Poll: Poll: BioWare or Bethesda?

Tr3mbl3Tr3mbl3

Mar 11, 2010
You have to give this one to BioWare. I mean absolutely no disrespect to Bethesda, as they were behind some of the greatest non-traditional role-playing games of all time (namely Fallout 3 and Oblivion), but BioWare's game catalogue is more varied and more influential, without a bad title in the bunch.

In terms of variety, Bioware has run the gamut of science fiction shooters (Mass Effect) to traditional point-and-click dungeon crawlers (Dragon Age, Baluder's Gate) to even brawler style 3D fighting epics (Jade Empire). BioWare was even behind the best Sonic game in 15 years, Dark Brotherhood.

And in terms of influence, BioWare has broken the mold on RPGs for decades to come. Mass Effect's conversation system and character importer are evidence enough of that, which,, in my opinion, could become staples of the role-playing experience.

Again, no disrespect to Bethesda. If anything you have to give Bethesda credit because, without them, there probably wouldnt be a BioWare.

TheMurray

Jan 3, 2010
Bioware games are by far the better (dialogue, narrative and all that stuff). But I always have more fun playing Bethesda games, so they win every time.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
As upset as I have been lately with Bioware, they still take the top position for me. Bethesda is right behind them, though.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Bioware. Kind of a shame though that you don't get to abuse loopholes and create magical items with which you kill things that are effectively unkillable. (looking at you, Mehrunes Dagon)

Scratch that, Black Isle is the best. Was the best, anyways. Obsidian... not so much. But they tend to have good storytelling at least.

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
If this were the year 2002 I'd say Bethesda. Baldur's Gate 2 is my favourite game of all time but Morrowind was such a massive leap.

Fallout 3 was amazing, but Oblivion was dogshit. These days I give it to Bioware for not fucking up even once. Just look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioware#Games Amazing lineup.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
bioware. they have made like 4 games on my top 5. thier story telling is amazing and thier characters are great.

stumpy107

Jan 12, 2008
Bethesda, I poured hundreds of hours into FO3 & Oblivion. I got ME on a steam sale, 15gb download, 15min play, 15 min uninstall.(not really) Although I really enjoyed ME2 but never got around to finishing it... I can't see what is so great about KOTOR, it's just not compelling, I don't feel the need to know what happens, I just was not interested...

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
CCountZero said:
theriddlen said:
Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. For me, these are the best RPG's ever made.
Strictly speaking, though, they're Action-RPGs, with greater simmilarities to Borderlands than "real RPGs".

That aside, they still rock. BioWare is still #1 on my list.

(And as a sidenote, the reason they were "de-RPG'd" is *readies FireRes gear* consoles *cough*)
RPG - Role Playing Game. You are playing the role of Commander Shepard, choosing what he should say and how he should act, choosing how his abilities, and how they evolve.
It is not connected to D&D or anything like that. Action-RPG? I haven't ever played an RPG without action. Swords, fireballs, bows, assault rifles - whats the difference? It's just another way to slaughter orcs/trolls/bandits/eclipse mercs.

These genre stereotypes are created by some elitists who still don't understand that world of games had moved on - and so did the genres.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Bethesda. BioWares games are pretty bland and boring to me... I barely suffered through beat Dragon Age while I've played (according to xfire) 189 hours of Fallout 3.

Ildecia

Nov 8, 2009
BioWare.

last bethesda game i played i got bored and tried to murder everyone. i proceded to get on the blacklist of EVERY NPC and died. always.

I understand the story in Mass Effect. I follow it. i'm not bored.

done

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Had you asked me a week ago, I would have gone with Bethesda. Now however, that I've gotten my on the absolute gem that is Mass Effect, I'm BioWare all the way.

xMelior

Dec 29, 2010
BioWare vs Bethesda. I personally think that BioWare is slightly better (Mass Effect).

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Assassin Xaero said:
Bethesda. BioWares games are pretty bland and boring to me... I barely suffered through beat Dragon Age while I've played (according to xfire) 189 hours of Fallout 3.
Dragon Age do sucks. But it's the Mass Effect that is the ultimate payload of awesome.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
josephmatthew10 said:
Hey, all you fellow RPG fans out there!

We all know that BioWare and Bethesda are two of the biggest RPG studios in the video game industry, but which of the two do you prefer? Feel free to comment even if you don't have a serious preference.
bethesda.

i'm currently judging them off the latest game of their's i've played, and mass effect 2 isn't high on the 'games i like list' whilst fallout new vegas is.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
theriddlen said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Dragon Age do sucks. But it's the Mass Effect that is the ultimate payload of awesome.
I actually bought Mass Effect in some Steam sale over a year ago. Tried to play it once, might try again...

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
rockyoumonkeys said:
Eh...both are great, but Bethesda loses points for having their name attached to the abomination known as Fallout New Vegas. I know they didn't develop it, but they still published it.

Bioware's games are great, but I think I still enjoyed getting lost in the worlds of Oblivion and Fallout 3 enough to even the scales.
To be fair, Fallout 3 was worse than New Vegas.

Far, far worse.

Whitenail

Sep 28, 2010
I'm going to have to vote Bethesda on this one, Bioware hasn't really done it for me since Jade Empire (admittedly the only game of theirs I've played since then is Mass Effect...I didn't like it whatsoever so i wasn't motivated to try the sequel or dragon age) and they're my go-to people for games you can really take a bite out of.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
No_Remainders said:
rockyoumonkeys said:
Eh...both are great, but Bethesda loses points for having their name attached to the abomination known as Fallout New Vegas. I know they didn't develop it, but they still published it.

Bioware's games are great, but I think I still enjoyed getting lost in the worlds of Oblivion and Fallout 3 enough to even the scales.
To be fair, Fallout 3 was worse than New Vegas.

Far, far worse.
I don't see what "to be fair" has to do with anything. I don't agree with you at all. Even had New Vegas actually functioned, I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much as Fallout 3.