Poll: [Origin] How many of us have folded?

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I had EA Download Manager before, and it upgraded to Origin when it launched. Never had a problem with it. I've got twelve games on it, another on pre-order, and hopefully another after the weekend.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Didn't like it when Steam was forced on me with the original Portal, and I still think of Steam as an unstable piece of software that I run as little as possible. I imagine Origin is similar to Steam in its infancy, so I'll be avoiding it until I feel I need a game that requires it. So far, I haven't felt that need.

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
Zyst said:
Psycho-Toaster said:
I see no need to install it until BF3 is released, so I'll leave it until then. Maybe the day before so I have less hassle to go through on the day.
Dude? The beta! The beta is open for people who buy it now.
yes and you have to have a password to play Caspian. So tell me. What is the appeal ?

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
If I could get a restraining order on all these new 'alternates to steam' I would. I don't want them within 500metres of me - I have all the games I want on steam, I got the vast majority at either a fair price or on a brilliant deal off.
Origin? It's EA for gods sake! The only thing it's the origin of is corruption and stealing their victims customers wallet.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Father Tunde said:
lunncal said:
This isn't about which one is better, it's about how Origin (among other things) completely obliterates your privacy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112559-Internet-Explodes-Over-Origins-Invasion-of-Privacy] in a way that I actually thought was completely illegal. I mean I personally have a few issues with Steam too (though not nearly to the same degree), but I grudgingly use it anyway because of the great deals it has and Valve's solid reputation. Origin on the other hand I wouldn't use even if it was giving away games for free.
This isn't about how Origin 'obliterates your privacy', this thread is about whether or not we've downloaded Origin. And in the second half of your post, you defied what you said in the first half, by saying you use Steam, but wouldn't use Origin, even if they were giving away free games.
Ok, let me rephrase that. The reason one would (typically) choose to not download Origin is not that it is worse than Steam, it's that it completely obliterates your privacy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112559-Internet-Explodes-Over-Origins-Invasion-of-Privacy]. The person who I was responding to understood what I meant (as indicated by his reply), but there it is clarified anyway.

Also, I don't think the fact that I use Steam defies what I said at all. As I said, I do have a few issues with Steam, but at least it doesn't have the following in it's terms of service:

2. Consent to Collection and Use of Data.

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION. This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA's Privacy Policy located at www.ea.com. To the extent that anything in this section conflicts with the terms of EA's Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Madkipz said:
Zyst said:
Psycho-Toaster said:
I see no need to install it until BF3 is released, so I'll leave it until then. Maybe the day before so I have less hassle to go through on the day.
Dude? The beta! The beta is open for people who buy it now.
yes and you have to have a password to play Caspian. So tell me. What is the appeal ?
It only takes about 2 minutes to google the password for caspian servers. Getting into them is the hard part. Once you're in there Caspian is WELL worth the effort, it's a fantastic map when all is running well.

Right now the PW is: videokilledtheradiostar

=P

Farotsu

Dec 30, 2010
Already went through the crappy quality piece of software that Steam once was, and after smashing a couple of keyboards because Games For Windows Live and after having to deal with the Ubisoft's version of the crap... (Really, if you want to play Anno 1404 in multiplayer properly, you'll have to bypass the U-play with Hamachi or Tunggle to get it to work. EVEN ACCORDING TO THEIR OWN FORUMS!)

No I really don't want to deal with the EA's take of it, especially with the monitoring crap and seeing how EA is the evil itself...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Yeah, I have it installed, though it was called the 'EA Download Manager' when I installed it in spring this year (to play Crysis 2). Back then, I had no idea it would morph into its current form, and I don't approve of the change one bit; ever since the details on its EULA surfaced, I haven't activated it once.

A. Smith

Jan 10, 2011
I don't have it yet, but I figure I'm going to have to cave in for ME3 and possibly for BF3... I really want to play those games, and I don't think Origin is going to stop me.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
yes ofc i have :p or else the BF3 alpha / beta werent playable... and also i need it anyway for final BF3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic.. also not that afraid of it as many are

Exosus

Jun 24, 2008
Don't like steam, but if EA thinks I'm going to pay them for the privilege of giving away my info they're living in a dream world. They haven't made a game worth playing in like 10 years anyway.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Fun story - I installed it, played it...then I started hearing things like the intrusive system monitoring, and wavering court law though the EULA (luckily I'm a British Citizen, so I think we're covered as an EU Member State). After those things I refuse to install it and use it until they amend their terms of service at least.

Thamian

Sep 3, 2008
I have absolutely no intention to get it because of all the privacy stuff and the fact that EA always ultimately comes across as a pack of cock-stranglers.

That being said I've got a horrible feeling that EA might pull a dick move extrordinaire and make ME3 an origin exclusive. If they do... I'm gonna have to be doing some serious soulsearching on the question of whether to get it or not. My gut reaction is that I'll come down on the side of no, but by the same token... ME3...

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
If I ever have to for a game, I probably would, but right now most games that I would get from EA I get for the 360 anyway. Steam works well for everything so no reason to download multiples of simliar things at the moment.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I was strongly against it at first but in the end EA simply publishes to many games that I am not willing to give up (BF3 open beta says hi)
Edit for fear that my post was to short: the other reason that I gave in is because unlike seemingly everyone else steam has NO goodwill with me so I don't think origin is any worse, for example wile Origin is always collecting info on you steam does almost the same thing its just that steam is polite and ask if you want to send valve useless information that they don't need and cant do anything good with, and to top if off i'm apparently the only person who has had horrible experience with Steam support and the one time I used EA customer support they were polite and helpful, so at this point I actually trust EA more than Valve *raises flame shield*

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I won't install Origin unless EA makes a game I want to play. I prefer Steam and wish I could get any game I wanted to play on Steam, but I'll live.

I don't want Origin, D2D, MSLIVE, or any other number of "platforms" running on my computer. My only reason is that I like Steam, I'm comfortable with it and I see no benefit to switching.

Want to sell me your game? Make it really fucking compelling to not use Steam or offer it up on Steam.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
if EA didn't own Bioware, i wouldn't have installed it. However, it tends to work better with my campus internet than Steam does, so i can actually play all my Bioware games on a consistent basis.