Poll: Witcher or Oblivion?

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Oblivion for me. I prefer the way that elves are treated in that game.

..never liked how elves were treated in The Witcher...I felt so sorry for them.
Not sure if serious...

(But for the record, even if I think that the elves are as banal/boring as everything else in Oblivion, they're awesome in Morrowind. Having a bunch of Dunmer calling you "outlander" or worse really adds to the atmosphere of that game.)
I am serious. I'd rather have the Elves be more integrated into society, and at the least, accepted or slightly dominant culturally...than hunted and oppressed like in The Witcher.
Why? I guess I'm confused as to exactly why you decide whether you like a game or not based on how fictional people treat other fictional people.
*shrug* I dunno because I've always liked elves and elven culture. I know they aren't real, but that doesn't mean, I have to like stories where their treated like crap. o_O

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
Well I've not played the original Witcher, but I've finished Assassins of Kings and I have to say I prefer it to Oblivion. Both games are very different though and Oblivion obviously has more to do and many more options, I just preferred the focus and cohesiveness of the Witcher and the way the story evolved with your actions and side quests. In Oblivion I did the bits I found interesting and then got bored - the main plot lost relevance and I never finished it. If you want to lose yourself in a world for 200 hours though, only one of those games will suffice (and it isn't the Witcher.)

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:

Not sure if serious...

(But for the record, even if I think that the elves are as banal/boring as everything else in Oblivion, they're awesome in Morrowind. Having a bunch of Dunmer calling you "outlander" or worse really adds to the atmosphere of that game.)
I am serious. I'd rather have the Elves be more integrated into society, and at the least, accepted or slightly dominant culturally...than hunted and oppressed like in The Witcher.
Why? I guess I'm confused as to exactly why you decide whether you like a game or not based on how fictional people treat other fictional people.
*shrug* I dunno because I've always liked elves and elven culture. I know they aren't real, but that doesn't mean, I have to like stories where their treated like crap. o_O
Well, the fact that you're uncomfortable with how elves are treated in the world of the Witcher is intentional - it's supposed to make you feel uncomfortable. Do you have the same issue with Dragon Age?

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:

Not sure if serious...

Well, the fact that you're uncomfortable with how elves are treated in the world of the Witcher is intentional - it's supposed to make you feel uncomfortable. Do you have the same issue with Dragon Age?
I have a love/hate with Dragon Age due to my soft spot for Bioware. Dragon age didn't seem as bad as the Witcher, really in terms of there being at least a glimmer of hope, for the elves in that world, and the Dalish kicked ass.

However may I ask you. Why does it bug you so much that the treatment of elves bothers me in a game?

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:

Not sure if serious...

I have a love/hate with Dragon Age due to my soft spot for Bioware. Dragon age didn't seem as bad as the Witcher, really in terms of there being at least a glimmer of hope, for the elves in that world, and the Dalish kicked ass.

However may I ask you. Why does it bug you so much that the treatment of elves bothers me in a game?
Because it doesn't make sense, TBH. I get that you might not like a game that features ethnic strife, but I don't get why a selling point for you is that a game gives a specific fictional race of people a specific social place in its fictional world.

nomzy

Jan 29, 2010
Honestly, I could never get into either Witcher games, I played the prologue and about half way into the first chapter for each and just could not like it, I tried to I really did. The game was just too tedious for me, I dislike the combat (since while playing it I always compare it to say Fable: The Lost chapters or God of War or something) and I hate the camera.
Oblivion on the other hand I've finished twice, been awhile now so I can't remember what I dislike about the game, but my gripes with the game weren't to the same degree as The Witcher games.
To each his own I suppose.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Oblivion was quite fun at first, but then I started noticing the rather mediocre voiceovers, repeating textures, dead towns, absolutely unconvincing landscapes, etc. Pretty much killed the immersion for me.

