Poll: Why do you swear?

alittlepepper

Feb 14, 2010
I swear when I'm emotionally worked up in some way, but I try not to if I'm in a public area.
However, I believe past studies have shown that swearing actually works as a stress relief method.
Also, it helps increase a person's tolerance for pain, according to this study: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1910691,00.html

So hey, it's good for you?

Further reading! http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/10/17/swearing-study.html

Tirin

Oct 17, 2008
I swear for emphasis on what I'm saying, when I'm fucked up in some form, or when using terminology like "fucked up".

relish

Nov 27, 2009
Before i clicked on this thread I thought Because I fucking can. and then I clicked on it and I saw It. Happyface ^-^

Mutant_Fox

Jul 17, 2010
I swear because sometimes I feel like it, sometimes I want to put emphasis on something that I'm explaining or talking about, sometimes I get so pissed off that regardless if anyone is around me or not I will express my displeasure by swearing meaninglessly.
I admit it may not make me sound like an intelligent person when I swear often, which is why I'm trying to cut down on it a little bit, but I still can't help it at times.

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
Either my personal english vocabulary is lacking and I need to look up some good strong adjectives, or the general populace is more likely to understand curses for which I am too lazy to look up substitutes for, substitutes I may have to explain to certain people.

tl;dr It's fucking simple.

zhoominator

Jan 30, 2010
Depends on the company I have with me at the time. I find I adapt the language I use to blend in with those around me, I guess most people do, I just find myself doing it conciously.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Either because I am in great pain or because I want people to take me seriously. I don't swear often, and when I do, people know something's up.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Emphasis. Usually anger. Like a few nights ago I swore almost constantly for half an hour after finding that the thieving chav that I have to put up with stole £30 out of my wallet, which I'd hidden (though purposefully set up as a trap after some recent events. I just didn't think he'd have the nerve to steal 30 out of the 50 that was there...), while I was still in the house.

Words have power and these are powerful words. I don't say them in front of parents / other older relatives out of respect.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
yea, and guess who i got it from
My mother, and the joke is she is normally a nice woman, but i catch her cussing like a sailor fairly often