Poll: Mac versus PC: Let's be nice about it

Demonicdan

Dec 8, 2010
I wouldn't trust myself enough to build my own computer, so I use a PC with Windows, purely because Iv'e used Windows almost exclusively and when I use a mac the differences confuse me.

Boemmel

Jan 1, 2009
I think the "be nice" part of the OP regrettably is already vanished into thin air and since those kind of discussion (especially with this topic) routinely go nowhere (this one included), I will just say my personal universal advice in regards to all OS discussions:

Keep an open mind and try to experience as many different operating systems as you can. Learn from all of them, appreciate their different strenghts. Realize that in the end, they will all find ways to drive you completely mad.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Well it's pretty damn obvious that Macs are ridiculously overpriced, and if they don't run .exe files either there's not really much point from my point of view.
And I say that having just recovered from 3 days of no computer because my Windows broke, and I had to load up KolibriOS (which y'all should check out cos it's FIVE FUCKING MEGABYTES) to backup all my files, then reformat the hard drive. Wasn't fun, but whatever :p

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Faladorian said:
Mac:
---Pros---

*Exceptional hardware

---Cons---
*Counter-intuitive OS
Frist off I disagree with the fact mac hardware is good but the operating system is bad, its the other way around. I got used to mac in about a month, I was highly proficient with it and now I hardly every have a problem that I can't fix with out simply restarting it. On the other had the computer it self falls apart some how every 6 months, and I have to return it for repairs. They also make more and more horrible design choices; overly glossy screen that is to reflective, one piece mainframe because "it wooks pwitty" but if have a problem with any part of the computer you have a problem with the whole thing, the whole track pad is a bottom so when you press down your cursor shifts over. My mac has pissed me off time and time again, and it wasn't for the OS, it was for all the times the computer fell apart and I had to deal with the company that constantly tries to squeeze you out for all your worth.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
I grew up with Windows on a PC, and as i have realized how closed Mac is (through friends and iTunes), i have yet to be convinced to switch.

I like windows for being far more open than mac, but the extreme openness of Linux (a bit complex for me) has yet to convince me. I am thinking of using a websit i saw on BBC Click that lets you try out a Linux demo, to see if you want to enjoy it before you overhaul your whole computer.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Faladorian said:
Mac:
---Pros---

*Exceptional hardware
*Innovative design
*One foot ahead
(technologically)
*Aesthetics
*Master of nanotechnology
*Low virus charter
*Strong, outlasting shells
Can I ask about the hardware thing? I mean, apart from the nice screen, the components are standard computer hardware parts. Not exactly exceptional :/

Also, what do you mean about the nanotechnology thing? I mean, they are using intel chips, but don't upgrade the hardware until well after the next gen has come out :/ An up to date PC is more likely to have more advanced hardware.

Lastly, what's that about shells? Outlasting shells? Confusion.

---Cons---
*Viruses, viruses, viruses!
*Frequent errors and crashes
*Obnoxious security system (Windows 7)
*Vulnerable (non-isolated) core
files
*Comparatively fragile hardware
*Tendency to overheat
Viruses are simple to counter with free software, and errors and crashes seem largely to be a thing of the past in my experience of Windows 7. Which of course brings us to the easy to disable UAC, a silly idea that was implemented clumsily. Bad move, microsoft.

But come one, those last two points? Seriously? PCs are fragile and overheat? I thought we were going to be sticking to factual points :/

Personally, my experience with Macs has just been confusing. Closing windows without closing the program, that annoying 'peek' function that always seems bound to the most ridiculous button or mouse position, and iTunes - the less said about that obstructive piece of... the better. I guess a lot comes down to familiarity with the system - I can do what I want with a PC, but Macs just work all different and aim to obstruct me at every turn :/

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Self built PC with windows. I prefer my technology without the overinflated brand name pricing.
That and the freedom.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Boemmel said:
I think the "be nice" part of the OP regrettably is already vanished into thin air and since those kind of discussion (especially with this topic) routinely go nowhere (this one included), I will just say my personal universal advice in regards to all OS discussions:

Keep an open mind and try to experience as many different operating systems as you can. Learn from all of them, appreciate their different strenghts. Realize that in the end, they will all find ways to drive you completely mad.
Most people are being reasonable, but some people seem to have a vendetta against Apple. I asked for no bias and to give a good thing (just one even if you list a million bad) but eh... this is as close as it will get.

