Poll: Would you join the Space Marines?

Burntpopcarn

May 29, 2011
Nah. i'd rather be imperial guard, they're my favorite army plus they won't inject any stuff into me or put cybernetics on me.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
agentorange98 said:
So I really don't know anything about Warhammer 40K although it seems hella bad ass but with all the trailers for the game I was wondering if Space Marines were real would you join?
You don't join the Space Marines. First, you have to be born on a planet that they recruit from, like Fenris. Then, your fighting ability has to garner the eye of them, for example, killing 30 men and then dying. If that impressed them enough, they may bring you back to life and start training you. The training has a 80% death rate. You also have to have the right genes to accept the genetic upgrades. After that, you'll have to go through some more challenges, like being put 100 miles away from base camp, and have to walk back. Naked. In -40 celsius. Within three days.
If you do all that, you are officially a new recruit! Now, survive a few decades as a scout. If you do that, you will become a Space Marine.

Out of the population of Earth, they may recruit up to about 50 Space Marines each 50 years. THAT'S how hard they are.

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
No thanks. I would rather join the Adeptus Mechanicus.

I mean, I get to go to Mars, and replace all this useless flesh with machinery! What could be better?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Starke said:
Honestly, I'd much rather keep my genitals than join the Astartes, thanks.
Fairly sure you get to keep your genitals... though that raises the question of, since you become a 3m tall muscle-bound fucker, does your dick get an upgrade? Either way, I don't think associated activities are going to be... well, you get the idea.

Aris Khandr said:
Going to go with no. Adepta Sororitas, on the other hand, sure. I'm at least properly 'equipped' for that one.
That and the fact that their induction process isn't so experimentally genocidal...

OT: Based on the above... no, clearly.

Anyway, no love for Eldar? Tall, lithe, hard hitting, flexible, nimble, I'll be a Troupe Master, thank you, and the company's not bad (wouldn't mind being a Death Jester, either, I've got the sense of humour for it).

Slim-Shot

Aug 9, 2009
Oh God Emperor YES! I would bring the righteous fury of the Emperor unto all who would oppose me! Death to the Heretic! Show the Xenos no mercy! Destroy the traitor!

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I would probably make a good librarian, but I would also probably defect to Tzeentch.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Could I be an Astartes? [HEADING=1]NO![/HEADING]
Would I let the Adeptus Mechanicus reform my body into a superhuman form able to stand toe-to-toe with one for a short amount of time?
[HEADING=1]Hells yes![/HEADING]
This is based on the book Prospero Burns.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
I love how everyone who replies, types out more or less little essays containing the lore! Awesome community is awesome!

OT: By the time I will grow up to know what I'm doing I'd be a) dead or b) already a Space Marine, so I guess democracy wasn't the strong point of Imperium of Man.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Pretty sure space marines don't lose their dicks, its the mental indoctrination that takes away their sex drive completely, the attack on terra by Horus mentions that those marines who had turned to slaanesh did try to force themselves on the women of earth but they just couldn't.

That said no I wouldn't I am likely not going to match the criteria for recruitment plus you basically become a brain washed killing machine doomed to a fight until you are dead. Even getting crippled is not a way out for sure as you could end up as a dreadnaught.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Well being equipped with massive guns and armour would be pretty cool, but being brainwashed and doped up on steroids and forced to serve the Emperor for the rest of your days (and possibly beyond, if you're a dreadnought), would kind of suck. I guess being in the Inquisition would be OK, because at least then you get free will, but on the other hand everyone in the Imperium would hate you.

Now becoming a Grey Knight Paladin, I would do that no matter the conditions.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Everyone should join a fanatical army of xenophobic religious zealots at least once in their life.

I'd prefer the Space Wolves, they have all the booze.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
No I wouldn't. All the horrible procedures and brain washing aside, I am a coward and would run way from a tough looking thug, let alone millions upon millions of Orks, Chaos and other Xenos.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
I'll stick with being a normal space marine, like a marine in Mass Effect or Halo. A Spartan, maybe. Though high enough in rank I avert the entire "red shirt" syndrome, of course.

..But fuck, I just read the requirements and the process for becoming a Space Marine, and.. I'd rather get obliterated by a nuke point blank range, thank you.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
would i trade the life i have now for that of a space marine? fuck no. If i lived in the 41st millieum and was offered the chance to become a space marine would i take it? fuck yes.

not_the_dm

Aug 5, 2009
No, bit too... invasive for my taste. I'd take a leaf out of Commisar Cain's book. Join a Guard artillery regiment.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
For all the cries of "NO! You get brainwashed and indoctrinated!" ... welcome to any learning institute anywhere.

If you've actually read the fluff/played the games you'd realise that individual marines have very different (and at times conflicting) personalities.