Poll: Which Starter Pokemon did you choose?

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010
I tend to use Bulbisaur, but I just started a game of Leaf Green with Charmander for the first time. Let's see how it goes.

yohlazy

Jul 1, 2011
First off sorry about the misspellings but I havn't played any of these games in a long time and Honestly did not feel like looking them all up and as for other misspellings will my name is lazy after all:

In order of gen
Charmander (fire)
Cyindiquil (fire)
Torchick (fire) sometimes treeko (grass)
Torquos (grass)
probably the green one (grass) in the newiest gen sorry I don't know the name havent played it at all and have only seen what they are and what their evoled forms look like

I feel bad that I never picked a water type but none never appeled to me I would say squirtal was the closest though...

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Unfortunately I was stuck with the cheap cash-grab that was the Yellow version and had no choice: the shock-rat was forced upon me. Although, that is what I would've thought if the game didn't later give me ALL THREE of them, which I could show off to the other kids in school who only had a single starter.

But then someone found out about the Missingo-glitch (which was fixed in Pokémon Yellow) and I was the only one without an almighty army of level 100 Pocket Monsters pumped up with an infinite supply of Rare Candies...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
crudus said:
Arcanine actually gives Charizard a run for his money. Flareon beats both of them in attack and is found in both games. Ninetales isn't a bad substitute either.
Arcanine was a (or really, only THE in Red/Blue) strong contender, but Charizard just had a much better movepool. Great stats on Arcanine though. Ninetales had one (albeit, useful) role as a debuffer and little else.

Flareon...was only good on paper. In practice, most just died to Surf. Jolteon and Vaporeon had much better stat assignments of the EV Standard (all Eveelutions had the same stat blocks, but just rearranged differently) suited for their roles/elements.

Then there were was the problem of all fire moves being Special attacks when most fire pokemon prioritized physical attacks. The great move-stat split that fixed this wouldn't occur until Pearl/Diamond (I think, I haven't played in a long time).

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
creationis apostate said:
BrailleOperatic said:
Squirtle
Totodile
Treecko
Fuck That
Fuck That

Seriously, Fuck Gens IV and V. But seriously, I usually just pick the ones I think look the coolest.
You have never played them and believe that the first three were best because you played them as a kid. You haven't played the DS games have you, because gen 5>gen4,3,2,1
Actually, I have played them. And it is because I played them I know they suck. Generation V was quite possibly the worst generation yet with hideous character designs, worse pokemon art, a story that defeats itself, and generally abysmal construction. Generation IV wasn't as bad, but it was still a distinct slip, showing the first precursors of the artists running out of good ideas for what anything should look like.

But this is neither the time nor the place for this argument.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
Charmander: Mainly because it evolves into a special attacking pseudo-dragon.
Totodile: It looks like a mini-godzilla.
Torchic: 'Cause I don't like Mudkips. Also it's final form is a really good mixed attacker.
Turtwig: I decided to try out a grass type. It was awesome.
Oshawott: It evolves into a motherfucking samurai. What more could you want?

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Charmander. I am an advocate of Fire-type leading. Yes, you started with a game disadvantage, but that just made it more satisfying to finish off Brock and Misty.

So yeah. For every other gen. just swap Charmander with the requisite fire type from that game.

ntw3001

Sep 7, 2009
Bulbasaur, Totodile, Torchic, Piplup, Tepig. Not that I've played any of Gen 5. So I guess I don't lean toward any particular type, unless you count 'type' in the sense that 'obvious correct starter' is a type of Pokemon.

Really though, in the first generation at least, none of them are especially useful. Grass and fire types aren't really necessary, and water-types aren't exactly hard to come by. Venusaur would be great if he could learn a decent poison attack, but his second type is all downside. Charizard is boring as hell, really. Blastoise is cool, but unfortunately Poliwrath exists. In fact, Poliwrath kind of obviates the need for any other Pokemon to exist, ever. Plenty could beat it in a fight, but even in death Poliwrath is better.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
Pokemon Blue Squirtle

Pokemon Sliver Totodile

Pokemon Ruby Mudkip

Pokemon Plantium Piplup

Pokemon Black Oshawott.

For any pokemon game I have ever played, I always pick the Water starter, simply because they're usually the most balanced and have the abilty to defeat the other two starters, they can take out grass easily using Ice type attacks, provided they hit first of course.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Charamander. I had watched the anime long before I even played the games, and I had noticed that Charizard was plain fucking awesome. I liked Charizard so much I grinded my Charamander to level 36 so I could beat Misty with him (I did).

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
I loved Bulbasaur, but Squirtle at the end game was far more powerful than either of the other two. Seriously. Blastoise could take out high level pokemon that he was generally weak against and susceptible to.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Squirtle, because I had Pokémon Blue for Game Boy.
Also, the last evolution stage of him has two giant cannons, can't step to that! Stupid dragons =P

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Depends on what the first couple of gyms are. Important to get a head start on those, so you can catch other types for the next lots.

So, I took Bulbasaur for Red and Blue, to easily nuke the Rock and Water types of the first two. By the time I got to the third one, I had enough backup to topple it and beyond.

Gold and Silver seemed to counter this by having the first gym full of birds, and if I recall correctly, neither Fire, Water or Grass is Super Effective against Flying. But, the second gym being Bugs, I chose... Cyndaquil? Is that it? The Fire one.

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
Mother fucking Squirtle!

And from then on, every other starter pokemon for me has been water type.

Mittens The Kitten

Dec 19, 2010
creationis apostate said:
but by the end he's practically useless...
All of the starters are severely outlassed when other options become available. Charizard is replaced by Moltres and Blastoise by Starmie or Lapras or one of the 50million other, better water types. Venusaur is, of course no exception, as Exeggutor is a grass type that has the coveted psychic subtype (and we all know how OP psychic was in gen 1).

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
I didn't mean to put Bulbasaur. I chose Squirtle because I wanted a giant turtle that had canons on its back! Hell yeah!

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
Charmander. He's cute, and evolves into Charmeleon, who evolves into my favorite Pokemon, Charizard. Plus, I like Fire types a lot.