Poll: Teen sues school over "wigger day"

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
Freedom of speech has a limit. This is at least very close to that limit.
I can see WHY they thought it was a good idea - "Three percent of the students are black" - they thought they could lampoon "gangsta" culture and no one would be offended. But seriously though, there's such a thing as taking it too far.
It's reinforcing a negative stereotype. That's what I'm trying to say.

goldendriger

Dec 21, 2010
Macrobstar said:
goldendriger said:
Im opposite. Its expression, how CAN they find it offensive?
Ok tell me, how do you go about pretending to be a black person?
Are you saying black people behave differently than everyone else?
Why are you singling out black people as some kind of weirdo?
God you're such a racist.

See how stupid that was? But that could be a legit arguement, but you meant it in a non-offensive way, same here. They didnt have a "How to piss off black kids" meeting, they did it to support the kids i doubt it was meant to be racist and offend people.

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
I can't even take this seriously.

How can she be offended? ITS TOO RETARDED TO BE OFFENSIVE!

Every single headmaster and teachers must have been stoned to come up with something like that. Heck if i was going at the school i would probably just play along just for the hilarity of it.

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
Arluza said:
the first problem is your link is to Fauwks 'News' (using news very lightly). Fauwks has made up stories to make minorities look weak and easily offended before, and often make it so the poor white man is being abused by the minorities. So until someone can provide a newspaper headline that isn't owned by Rupert Murdoch, i won't believe the story.

however, the article was kind enough to say what newspaper did write an article first. here is a link to it: http://www.startribune.com/local/126739938.html

Now, when you google "The Minneapolis Star Tribune wigger day" the first link is to Fauwks, the second to that link, and the third here, to this very thread. And i don't know about you other Americans from public schools, but typically homecoming takes place in late September to mid October, depending on the schedule of the football games. WHY then was this only NOW covered by the news? something like this in Ohio would get news for the notice that wiggers even exist. a student SUING a school? that would probably be a decision made far before an entire year had passed.

The whole article seems fishy at best to me.
Hey, I'm from Ohio and all we have here are wiggers and rednecks (half the time those two are combined. Seriously.) as far as the eye can see. I hate it.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Only in America... Land of the Whopper, Home of the Redneck.

Seriously, what the hell? Don't people know where the word "wigger" came from? Here's a hint: it's a combination of the word "White", and a word so offensive, I want to slap everyone who says it.

Every time I see a story like this, I have to check the date to make sure I'm not in the 1950s.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Seems to me that they're encouraging a stereotype. Win this one buddy!

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Good for her, they deserve the punishment for the stupidity of the whole thing, not least the offensiveness.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Call it ghetto day, problem solved. Mix some white trash in there as well if it makes you feel bad.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Imperator_DK said:
On the other hand, it's very hard to sympathize with someone trying to get 75,000 $ over it, a compensatory claim that's beyond ridiculous
oh, I was under the impression that the lawyer hired for the lawsuit was the one that set the compensation money, they weigh the odds according to books and other research and set the sum

but yeah, the guy suing is totally wrong for asking $75,000, i mean what is this? 2001?

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
While wigger day is pretty awful idea for a school, I hope this kid doesn't get 75,000 dollars.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
That idea was a powder keg waiting to explode. Seriously, what made that school think that was a good idea?

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
now not starting an argument, but plenty of people i know, including myself, make fun of our state/city/area/accent all the time, hell i purposely put on the hick accent and i'll steal my grandpas overall's sometimes just to walk around like a fun hick.
There is a difference when you do it by yourself/in a consensual setting and when whole school pretty much is encouraged to do it in your face. As i said, some may laugh at it, but quite frankly, the duty of the school is to do pretty much opposite and rather carter to those that may be in one way or another offended by such behaviour.

Between the movies/TV shows even games i think there is already enough of display of stereotypical black teenager/gangsta for schools not to try to expose it even further. Unless of course the goal is to get the black kids to act exactly like that so then "whities" can point with finger and say "told you so mate".

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
goldendriger said:
...? Uh so if I use the word Ngger I can get away with it by saying Im just expressing myself?

No. That's not how it works.

"wigger" is derogative term for white kids trying to act like the black gangster stereotype.

It helps no one and makes NO ONE look good.

Hell making it a special day and encouraging white students to act like that...

That is a new level of stupid.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
samaugsch said:
Macrobstar said:
goldendriger said:
At least half of the black people I hear about have about as many kids as a litter of kittens, wear clothing that would make it nearly impossible for them to get a decent part-time job, etc. Sure, there's quite a few that act like they have half a brain, but that applies to pretty much everybody. We're not any more judgemental than black people are. If you ask me, anyone who calls us whiteys (or however you spell that) racist is just upset because there aren't any negative stereotypes exclusive to us (besides white trash). :p
But that isn't acting black, that situation isn't exclusive to black people and not all black people are like that, its just a racist assumption

Javelk

Nov 18, 2009
Cut her some slack, She's probably the only black kid in Minnesota, she's probably never seen a white kid act like a hood rat. Besides, she graduated last year, isn't a little late to be offended?

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
goldendriger said:
Macrobstar said:
goldendriger said:
Are you saying black people behave differently than everyone else?
Why are you singling out black people as some kind of weirdo?
God you're such a racist.

See how stupid that was? But that could be a legit arguement, but you meant it in a non-offensive way, same here. They didnt have a "How to piss off black kids" meeting, they did it to support the kids i doubt it was meant to be racist and offend people.
No my point was, anyone trying to "act black" is racist, because any persona they pick when acting black won't represent the entirety of black people, its like saying "I'm going to act like a person" its to broad a term to be accurate. And while it may not have been intended to be hateful, it is still incredibly ignorant and stupid

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
What I find interesting upon reading the article is that the school board all but says "she's lying".

"The district denies the allegations that it has created a racially hostile environment and looks forward to meeting these allegations in court," district superintendent Karsten Anderson said in a written statement.
If Pruitt can prove that there was, in fact, a "wigger day" at her high school, then yes, she should win the case. But the fact that she's raising the issue now and instead of at the occurrence of the incident (2007-2009) raises some questions as to what Pruitt's motives are.

I'll be watching this one to see the evidence presented. If there was a "wigger day", then it was assuredly well-documented by the students and it should be a fairly open and shut case. If not... this will be a fun court battle.

SurrealFactory

Jun 17, 2011
I've always hated the saying "acting black." Seriously, attitudes and personalities of "stereotypically" black people are NOT inherent to black people. It's all about where you came from, who raised you, who you hung out with, who inspired you, etc. We all have influences.

A lot of people called Eminem a "Wigger," but in my mind that's ridiculous. Dude grew up poor as hell in a trailer in Detroit, and probably had a lot of black friends. There's nothing about the way he speaks or acts that's insincere.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know how she could find this offensive, from the sounds of it, it's a day devoted to white people acting like morons out of blatant ignorance and stupidity. If I were her, I'd just point and laugh.

On the other hand I could see how one could be opposed to having a day devoted to celebrating ignorance and stupidity.