Poll: Paying for dates

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Start off with asking what your date wants to happen. Establish that you're more than happy to pay for the date (this is only the first date, mind you) or whether you want to go Dutch.

Simply finding out beforehand is better than choosing to do one and not finding until later that it was the wrong thing to do.

After the first date, I'm not paying for you unless I feel like it. I don't want to date somebody who isn't financially capable of being in a relationship.

Tazzy da Devil

Sep 9, 2011
No, men shouldn't pay for dates. The man should pay for his own food/movie tickets/whatever it is you're doing, likewise for the girl. I hate it when my dates pay for me. I had the stupidest fight with a date once because I wanted to pay for my own food, but he wouldn't let me.

However, I have no problem letting a date pay for me when I'm broke, as long as I pay for him next time.

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
Some call it a business transaction and some call it a dinner and a movie, but in the end someone is paying someone.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
For the first date, I think it would depend on who did the asking. If I asked a guy out, I'd pay for the meal or whatever, but if he asked me, then I'd assume he was going to pay. I'd still offer to pay my share, and that's usually what I insist upon, because I think it sets up a bad precedent that they'll pay for future dates too. I have more disposable income than my current boyfriend, so I mostly end up paying for things. Then again, he makes me food. I think it's a fair deal.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I'll spend as much on my date's meal as I spend on my own meal. Anything more and she's covering the excess.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I say that the person that ask for the date pays, since it is them that invited them out.
Going Dutch is also acceptable.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I try and pay for my meal. The guy I'm dating at the moment makes more money than me so he always insists on paying. I argue it though and he doesn't always win.

Please don't get the impression that women are gold diggers guys. We are just normal people like you.