Poll: Why the hate for Dragonforce?

-Orgasmatron-

Nov 3, 2008
BLS said:
Axl Rose is a great singer and all but he would probably drive all the other members away and get all new ones so they wouldn't be the same band anymore, take 13 years off and bring out a new album with loads of hype that ends up awful... not that he hasn't done that already
LMAO well what I meant was the voice on that song could be abit more rough mcgruff, but your point was good to.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
I like them personally. They're good musicians and although they are fairly repetitive when it comes to what their songs are about I still like them none the less. However, I once had a mate of mine comment on them that he found that they just spend all their time showing off, which is a point about them.

Lycanfan

Sep 15, 2008
I honestly don't care for any music group that creates a 7 minute song and over 5 minutes of it nothing but mediocre power cords. I have no problem with long songs like that (I love Zepplin), but I just do not care for DF. It's totally fine if others have differing opinions to mine, but, as I said, I find DF to be tedious and annoying.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I like their stuff a lot. They're the third band (along with Blind Guardian and Rhapsody) that ultimately got me into metal.

I mean, what else can I say? I like driving tempo and lyrics about dragons, warriors, determination, fire, awesomeness, and whatnot. Disciples of Babylon, Soldiers of the Wasteland, Revolution Deathsquad, and Last Journey Home are some of my most favorite songs. In fact, there's only a handful of their songs that I'm not too thrilled with (Storming the Burning Fields, Starfire, half of the Sonic Firestorm album, and especially A Flame For Freedom). Truth be told, I don't really care if their music is sped up in studio (it sounds good like that), and I've never really thought of them as "repetitive." I can see where the accusation comes from, but there's plenty of difference between their songs to tell them apart (even with certain motifs that are repeated, like the similar beginnings of "Prepare for War and "Fury of the Storm").

This is also another one of those instances where I haven't seen any of the zealous fans of something I like. Maybe I just ignore them instinctively, since almost the only times I see the band's name mentioned, it's always people saying they suck. That's all well and good, I guess, but I agree with the OP; it gets kind of obnoxious.

CaptainCrunch said:
To the Dragonforce fans: please, just let it go already. Some of us don't like the band, some of us don't like the fans. It's incredibly easy to fix one of these problems. It starts with not fighting over this anymore. When all the pointless debate is over, pick up some Dream Theater and see if you like it as much.

To my fellow haters: We stand little chance of converting Dragonforce fans by such meaningless pandering. Leave them alone, and maybe they'll just drop the issue once and for all. Perhaps recommend transitional bands instead of building a wall to keep them out of the "good metal".
...it's like you made a conciliatory gesture with one hand and flipped me off with the other. I'm confused now.

sooperg

Feb 25, 2009
the way i see it is, maybe people feel less manly when someone pulls a "JUST TRY TO PULL THIS OE OFF!" move. so they feel the need to shoot them down to feel like less of a prick. but honestly, let's see one of you guys pull off that guitar in real life. any takers? i fucking thought not. no GH3 doesn't count!

Enigma Syndrome

Jun 5, 2008
sooperg said:
the way i see it is, maybe people feel less manly when someone pulls a "JUST TRY TO PULL THIS OE OFF!" move. so they feel the need to shoot them down to feel like less of a prick. but honestly, let's see one of you guys pull off that guitar in real life. any takers? i fucking thought not. no GH3 doesn't count!
It might be a dick move to pull, but:

Can I do better? no. Have I seen done better? Absolutely.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I like their music but they're not nearly as talented as everyone thinks they are. Most of their sound comes from effect pedals, post prod audio editing, and synth instruments, and everyone's like "OOOH THEY'RE THE FASTEST GUITARISTS EVER"
Michael Angelo Batio would like a word with you guitar queeros

May 22, 2009
I think they are a good band. They have some good songs, kinda repetitive, but better then the "swear every other second" songs. (is category real, i don't know... but i think yes.)

Enigma Syndrome

Jun 5, 2008
Refer to my comment on the page before this my Angelo loving friend, lol.

Besides, Paul Gilbert and his famous understudy Buckethead would also like in on that conference.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
You gotta love any band that's so completely bonkers and blatantly, gratuitously OTT with no shame. it's what metal is all about.