And you're right, every OS will drive you insane.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Mister Eff said:
I like both. I just got a new top of the range Macbook Pro and I'm loving that more than the Windows 7 computer I had however. I'm a film student, so I need to use it for editing etc, which is one area where Macs dominate.
I DON'T GET IT! People keep saying this without ANY evidence being quoted EVER :/ There's no way a Macbook can perform as well as a decent PC - I mean, those things start at £1000; you can easily build a decent rig for that, one with more than 4Gb of RAM and all that good stuff you need for processing large video files.

Is it the software? Cos both platforms have decent software, and personally I prefer the Adobe suite, so what is it about Macs that make them "soooo much better" for video editing and other creative pursuits? Where's the evidence?!

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
It's all preference, each is better than the other for something so whatever you need a computer for, choose which one accordingly. That's it. Me, I'm a laptop PC person.

Bender Rodriguez

Sep 2, 2010
WOPR said:
Bender Rodriguez said:
Mac here, was an advanced PC user up to 4 years ago.
I just got tiered of all the shit, viruses, bluscreen, crapware included etc...
I'd like to go on the statement "Take better care of your computer!"

I've had this thing for YEARS

Only had 2 viruses that caused damage (both my mom's fault- repaired the computer once, took it to a professional once)
And it's only blue-screened once

I looked it up online and it was something to do with my logitech drivers, I fixed the problem in about 2 minutes

I've no idea what you mean by "Crapware" though
I told you i was an advanced user, i did take good care of my machines.
Yet i got infected 2 or three times, my computer randomly crashed once when i was doing a report.
Got bluscreens several times while connecting equipment cause of faulty or outdated drivers.

Now, onto the word crapware.
Its shit installed by the manufacturer - People paid me to clean their computers before using them.
So much shit on there, looking at you in particular Acer.

Sure things have gotten better, and you can avoid the majority by doing clean installs.
I was a PC user ages ago in "computer years"

Don't insult my intelligence m8, respect others opinions.

The Mac is wonderful, tweak-able and very easy to take complete control over - People say its not advanced, its just as advanced as Linux or Windows.
The UI just seems to fool people into thinking its for 40 something parents and hipsters.

Heres a fun fact, my level of stress went down after switching.
I want my system to function without a hitch, lagging while scrolling.
Random hiccups and freezing for 5 seconds for no fucking reason was getting on my nerves.
Thinking of it just got me to swear.

Sep 14, 2009
self built windows all the way, i'd like to get into linux someday

macs are nice, sure, but the OS i could care less for, and with how locked down it is and the fiery dislike that i have for steve jobs and (imo) overpriced crap, you will never see me with a mac.

tunderball

Jul 10, 2010
Ok here's one you might not have thought about. I do 3D work at uni so I'm using a lot of programs like 3D Studio Max, Maya. Macs are really rubbish at running these types of programmes which is really odd because Steve Jobs is the main investor in Pixar so you have thought that there would be some kind of link between the two.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
I'm not a PC gamer as, I figure, if you want a machine for playing games on you might as well have one specifically designed to that purpose with a far more ergonomically interface. I'm also a film student and have to spend a lot of time writing journals, essays and screenplays as well as editing short exercises. With this in mind, I use a MacBook Pro running Mac OSX along with iWorks and Adobe Premier Pro.

