Poll: Metroid: Other M killed Samus

MBurner 93

Mar 26, 2009
Flamma Man said:
Bradfucius said:
http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid

/thread
Oh, Bob.

Way to completely miss the point of why people don't like Samus. It isn't because they gave her a personality, it's just that this personality that they gave her was whinny, overbearing, annoying, melodramatic and pretty much telling us all about her.

I also love his argument about "Projection" when that's pretty much the basics of "Show don't tell". Throughout all the games, we saw Samus as a loner due to her choosing to be a lonely bounty hunter and never really getting close to anyone, but they also showed us that she did have feelings and wasn't a "robot" as Bob says.

This is easily shown throughout the Prime games if Bob didn't have his "FPS hate dial up to eleven."

But really, Bob's been really annoying lately, especially with his recent Overthinker videos which pretty much label him as a hardcore Nintendo Fanboy.

God, that Sony episode was shit and his latest one, this one, was no different.

I cringed throughout the whole "Strawman" bit.

UGH.
Yea honestly. That whole Strawman bit thing he does kinda pisses me off. In that vid, his strawman basically implies that everyone who didn't like the new Samus in Other M is a Japanaphobic troll from 4chan.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
LordNue said:
Flamma Man said:
LordNue said:
Actually he wasn't. He was the director of the original game along with Gunpei Yokoi. Hiroji Kiyotake and Makoto Kano created Samus.
Ah, my bad.
Not entirely since he's pretty much aping their work these days claiming he created her and that the entire series was his idea. He's turned into a bit of a **** and is pretty much removing everything that made the series unique and fun. They need to give the control to someone else. Someone who isn't crazy and thinks more about their kawaii waifu samus then the actual game.
Now this is also something i agree with.
Every time iv read an interview with Sakamoto he has come off as a Self absorbed Prick.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
Marble Dragon said:
...I disagree. Very, very much.

Part of the argument is that Samus acts like a girl now. Boo fucking hoo - Samus is a girl, in case those boobs didn't say anything.

Disclaimer: I've never actually played Other M. I may be wrong, and Miss Drake might be entirely correct.
The argument was NEVER about Samus acting like a girl, it's that her personality has been brought down to being an overbearing, shallow, over dramatic, exposition spewing annoyance.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
LordNue said:
Yea honestly. That whole Strawman bit thing he does kinda pisses me off. In that vid, his strawman basically implies that everyone who didn't like the new Samus in Other M is a Japanaphobic troll from 4chan.
So his strawman...is a strawman? How fitting.[/quote]Yeah, I actually kinda laughed a little when I thought about it after finishing the video.

Monk Ed

Feb 11, 2010
Flamma Man said:
The argument was NEVER about Samus acting like a girl, it's that her personality has been brought down to being an overbearing, shallow, over dramatic, exposition spewing annoyance.
If you were to mute the game whenever Samus begins a soliloquy, would the result be a much better experience? In other words, is it really just the storytelling style that has created this perception of her being a whining annoyance? Because outside of those, it looked to me like Samus was her usual terse self.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
Monk Ed said:
Flamma Man said:
If you were to mute the game whenever Samus begins a soliloquy, would the result be a much better experience? In other words, is it really just the storytelling style that has created this perception of her being a whining annoyance? Because outside of those, it looked to me like Samus was her usual terse self.
I assume you mean the cut scenes?

Wintermute_

Sep 20, 2010
YES. they f***ing ruined her. So wut if she wasn't characterized? she had fantastic games that where just amazing. Now, she's just another emotionally crippled space marine with that "dark and gritty" past like every. thing. else.

Here's the deal. The cool thing about Samus was her lack of characterization. She could be whoever or whatever, and I think metroid was defiantly more about the world and story then samus. However, Now nintendo half-assed her characterization and she generic and just lame.

its not like their was really much character to ruin. but no one here can really say its "good" right? there was nothing redeeming about the character. just shallow and generally an un-needed addition to an otherwise really good series, the metroids and the metroid primes.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
I had to go play the prime trilogy again just to make sure we didn't enter a singularity where all female characters act like whiny bitches and need a guy to tell her what fucking weapon she can use.

Monk Ed

Feb 11, 2010
LordNue said:
But if you mute it then you'd miss out on actual dialogue and sounds. Basically if you could somehow edit out the pointless narrations that just tell you literally what is going on. She will go on and on telling you exactly what's going on in the flashback even as the characters are saying things and doing things, and then in the end it will almost always end with "ADAM WAS RIGHT I'M STUPID" (paraphrased of course). But you know, someone's about to die? She's about to die? Something dangerous about to go on? TIME FOR A FLASHBACK TO WHINE ABOUT HOW STUPID SHE IS AND HOW SHE CAN'T DO ANYTHING! The story is outright terrible. Sakamoto has no talent.
Editing out the soliloquies is what I meant, yeah.

That's my thesis: that Samus's actual personality as depicted within the action of the game is 99% A-OK and badass and all that, and it's really just the overwritten soliloquies that created the bad impression in people's minds. Her soliloquy lines are even spoken in a different tone from what she uses with people in-game; it's rather striking once you notice it.

If Samus's pains and self-doubt had been shown in indirect ways through better direction -- for example, showing a brief cut of her left hand tightening its grip on her cannon to show her emotional pain at being called an outsider in that one early scene -- I wager she'd have come off a lot better to the American audience.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
I certainly wasn't happy with the direction they took Samus...

Also, I'm fucking SICK of hearing Jennifer Hale's voice! D<

Grounogeos

Mar 20, 2009
They didn't ruin Samus in Other M.

True, their characterization wasn't the best. But really, how can you characterize Samus well when she's become a badass on par with (or better than) Master-fucking-Chief without saying a single word throughout the entire series? And personally, I like the way they characterized her, especially her still being upset over the Metroid Hatchling getting killed by Mother Brain.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
Wtf.... What the hell are 45% of escapists thinking...

Her responses are very human, and very normal. You would rather she had the emotional capacity of a rock? "Emotional mess"? what utter garbage. She is extraordinarily composed (not to mention speaks honestly and intelligently) considering she has never known her parents, watched her friends die, stares down certain death at every turn, and has the fate of galactic civilization squarely on her shoulders.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Marble Dragon said:
...I disagree. Very, very much.

Part of the argument is that Samus acts like a girl now. Boo fucking hoo - Samus is a girl, in case those boobs didn't say anything.
Aura Guardian said:
Also...I'll add that it was written by a woman. But more importantly, a feminist. This sounded nearly identical to the same person that wrote the 2/5 review about Samus' character instead of the game. And reading the 1,000+ comments about that article, about 90% of the comment posters have countered her.
Feminism? Bullshit. Saying that women need to act like men to earn any sort of respect is pretty counterproductive, if you ask me. What I get from the article is "I liked Samus better when she was practically a man with boobs." I don't buy it for a second.

Disclaimer: I've never actually played Other M. I may be wrong, and Miss Drake might be entirely correct.
I only played that card is because of Morgan Webb's video review. That and someone said that..."This is the site that gave Bayonetta a 4/5 and they complain about the sexism in Other M"