Poll: Who do YOU think has the most elite military unit in the world?

Silent observer

Jun 18, 2009
Shiftysnowdog said:
No JTF2 so im gunna go with seals. If any of you brits saw the training Seals go through not one of you would have voted SAS
But as has already been said, a lot of SEAL training is taken from the SAS training...

OT: Has to be SAS, I'm biased being a Brit but some of the stuff they have done is simply incredible, massive respect.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
I only chose the SAS because they're the only people I know. My neighbor is ex-SAS, he then went onto the armed response unit for the police, then to airport security and now he's retired.

Also, the Gurkhas are apparently some of the funniest guys you'll ever meet.

Trillovinum

Dec 15, 2010
Joseph Alexander said:
hmm i keep forgetting the name of the marine's special forces.
the army has the rangers.
the navy has the SEALs.
the air force... has the astronauts.... oh wait.
but i can't remember the elite corps within the marines.
marine force recon

spielburg

Jun 24, 2011
Why are the Dutch not an option? .... No wait don't answer that, it would just make me sad.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
The Israeli Golani unit is pretty badass. Not sure if they're THE best, but they're definitely up there.

MadMechanic

Nov 6, 2009
We'll never know until they fight each other. But...

I select British SAS. Although I think the SBS need a bit of acknowledgement too.
They are "The" elite military unit.
Hell, Delta Force's training regime is practically the SAS system, but then again Delta's founder Charles Beckwith served as an exchange student-officer with them in the 1960's. Delta Force's structure is similar to the British 22 Special Air Service Regiment, the unit which inspired Delta's creator.
Also they've been on many operations since their re-founding in 1946 (countless counter-insurgency missions, Korea, Suez, Oman, Malaya, Borneo, Northern Ireland, The Falklands, Iraq, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan, Iraq again... )

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Beeing both the country of ninjas, and leading ocuntry in wacky gadgetry, logic will lead to the conclusion, that japan must have some sort of secret modern über tech ninja special force.

Nothing i can think of can beat that.

AssassinFisH

Jun 12, 2011
Having served in the 14th, I can tell you that American Special forces recieve a lot of training from the SAS. One regiment you forgot to include are the Gurkha's, those guys are insane. When it comes down to it, its a case of experience, which in this case, the SAS has the most of. I don't recommend screwing with any Special forces ha ha.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
Jacco said:
6unn3r said:
Other...

Rainbow 6 anyone?

Yeah.
Rainbow is just a fictionalized international version of DEVGRU. Clancy even said that it was his inspiration.
Nowere does it say in the OP that the unit must really exist....But if we're going into that territory then my money is on these guys:

When the standard space marine just isnt quiet good enough.

"Each member of the chapter undergoes a gruelling and torturous selection process, and even once inducted, their harsh training regime is without equal. In battle, they move as an army of silver ghosts, surrounded by awe, and equipped to the teeth to deal with the worst foes that Chaos can raise to meet them. The Grey Knights hold a unique honour among the chapters of the Adeptus Astartes - in over ten thousand years of service, not a single one of their number has ever defected to Chaos."

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
Jacco said:
I going to put up a poll listing all of the SpecOps units I can think of so please don't be offended if yous in not on it.
well OP although the SASR (special Air Service Regiment {Australia and New Zealand}) is not in it I think you come close when it comes to you mentioning the British SAS.

But I still do believe that although the others are good. The SASR is better as they were first in to Iraq so there would be no American casualties. And there were NO Australian casualties. So rather than cannon fodder on the allies side. We win..

Until i remembered the SPETNAZ.
CaptainTrilby said:
But, the Spetnaz are the most brutal of the lot. These are the guys who have to swim through 100m of blood and barbed wire and go through almost fatal hand to hand training as part of their BASIC. Pretty brutal and badass methinks.
Casualties within basic training are common...
Effectiveness is FAR higher than any other Special operations force that I know of.

So as it was before edit that I remembered them...

I am going to say spetnaz

uttaku

Sep 20, 2010
The SAS, not only did they invent spec ops but they are still the very best in the world, seriously they help train half the other groups....