I dont own anything by em though I do respect what they do.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
i like Dragonforce, but not as much as Huey Lewis & the News. never heard of them? oh, but you've seen back to the future, so according to the transitive property, you fail completely as a functional human being. but i digest.

yes, the lead singer does have that opera rock voice, and some people today think it's g3y because their used to metal sounding like Slipknot, System of a down, Godsmack, Lamb of god, what not with the really deep and gritty angry tone. what i don't like about this is that HELLO? DIO? AXEL RUDI PELL? JOURNEY? (wait, what?) IRON MAIDEN? HELLOWEEN? DREAM THEATER? REMEMBER THESE GUYS? come on people, they rocked! where did the golden years go? it is up to Dragonforce to reclaim those lost years, i wish they would do a much better fucking job about it though.

there are two lead guitarists because their solos are too complex to do alone, Sam and Herman Lee (asian dude with seriously long hair, wtf?), and they both can "shred". yes, i guess they can, but they're fixated on the idea that they've 'found their sound'. they said that in an interview, and then i figured out why they were being repetitive half the time. but they've still made some good songs.

they have several good decent that stand out among the rest:

-Through The Fire and Flames - inhuman rampage (OMG, i can't even do hard but i pwn medium, wtf?!?! but still, this songs defines epic)
-Operation Ground and Pound - Inhuman Rampage (the video kicks ass, and they actually mix it up a little)
-Valley of the Damned - the valley of the damned (it's really old, so original, it's quite different per say)
-Fury of the storm - Sonic Firestorm (probably the best of the repetitive, so don't listen to the other repetitive ones)
-Strike of the Ninja - Ultra Beatdown (it's only 3 minutes, the keyboardist gets more spotlight, a bit more original, and IT'S AWESOME)
-Where Dragons Rule - ??????? (again, 5 minutes quite short, and OMG, MOST EPIC SONG EVER, TOPS THROUGH THE FIRE AND FLAMES a little)
-Dawn over a new world - Sonic Firestorm (for a speed metal band, they made a slow song with the piano and acoustic guitar and what not)
-Lost Souls In Endless Time (inhuman rampage special edition) - Lost Souls In Endless Time - Single ((man, that's a mouth full) anyway, this song stood out because the keyboardist got more air time again, but this was back when people were starting to say they were repetitive. you can also hear a bit of screamo if you listen closely)
- A Flame For Freedom - Ultra Beatdown (they really slowed the tempo, giving a different feeling of epic)

so yeah, these are only the unique ones, i don't like all of 'em. Through the fire and flames, strike of the ninja, and Where dragons rule are my personal favorite. each song is different, two of them aren't a flippin hour long, and they're all super epic.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
TheLoveRat said:
BonsaiK said:
They have their heads firmly lodged up their asses and are all the worse for it.
I hate them because they do't make good music. All they do is play really fast music, which quite frankly, I think sounds terrible. Plus being able to play live well is he sign of a good band for me, if they lack this then I have no interest in listening to them.
PS(I changed the quote but I don't know how you put the changes in bold, any help?)
Don't change my quote. If you've got something to say have the courage to say it without putting someone else's name on it.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
CaptainCrunch said:
To the Dragonforce fans: please, just let it go already. Some of us don't like the band, some of us don't like the fans. It's incredibly easy to fix one of these problems. It starts with not fighting over this anymore. When all the pointless debate is over, pick up some Dream Theater and see if you like it as much.

To my fellow haters: We stand little chance of converting Dragonforce fans by such meaningless pandering. Leave them alone, and maybe they'll just drop the issue once and for all. Perhaps recommend transitional bands instead of building a wall to keep them out of the "good metal".
...it's like you made a conciliatory gesture with one hand and flipped me off with the other. I'm confused now.
That is why Dragonforce opinion threads fail, as do all topics with similarly "black and white" sided debate. If you would please read again, I offered two shades of gray - one will always appear darker to you than the other. The point to be made was about constructive proactivity regarding "why people hate Dragonforce so much." Such a point cannot be made without the inclusion of personal opinion, and my personal opinion is one of dislike, not unabashed hate. Sorry if you don't share it with me.

All are welcome to opinion, including those that disagree with mine. I offer tolerance to both sides in the form of "listen to more music, and decide if you really like what you like." If you like Dragonforce, that's fine - but there is a vast wealth of metal out there that might just change your mind. If you don't like Dragonforce, listen to something you do like and learn that bitching won't make it go away.

