Poll: [Origin] How many of us have folded?

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
Just installed origin to play the open beta of BF3, I can honestly say I hate this web browser thing replacement for ingame server browser. The irony of this is that the consoles are getting a server browser in their copies, but we're getting this thing?

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
I had the EA download manager installed before it was called origin, and when it changed to origin I said i'd only have it installed for BF3...so I haven't "folded", i've done exactly what I said i'd do.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Nope, not installed it yet, and never plan too. I don't like programs poking around inside my computer without my permission. If they had just given me the option to say yes or no to that feature during installation and still allow me to install it anyways, I might have reconsidered. As it stands now, I won't get it. I can live without the games it offers, or get them for console instead.

Byr0m

Jun 7, 2010
Meh, I got Burnout Paradise free with Origin/EADM and I preordered the Origin (Digital Deluxe) version of TOR yesterday instead of the normal one because of bonus shiz so, yeah, you could say it's not that I 'folded', it's more I just want to use it :S Just because we're all Escapist forum users, doesn't mean we're all automatically boycotting Origin.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
I almost went for it. I even downloaded it, against my better judgement. Then they went and followed Sony with that crazy "You can't sue us! NYAH, NYAH!" clause in their EULA and I just couldn't in good conscience claim to agree to that garbage. It would have been a lie, because I sure as fuck don't agree with it.

Besides, I don't want to get stuck with every goddamn publisher on the face of the earth forcing me to download some stupid software that doesn't want to close when I tell it too and requires it's own stupid account that's just another way my payment information could potentially be compromised. Which is probably where we're headed if this whole Origin thing works out. So I kinda hope it fails miserably anyway.

Teckdeth

Oct 4, 2010
lunncal said:
Teckdeth said:
I don't have a lot against Origin, but right now I have no reason to get it installed. I will if necessary, but I've got Steam for now, and that'll do.

I have little interest in this Origin vs Steam discussion. It seems so arbitrary, even when compared to other arbitrary gamer arguments like PC vs Console, or PS3 vs Xbox. I mean, they're both free right? It's not like you can only buy one and need to defend your choice, they're free! Just get both! XD
This isn't about which one is better, it's about how Origin (among other things) completely obliterates your privacy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112559-Internet-Explodes-Over-Origins-Invasion-of-Privacy] in a way that I actually thought was completely illegal. I mean I personally have a few issues with Steam too (though not nearly to the same degree), but I grudgingly use it anyway because of the great deals it has and Valve's solid reputation. Origin on the other hand I wouldn't use even if it was giving away games for free.
Oh yeah...I forgot about that, embarrassment. Good point my friend!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Psycho-Toaster said:
I see no need to install it until BF3 is released, so I'll leave it until then. Maybe the day before so I have less hassle to go through on the day.
Yes this is me.

I was hesitant about the privacy issues but then EA changed their EULA to say every thing they snoop will be kept in house, the same as Steam. I am OK with that.

The Class Action prohibition like the Sony ToS (and a lot more ToS in the future I imagine) doesn't apply to Australia so that never bothered me.

I haven't installed it yet because I pre-ordered BF3 through Gamersgate for $30 less than Origin (Australian over inflated prices), I miss out on the Beta but I saved $30.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ill probably just stop buying ea games all together since I really don't like what they are doing with the eula in origin and I'm betting all the new ea games on pc will require it.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010

And i never will. The fact they made the TOS so horribly bad not once, but twice, already turns me off from installing it.

Not to mention the massive lack of good games it will have.
Im going to stick to steam. The sales are great, the community is only "slightly" below average, and EA doesnt get to monitor my every action.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
I have it installed, but I don't consider myself to have 'folded'. That would indicate I was planning to resist it but was too weak to continue. I prefer to use Steam where possible because that's where my friends and most of my games are, and because I don't approve of companies ripping each other off and using exclusivity as a selling point. If they want to do Origin exclusives, fine, if I want the game I'll go along with that. It's no different to a ps3 or xbox exclusive, which while I don't like, is considered a viable marketing tactic. But when EA does it then The Man is being evil.

Dranae

Apr 19, 2011
Apparently the EA Download Manager I had installed a few years ago because of Spore turned into Origin.

So I guess my answer is yes, but I have no intention whatsoever of playing BF3.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
I generally don't click on links promising me penis enlargements and free iPad's, and I certainly won't install anything I know is spyware.

Just too bad I won't be able to play Battlefield, but I think I'll survive.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I've had Origin on my system for a bit now, largely from when I tried to play "The Sims3" after I bought it during a sale (which I never got working properly). I don't much care for it, but then again I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the complaints about it. I still primarily use STEAM since simply put Origin's prices are usually nothing special and all they carry are EA games that I've seen.

Really when I "got it" it was still the EA client, they just changed the name to Origin.

Truthfully if they are monitoring web usage to that extent I'm tempted to head over to Isohunt or The Pirate's Bay and download/torrent a bunch of random stuff and delete it just to see if Origin responds for lulz. I don't like the idea, but I can't see how they can possible track the web usage of all the people using it.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
I lost before it began. Got the free ME2 which required EA installer, didn't install 'til Origin came out.

mrF00bar

Mar 17, 2009
I refuse to ever install it, unless I win lots of money on the lottery and buy a PC just for Origin I will never install it. I might as well let them install cameras in my house.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
I have it though I wills seldom be using it. Its not because I have a hard on for steam or anything but because the client itself still needs a lot of work.
I pre ordered SWTOR from the origin store but my Credit card got stolen so I needed to change the information on Origin obviously.

Now with most clients like steam or Impulse you just go into account management and update your payment info, nice and easy.
Origin though? no such luck you have to get customer support to cancel the original pre order and then re order it again as you can not chance you CC info for a pre order off of origins.

You can edit card details on Origin but for pre orders it will always use the original card that you used to pre order on.
So yeah EA need to sort this kind of thing out if they hope to actually compete with the likes of Steam or gamersgate or impulse.

targren

May 13, 2009
Don't and never will. I only installed Steam for the freebies (TF2, Portal) that I'll only play once in awhile anyway, since I refuse to pay money for DRM'd digital downloads (but I'll drop way too much money on GOG) that I lose access to if I close/lose my account. Combine that with Origin's snooping, and the fact that EA is second only to SCEA in the scumbag department, and I'll be taking a pass on origin.