I wouldn't say Witcher is the pinnacle of the genre but it was very fun to play, I enjoyed it considerably more than Oblivion. The story, although not comparable to the original books, was alright, the gameplay was quite interesting. I guess I was overall tainted by the books; if I haven't read them before I'd probably find the game much better.
The only thing that felt out of place were those horrid sex cards.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
I'm gonna go with the Witcher, with a "but" at the end. Oblivion can be fun for sure, but the awful story, writing, and characters bring it down a lot because those are factors I really care about.

But I actually thought the first Witcher was only a little above average, whereas The Witcher 2 is probably my favorite game to come out in the last couple years. Some of the best, most mature writing I've seen in a game with interesting characters and meaningful choices. The Witcher 2 makes Dragon Age look like it was written by teenage fan fiction writers holding checklists for everything they had to include. And I liked Dragon Age.

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Alucard788 said:

Not sure if serious...

Because it doesn't make sense, TBH. I get that you might not like a game that features ethnic strife, but I don't get why a selling point for you is that a game gives a specific fictional race of people a specific social place in its fictional world.
I dunno what to say. I've just always had that kind of preference.

Really I don't know what else I can say. That's my opinion on why I like...what I like.

May seem silly to you but...I dunno...That's just me. o_O

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Incomer said:
If you actually bothered to read (or listen to) some of those longer dialogues you might find out that there are no "GOOD" characters in the witcher. Everybody wants something...
You needed to read to work that out? Huh. I thought it was fairly obvious due to the fact that every single character acted like the biggest dick possible just for the sake of it.

The Big Boss said:
Are you serious? Oblivion had an epic opening, i'll give it that. But after that it's just meaningless sidequest galore in a huge open sandbox world with no real story driving it forward at all.
Ehm, except for the main questline which if you so wished could be done without playing any other content. Most of that could even be applied to the witcher anyway, ie: The Witcher had an average opening, i'll give it that. But after that it's just meaningless sidequest galore in an repetitively linear world.
I'll admit the Witcher was more story driven, but without compelling characters driving that story it just comes off as meaningless and a bit shit.

Kahunaburger said:
Choice and consequences, basically. You're trying to track this guy down, but the theme of the game is choosing the lesser evil, and it does a pretty good job of exploring that. You have the standard "choose the lesser evil" in regards to stuff like witch hunts and picking sides in a conflict, but it's also explored in the context of stuff like parenting.

It's entirely possible you played the bad translation, too. Several English versions (I.E., not the "expanded edition") cut out about 30% of the dialogue, and it shows.
Got 'the enhanced' edition (I have no idea what was enhanced about it).

Choosing the lesser of two evils could work quite well if the game made me care in the slightest about the situation, but from what I played the choices made had nothing whatsoever to do with the main quest and were simply down to, pick wanker A or wanker B, neither are interesting or have personalities beyond the 2d so who gives a damn.

Also spending 6 hours in a small town performing fetch and carry quests in a single player RPG is not fun in slightest.

Edit: Bloody hell I'd even forgotten the wonderful combat system..

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
flaming_squirrel said:
Kahunaburger said:
Choice and consequences, basically. You're trying to track this guy down, but the theme of the game is choosing the lesser evil, and it does a pretty good job of exploring that. You have the standard "choose the lesser evil" in regards to stuff like witch hunts and picking sides in a conflict, but it's also explored in the context of stuff like parenting.

It's entirely possible you played the bad translation, too. Several English versions (I.E., not the "expanded edition") cut out about 30% of the dialogue, and it shows.
Got 'the enhanced' edition (I have no idea what was enhanced about it).

Choosing the lesser of two evils could work quite well if the game made me care in the slightest about the situation, but from what I played the choices made had nothing whatsoever to do with the main quest and were simply down to, pick wanker A or wanker B, neither are interesting or have personalities beyond the 2d so who gives a damn.

Also spending 6 hours in a small town performing fetch and carry quests in a single player RPG is not fun in slightest.
You prob didn't get very far then, since your previous actions can and do impact the main quest in that game.

Herbsk

May 31, 2011
I also prefer the witcher more - because of its engaging story.

