Poll: Lying to get laid is OK?

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
GreatTeacherCAW said:
I once told a girl that her dress would look better on me (not a cross-dresser before the oddly large LGBT Escapist community jumps in and whines) and an hour later I was in her apartment.
If I was in an aggressive mood and not still really burned out with the LGBT arguments, I'd point out that you just kind of rolled a natural one on that one.

1) What does cross dressing have to do with LGBT?
2) How small do you expect the 'community' to be?

Noone was going to whine until you got pre-emptively defensive, but that was quite a nasty little piece of projection. I really couldn't care less if you are or are not a cross dresser, but I care about the fact that you think claiming you're not should somehow carry some weight with me or anyone else.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Sure it's fine, if you want to be a total and utter douchebag. From what I've seen from my time working at a bar, it doesn't take much to get someone to go home with you, so why would you have to lie in th first place?

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Lying is never OK.

But it can be the lesser evil.

Giving a false compliment isn't OK. It's just better then being rude and not giving a false compliment in some cases.

Relationships, even if only one night long, are messy, you'll sometimes find that there's no good thing to do. Only bad things. One of those bad things, like lying, will often be better then the others. But don't ever confuse this for you doing the right thing, you didn't.

TheModWolf

Nov 19, 2009
Yeah I don't really have a problem if it's truly for a one night stand with someone you've never met/never going to see again, really where's the harm. Unless you're lying about future relationships with them. ie - i'm a millionaire and i invented the moon. fair enough to lie about.

i love you and i'll call you tomorrow (if you don't and have no intention to) probably more of a dick thing to do.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Really what it comes down to is, is it ok to lie? Im not sure, but lying is certainly interesting.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
I lie for personal entertainment. For example, I tell Muslim taxi drivers that I'm Jewish. When my hair gets kind of long (as it is now), it gets slightly curly. I just find it hilarious. No idea what gets me to do it.

I also randomly tell people that I used to play the Ruckman position in AFL. This kind of works, as I'm 6 foot, but I used to be the shortest person in my year when I said I played Ruckman. I also say I'm studying to be an Actuary. I don't really try to hook up using these, I just do it for entertainment. I'll probably never see these people again, so I make stuff up.

If I'm trying to get with someone for real, then I won't lie to them at all. It's not worth it, and I'm better than that.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
What? You mean like saying, "I think I really want to start a relationship with you," then dumping her the next day?

Or saying that you're a nuclear physicist who happens to be an Olympic marathon runner to impress a girl who you'll never see again, but want to get into bed with?

Or do you mean saying, "I don't have herpes" :\

No matter what, I think it's an utterly douchebag thing to do.

edit: hmm, seems I was ninja'd by the guy on top of the page :(

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
I consider lying, or any other form of abusing trust to be one of the worst things a person can do.

In other words I voted "No" and I'd like to append ", and people who do are the worst kind of scum" to the poll option.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
This is one of those things everyone does that no one admits to.
I've never seen a guy not lie through his teeth while making his first impressions.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Lie to get sex?
Would that even work?
Seriously, who would fall for that?
And what kind of lie would work?

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
lie to get sex?..

as long as my lie doesn't break the law...

then yes..

society created this monster... now it can have sex with it.

Thamian

Sep 3, 2008
I would say it depends on exactly what the lie is. For example, if you have STDs and say you don't, if you're not on contraception but say you are, or pretend like it's not just a one night stand when it is, etc, then yes, lying is wrong.

If it's something about the number of previous sexual partners you've had or your abilities in bed (or of course, their abilities) then I really can't see anything wrong with adjusting the truth a bit. Always seems to be the way the game's played.

In short, if it's something which could potentially physically or emotionally harm the other person that you're lying about then you should never lie about it. And in the case of whether or not it's a one night event, it's worth going out of your way to make sure that they realise it, and making sure they really are ok with that.

Clarkarius

Dec 21, 2008
I'm going to go with the answer, just because you can does not mean you should. I live in a university town and the people who go for 'one night stands' will go to stupid lengths to stand out and beat competition when on the pull, lying being but one of them. But these people are only looking for sex and these escapades tend not to lead to anything else as there ones who go with them have a similar agenda.

On the other hand if you are after a relationship then lying is the worst thing to do as you have immediately labelled yourself as a douche bag whose key prerogative was just to sleep with them, once the truth is revealed (which it most certainly will).

So yeah the choice is yours, whether you choose to follow the upright or the reversed path of the lovers is up to you, as long as you are willing to live with the consequences of your actions.