Mister Eff

Apr 11, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
Mister Eff said:
I like both. I just got a new top of the range Macbook Pro and I'm loving that more than the Windows 7 computer I had however. I'm a film student, so I need to use it for editing etc, which is one area where Macs dominate.
I DON'T GET IT! People keep saying this without ANY evidence being quoted EVER :/ There's no way a Macbook can perform as well as a decent PC - I mean, those things start at £1000; you can easily build a decent rig for that, one with more than 4Gb of RAM and all that good stuff you need for processing large video files.

Is it the software? Cos both platforms have decent software, and personally I prefer the Adobe suite, so what is it about Macs that make them "soooo much better" for video editing and other creative pursuits? Where's the evidence?!
Calm down buddy. It's just the fact that you can't get some of the editing software (Such as Final Cut Pro/Studio etc) on PCs and those are the top for video editing.

diadia

Jun 26, 2010
I've always been a Windows PC gal myself. I never had all the problems people have mentioned having with Windows PC's, no viruses, no crashes, no flimsiness etc. My father still has the first PC he built for our family in 96/97 and it runs well. The Windows PC my uncle built for me in '99 is still working (I gave it to my aunt). The gateway PC I bought myself in 2000 and the one my mom bought me in 2002 are being used by members of my family too. I currently am using a new HP PC I bought myself last year when there was a really awesome deal going that I couldn't pass up and I haven't had problems either. I think a lot of the problems people have with Windows comes from how they use them and not knowing how to take care of them, sure there can be extenuating circumstances but for the most part I have found Windows to be solid and dependable. In addition to all that I'm a PC gamer so it would be hard for me to switch to mac.

My best bud uses Mac exclusively and we have agreed to disagree on this subject.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Nigh Invulnerable said:
Daveman said:
What's this about "exceptional hardware"?

Personally I just think Macs are stupidly over priced. That's all there is to it for me and all there needs to be.

Oh, that and the gaming thing.
Agreed on the over priced issue. A buddy of mine builds PCs and helped me with mine, and according to him, he can build a PC with identical hardware to a Mac for about half the cost (or better if he gets lucky on a sale).
He's not wrong. Overclockers.co.uk is offering a budget system that's almost identical to an iMac. The former costs £646, the latter £1600 or so. Yeah. The main difference there is the Mac has mouse, keyboard, screen and (crappy) internal speakers, but you can carry those on from your last machine.

That's £1000 for a screen, warranty and branding. I'd take that £1000 and buy a £100-600 screen and pocket the difference. And bear in mind that that's a pre-built box - no self-assembly required!

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Faladorian said:
Jamous said:
I usually find Macs are great for creative things, like flash and photoshop sort of stuff and almost everything else. BUT. Most importantly, you cannot game for shit on Macs. Unfortunate as it is. I've been stuck on mine for quite some time, so I've been trying my utmost (and failing) to get my PC back. I have PC games I pre-ordered and haven't played ffs! D;
You can emulate Windows on a section of your hard drive. If you find Bootcamp in your system tools, that will help you partition your hard drive, then you can install windows on a part of it to use for gaming. I'd suggest 100-150GB. After your computer does the trademark "Berrr!" just hold Alt and it will give you the option to boot up in Windows.

That's what my computer does, and it works like a charm ^^

Also, about the gaming thing, I had the same problem. I played the first Assassin's Creed on my Mac partition, and I liked it. I then tried to look for the second one on Mac, and found out it's windows-exclusive. So, I installed windows 7 on a 100GB partition and got it. Haven't turned back :D
Ok... So could you give me some pointers? I have a Virtual PC (IT DOES NOTHING), not Bootcamp. :S

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
With a Pc there is a lot more options for hardware and upgrading. With the OS, it really is based on prefferences, or simply what you are used to.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Or what you could do is buy Mac OSx, buy Windows 7, download a copy of ubuntu or whatever flavor of linux you want, build a computer of your choosing, and just boot into which ever OS you want.
Or heck, if you have a laptop, just install whatever OS you want along side yours

You save on cost, you know what the hardware can already do and then everyone would be happy!