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
The Gurkhas

Never...EVER Fuck with a Gurkha...they will end you. [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/8405932/Afghanistan-Gurkha-honoured-for-lone-fight-against-Taliban.html]

As he ran towards the Taliban fighter he gave a shout of ?Marchu Talai? Nepalese for ?I?m going to kill you?.
This.

G96 Saber

Jun 5, 2011
1. SAS/SBS
2. Spetsnaz
3. Israel's Special Forces (they are have a specific name)

Oh, yeah, the US isn't on that list. Because they constantly make blunders, get killed and kill hostages.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
ivansnick said:
Until i remembered the SPETNAZ.
CaptainTrilby said:
But, the Spetnaz are the most brutal of the lot. These are the guys who have to swim through 100m of blood and barbed wire and go through almost fatal hand to hand training as part of their BASIC. Pretty brutal and badass methinks.
Casualties within basic training are common...
Effectiveness is FAR higher than any other Special operations force that I know of.

So as it was before edit that I remembered them...

I am going to say spetnaz
Add to that the fact that the Spetznaz probably number somewhere around 20-40,000 soldiers and do their survival training in siberia in the winter and you've got a special operations force that is downright scary.

But it also has to do with the old Soviet doctrine of Deep Operations. Apart from the massed mechanized and armoured units, the Deep Operations Doctrine put a big emphasis on special forces groups performing sabotage, disruption and delay operations deep behind enemy lines. In the event of the cold war going hot, Spetznaz were supposed to pretty much cripple the entire western european infrastructure before the Soviet invasion began.

On top of that is the fact that the Soviet Union got plenty of experience with guerilla operations during world war II and drew heavily on that experience when shaping their future Spetznaz forces.

I voted spetznaz, if only because the russians have an almost unhealthy fascination with making their special forces as ridiculously effective and brutal as possible.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
CFriis87 said:
Well Denmark has two of them, Frømændene and Jægerkorpset, which are basically our versions of the Navy SEALs and the SAS, except with viking blood!
you forgot the opklaringsbataljonen their whole job consists of going on suicide missions on short notice, because of this most of our casualties come from this division.

on a side note the frogmen dont even compare to the SEALs or the SAS. they have little or no recognizance training at all, and have never been used in proper military operations. ill grant you that their training is difficult and demanding, but they are hardly an elite force comparable with the even our own huntsman corps(jægerkorpset) which BTW are truly badass, and have trained with the SAS and the SEALs, as well as having been deployed in numerous engagements and spec ops.

OT i am going to give it to the SAS... because of modern warfare

Mace Tulio

Feb 5, 2011
I have to go with the French Foreign Legion, followed by the commandos of Israel (I can't remember the official name).

Jnat

Feb 1, 2010
They are so awesome noone knows of them. If I would post their name here I would die, they are that good.

Thomas Haynes

Aug 15, 2011
Honestly at this level of badass it comes down to normally irrelevant things. Think of American football (objectively -_- ) Are the Raiders as good as they are because they are the Raiders? Or are they as good as they are because they traded and scouted for some of the best players in the world? Special forces do the same, they take the finest specimens of human being, and then train them to the peak of their biological capabilities. I'm sure if you got 10 of each with comparable experience, gave them the same resources, prep time and an even playing field, on the whole they would all be about equal.

In the end their actual records are more driven by government policy, and resources such as tech and intelligence.

Of course doctrine differences take effect as well. While the Russian GRU spetznaz may have higher kill counts, that is because they are honed to be perfect killers. Equivalent to US Marines (who are technically a special force by the international definition) and have a serious reputation because they do not stop for their wounded. The American Green Berets are trained up to be perfect killers as well, but then that training takes second chair to advanced academic courses that allow them to infiltrate and turn the enemy civilians against their leaders. Strategically a different goal. And the SEALs who I believe are primarily trained to deal with SCUBA and shipborne CQB operations. Of course of late the US is kind of low on soldiers who can do CQB to the level of SEALs, and Green berets, so they have them cross train and use them interchangeably for super secret strike missions right there. And while there are probably many soldiers who could do just as well in a CQB strike mission, SPEC OPS guys already have top secret clearances and more training than you could possibly believe.