With that being said....I love me some Oblivion - modding it is a lot of fun and provides hours of entertainment

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
You prob didn't get very far then, since your previous actions can and do impact the main quest in that game.
I got to the end of chapter 2, which considering the 10 hours or whatever that it takes to get even that far I'd consider it enough for the main quest to have got started.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
flaming_squirrel said:
Kahunaburger said:
I got to the end of chapter 2, which considering the 10 hours or whatever that it takes to get even that far I'd consider it enough for the main quest to have got started.
Uh... the main quest had started by then. And some C&C definitely had occurred by that point, so maybe you weren't paying attention?

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Not that it's saying much, but Oblivion is definitely less boring. Go with that one. My judgment may be a little untrustworthy, though, since I'm not a fan of either series.
nomzy said:
Honestly, I could never get into either Witcher games, I played the prologue and about half way into the first chapter for each and just could not like it, I tried to I really did. The game was just too tedious for me, I dislike the combat (since while playing it I always compare it to say Fable: The Lost chapters or God of War or something) and I hate the camera.
Oblivion on the other hand I've finished twice, been awhile now so I can't remember what I dislike about the game, but my gripes with the game weren't to the same degree as The Witcher games.
To each his own I suppose.
That too. Reading the press (and comments!) surrounding that game makes me feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. People bill it as a complex, 'core' RPG, when it really is about as deep and challenging as Fable. Is this some kind of worldwide practical joke? Did everyone have a stroke at the same time?

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Oblivion. And I don't like Oblivion.

The Witcher as a franchise rubs me the wrong way on so many levels.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
flaming_squirrel said:
ImprovizoR said:
I had to say I liked The Witcher more. I always choose games with a good story.
I really want to understand this as I'm clearly insane for just not 'getting' The Witcher.

In what way is the plot good?
From what I can remember it was "evil dudes killed your friends now spend 70 hours doing completely unrelated tasks with thoroughly unlikeable characters which feels depressingly similar to grinding in WoW".
Well that's the beauty of it.

Seriously, The Witcher had choices, it had interesting characters and an interesting setting. Everything about Oblivion was as generic as it gets in a fantasy video game. I still liked it, but I didn't have to mod The Witcher to actually have fun.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Alucard788 said:
I dunno what to say. I've just always had that kind of preference.

Really I don't know what else I can say. That's my opinion on why I like...what I like.

May seem silly to you but...I dunno...That's just me. o_O
Just for the record, your preference sounds ridiculous to me too. Not in a "you're an idiot" way, just in a "how unusual, I've never heard that before" way.

Just out of curiosity (again, I'm not trying to antagonize you, I've just never seen this perspective before), will you not play other games that depict some sort of racism? And if you do, is it because the discriminatees aren't as interesting as elves?

I just can't wrap my head around being so into an entirely fictional race as to avoid a game that depicts them as a persecuted minority. Maybe you just relate really well to the general elven culture that seeing them wronged is disheartening? Though it seems to me like that'd make the game feel even more powerful, especially because you can choose to ally with them, in both games.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
mireko said:
That too. Reading the press (and comments!) surrounding that game makes me feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. People bill it as a complex, 'core' RPG, when it really is about as deep and challenging as Fable. Is this some kind of worldwide practical joke? Did everyone have a stroke at the same time?
Well, keep in mind that it came out major WPRG contemporaries were stuff like Fable 2, Oblivion, Mass Effect, and so on. So a game that actually requires you to plan ahead at all, has choices and consequences at all (or at least C&C that aren't killed by a morality mechanic), and actually attempts to (mostly successfully) tell a story that's more complex than good vs. evil was inevitably going to pick up a cult following. It's certainly not lol teh best rpg evar!!1!, but it's got moments of sheer brilliance and is a better RPG than lots of more polished efforts by major developers.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I think The Witcher and TESIV: Oblivion are both good but in different ways. In my opinion the story in The Witcher is better than the story in Oblivion. I like the open world in Oblivion much more than the semi-linear world in The Witcher. I have not played The Witcher 2 yet but I plan on doing so when I get my new gaming computer.