel bad for you. That's just so very sad and big headed.

5.) You can get addicted to McDonalds. Believe me, I'm friends with someone who's just beaten an addiction (I'm not even kidding). And you missed my point entirely. It wasn't on the validity of the statements, I was just pointing out that everyday we do things that are proven to have negative effects, but we don't say a thing. Yet smoking makes us pariahs because your mummy and daddy told you smoking is evil.
1) I do indeed know what I am talking about hurting yourself to relieve stress or to draw attention is stupid.

2) Yes it is

3) Yes there is, you always make the choices you want to make no matter the situation. People smoke because they choose to do it.

4) And you are judging me because I think I'm better then smokers. I believe that I made better choices then smokers and am entitled to my own beliefs, funny how quick you are to push me down and pity me.

5) No I did not miss your point, I'm saying that just because people say things are bad for you doesn't mean that they are. McDonalds is considered bad for you because it can make you obese, if you don't exercise, Sitting in-front of your computer is considered bad for you if you don't keep proper posture and don't maintain a proper exercise scheduled. Smoking is bad for you no matter what you do. And no I know smoking is bad because I have watched several family members die due to smoking, and both of my parents are nurses and have themselves witnessed the negative effects of smoking.

TestSubject4

May 6, 2010
I'm a smoker of several years and I hate it with a fury, just started my 7th try at quitting but there is no debate to be had here, smoking is dangerous and yes you will become addicted end of story. So to answer your question as to what I smoke or smoked depending on how this attempt goes is/was Winfield Red roll your own.

I am going to tell you to get out now, but I figure you've got all the information you need to make an informed decision.

Redout9122

Jul 8, 2011
PHOENIXRIDER57 said:
I'm sure the poll has already been done, but look it up.... :effort:

So I just started smoking last week and I'm loving it so far. I do it for the camaraderie. I enjoy going outside with friends to have a smoke. I tried Camels but like Marbs better. I just wanted to see what people think of smoking, and to see what everyone else smokes?

Please don't tell me to stop, because I am not addicted to it and could if I want to. I enjoy smoking.
If you're going to smoke, at least smoke cloves.

All of my smoking friends agree that cloves taste better, even if they're more expensive, and they don't all smell like ass either.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
It's gross. It smells bad. It makes you and everyone around you sick, and it will most definitely kill you at some point. Really don't see the point.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I don't smoke, but I am fine with people smoking around me, also my brother says he will beat the shit outta me if I do smoke ever.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
was this thread really necessary? when it comes to certain people on this site smoking seems to be as much of hot button topic as any religious or political debate.

All thats gonna happen is alot of pointless rage and arguement, and lots of people are gonn walk away with suspensions or what not.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
How very sad for you.
The way I see it smoking is no different from suicide; you're just doing it slowly.
I hope the camaraderie is worth joining the ranks of walking corpses, enjoy your lung cancer.

And before people yell at me for being judgmental: Yes, I realize I am being so. I see no reason to respect anyone who is throwing away their own health; you're effectively a dead man. I've seen my own Great Grandpa die of lung cancer because he used to smoke. He was a great man and didn't deserve to go. It doesn't matter that he eventually quit. The damage was done.