Poll: If you had to lose one sense, what would it be?

Kaiser6012

Mar 10, 2010
Sight, because, though we make it out to be the best sense of all, when it comes down to it sight can be lost and you can train your other senses to work overtime to cover for it (smell for dangerous presences, hearing for imminent obstructions, touch for motor control etc.)

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
So many comments are saying sight because you can train other senses. have they not considered how they would play games?

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I can't really decide. But I know not smell, sight or hearing (all of which are important in a chem lab).

OldRat

Dec 9, 2009
Smell. It's nice to smell good things, but the lack of it really wouldn't hinder my daily life.

Kaiser6012

Mar 10, 2010
Games are inconsequential. Fun and thought provoking at times, yes, but basically a luxury. If I had to lose any sense, I'd lose sight because:
Taste is important in detecting diseased and poisoned food;
Smell is important for detecting dangers such as fires and gas leaks, as well as playing a major part in taste;
Hearing allows me to navigate well enough, as well as hearing incoming obstacles and perils;
Touch allows me to, again, navigate my way around, as well as avoid hot, cold or other potentially dangerous aspects of the environment.
Sight is useful, but it does nothing the other four in tandem cannot do and sometimes sells us short. Thus, I'd lose sight.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Smell or taste. One hinges upon the other...though, actually, I'd go with taste. At least with smell I could detect foreboding scents.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
The Blue Mongoose said:
Either taste or smell. If I couldn't taste I could eat pretty much anything and most things that are good for me don't taste great so...

As for smell, eh, I don't really need it.
This. If I lost taste I might make an effort to eat healthier foods... maybe. But I love food so much
Hmm, if it didn't affect my ability to taste, I'd lose smell

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Nouw said:
Touch...

What the hell does it do except pain-wise?
Damn.. I voted smell, then i saw your post and now i regret my vote..
Not beeing able to feel pain would be awesome..

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
HapexIndustries said:
Definitely smell. I have a really good sense of smell and it sucks all the time cause my roommate has a dog. Fucking dog.
Your post made me laugh, and this isn't the first time you've done it. You have me laugh four times now, keep it up and continue brightening my day you funny man :D

I think I would lose either taste or smell.

Without taste I wouldn't be tempted to eat out of boredom and it would significantly reduce any future weight issues I may receive.

And as for smell, well I think the ratio to smells of farts and dog poop to smells of ANYTHING nice is pretty poor. I also personally don't like the smell of freshly cut grass, but I do love the scent of...petrol, don't judge it just smells nice! In all seriousness it would pose a threat if I released a deadly gas in a science class, or more likely I accidentally lit something on fire.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Either smell or taste, intertwined as they are. I'm a linguist, so I really need to see and hear in order to read and understand people, whilst without touch I'd be gone.

If we widen the field away from the Platonic senses, I'd say nociception... maybe.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
You people do realise that if you lose smell, you also lose taste, right? Try eating something while holding for your nose.

personion

Dec 6, 2010
I choose to lose the sixth sense, because I don't use it that much anyway. If I can't lose that, I would choose to lose two pennies, so I could lose 2 cents, effectively both ways work.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
Taste and smell are connected. If you loose one, you -will- loose the other. Smell would also affect memory.

I suppose sight, as mine's fairy bad enough as it is.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I go with touch because even though the things with that is great, I would not lose my smell since that kills taste, and I loooooooove tasting. Without taste my life would lose all meaning. However if the loss of smell didn't damage the tate at all, I'd go for that. I do not want to lose my hearing because I love music... also talking... also hearing cars... Not vision because that's the worst one to lose. Except that you get to walk around hitting people with a cane.