Everyone wins, unless you are so attached to your opinion that you are incapable of recognizing its ability to change at a moment's notice. Maybe tomorrow, Dragonforce will release a surprise record that I wind up listening to for years to come. I wait with hope for such a Sonic Firestorm. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIlUfoY10Vw]

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
I like them, although I have heard a lot of die-hard fans complain about how newer fans only like "Through The Fire And Flames" and that's it.

And I don't know why, but I get bashed a lot by some fans because I like the song "Starfire" more than some of their others.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
NeutralDrow said:
CaptainCrunch said:

That is why Dragonforce opinion threads fail, as do all topics with similarly "black and white" sided debate. If you would please read again, I offered two shades of gray - one will always appear darker to you than the other. The point to be made was about constructive proactivity regarding "why people hate Dragonforce so much." Such a point cannot be made without the inclusion of personal opinion, and my personal opinion is one of dislike, not unabashed hate. Sorry if you don't share it with me.
My mistake, then. Your post seemed to ring more of "Dragonforce fans need to leave us alone, and haters need to let Dragonforce fans listen to their crappy music in peace until we convince them to listen to something else," so I assumed from that that your opinion was of unabashed hate (delivered via extremely backhanded conciliation).

All are welcome to opinion, including those that disagree with mine. I offer tolerance to both sides in the form of "listen to more music, and decide if you really like what you like." If you like Dragonforce, that's fine - but there is a vast wealth of metal out there that might just change your mind. If you don't like Dragonforce, listen to something you do like and learn that bitching won't make it go away.
I guess I can understand that...actually, no, I don't. I understand and agree with preaching tolerance of the tastes of others, but the idea of not enjoying something any longer simply because there's something better out there is something I have trouble agreeing with. Tastes can change over time with exposure, of course, but your argument seems the equivalent of arguing that because I enjoy Soul Calibur most of Namco games, I should stop playing Tekken.

I suspect you're trying to argue more that if I played Wii Tennis I'd stop liking Pong, but either way it's just trading insulting someone else's taste for simple condescending to them (which is a step up from most internet arguments, granted, but still).

Everyone wins, unless you are so attached to your opinion that you are incapable of recognizing its ability to change at a moment's notice. Maybe tomorrow, Dragonforce will release a surprise record that I wind up listening to for years to come. I wait with hope for such a Sonic Firestorm. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIlUfoY10Vw]
Frankly, if Ultra Beatdown isn't that surprise record, it's probably not going to come. It's easily their best album, I'd say.

As for the other things...I just don't like Black Metal vocals, I guess. The music in the Enslaved and Dragonlord songs were all right, and I can tolerate some viking metal stuff (especially Ensiferum and Finntroll), but I still prefer Tomi Putaansuu's or Hansi Kürsch's (occasional) growl over those.

Griever18 said:
I like them, although I have heard a lot of die-hard fans complain about how newer fans only like "Through The Fire And Flames" and that's it.

And I don't know why, but I get bashed a lot by some fans because I like the song "Starfire" more than some of their others.
It's a pretty stupid complaint in two ways. Partly because, TTFAF is not only one of their best songs, it's also the one with the most exposure, so naturally a lot of fans are going to know more about that (die-hard fans' fault). However, I have a lot of trouble imagining someone who could possibly like only that song out of Dragonforce's entire discography through anything but refusal to listen to anything else (or lack of exposure). I mean, hell, even if such a person didn't like their earlier stuff, I don't doubt they'd get some enjoyment out of "Revolution Deathsquad" or "Strike of the Ninja," at least (new fans' fault).

As for "Starfire"...I have to admit, it's not one of my favorites (I like "Evening Star" and "Trail of Broken Hearts" most out of their slower songs), but bashing for that would be stupid.

Mockingjay

Mar 3, 2009
I don't hate them, it's just not my thing. I like a balence between vocals and instrumentals and Dragonforce for me is too aggressive in both departments.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I don't mind them, but they are very, very repetitive.

Oh, and they were shit live, terribly out of time and completely and utterly drunk, so, most of the time, Li missed the strings, and, on one occasion, missed the guitar completely.

In hindsight, I guess that's kind of the point of being a rockstar, but its just that other bands I've seen live managed to juggle being professional and drinking to excess.