Poll: YuGiOh or Magic:The Gathering, which is better?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Magic. Then you can ya know, find people to play with.
Yu-Gi-Oh is easier, but what good is that if you can only play against yourself?

shreedder

May 19, 2009
I prefer magic, becuase of the depth. Playing in the old extended format in a casual setting you could easily see hundreds of different decks.
I found in yugioh their are good cards and bad cards, and that line will be pretty solid. In magic you can take a card that seems terrible at first glance and build a deck around it to make it amazing. The mechanics just flow in such an interesting way.

JJMUG

Jan 23, 2010
Gametek said:
Meeelvin said:
Gametek said:
] And pot avarice [how was called the one that let you draw two card?], raijeki, and bla bla, bla. Fun fact is that most of this card have no reason to be banned.
Ehm are u ??? Have you got ANY idea about the word balance?!?!!?!? These cards did a very powerful job with low costs and they were fine on start but with the new cards they started to become horrible overpowered combinations...

For examply heavy storm just got banned in yugioh online(banlist here [http://www.yugioh-online.net/v3/pages/fobi]) because traps/spells are less effective and the game is focused more on monster effects and swarming through special summoning. And in return we got back dark hole which instead destroys all monsters for no cost that is quite helpful against swarming which happens often.

If you just play dumb single player games and cant feel awesome without using those overpowered cards because you cant win dont blame the game

If you have no idea about a game's metagame then stfu and save us time from your horrible opinion that is wrong 100%
Well, that opinion is born from the fact thaat I actually dislike the last ygo pack. They feel downgrade, you know. I was spoiled by playing incredibly strong monster incredibly fast. This was for me the attractiveness of the game. When they banned most card, and substitute them with the new series... like you say, more centered on fusion... I disliked it. Mind it, my actual deck on mtg is a stasis one, but I dislike the fact that they took away from me part of option to build a deck. That, the fact that the anime is more shitty with every season, and the actual attack to my intelligence that sincro monster was. Quited ygo whit that expansion.

On second note, what is your problem with playing "dumb overpowered card"? If I like to play powerhouse that beat the crap out of anything, what is the problem? That, to, is a playstyle.

Ps: what is swarming on ygo? On Mtg is playing an horde of weak creature to outnumber any monster my opponent can have, on ygo?

Edit: And I may answer even for
No-one Special said:
Go with Magic. It's a lot more complicated
It's because everyone that play yugiho think at the anime. That, especially on the last season, is simply an attempt to masochism. It's blandly horrible. Especially at advertise a game that ask you a little of skill.

But in anycase, Any expansion pack of magic is based on novel. That change every years. This mean that the game mechanic, the monster type, the graphic and aesthetic of the monster itself change after any set base. Every monster feel deep, even the most weak and stupid can be used in a good deck. He don't even need effect, I will give them to him via spell.
On the paper it seem something that even ygo do, but not in the same way. Monster and their effect are everytime important. And most gamer remember a game to easy with no lore background to the monster. Awful for immersion.

Bad as you are offending me, and Meeelvin to, do you have actually played magic? Any color except green? It's good if you played even only an espansion pack or a deck. Does that deck feel less compless than ygo? I've played a blu deck that played around the idea of divination, making you decide what you would have draw next [not actually all that powerful as it sound, but still...]. Can you provide the example of a ygo deck whose core game play idea blown out your mind? Like one where you summon monster like they was actual magic card [play their effect/block an attack/attack then discard]?

And the card image feel more serious, if you don't like manga draw style.
Magic was awarded by Mensa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering#Awards
Mensa.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
HumpinHop said:
OutrageousEmu said:
HumpinHop said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Magic is way slower paced and has less elements to it. It really comes down to two factors - how tactically you want to think, and how often you want to change your cards. YuGiOh's metagame changes radically with every new booster release.
Slow paced? How fast is Yugioh then? Standard goblin, cawblade, or infinite damage decks can win by turn four. What elements are there in Yugioh that aren't in MTG? (not as angry as this seems, more out of curiosity).
Dude, I regularly win by turn three, more than a few times by turn two. In fact, there are 13 ways to win on the first turn, without your opponent being able to do anything.

As for the elements not in Magic, combining monsters, sacrifice, removal from play, traps, and so on. All of these are elements that massively add to the tactical nature of the game.
Yeesh, never remembered it being that fast (then again it was half a decade ago). You can only win that fast in expensive MTG Vintage decks, do you think Yugioh is still balanced if you can win so quickly with a competitive deck?

I had forgotten about combining monsters, but in MTG you can do similar things through exile, enchantments, cards that let you fetch for mana/big creatures, and there's a great deal of synergy in most decks. Most Black decks nowadays you can pick cards from their hand and discard them, or just straight kill half of their deck. I couldn't say if one has more tactics than the other but I think it's fair to say they're more or less equal.
It also doensn't sound like it's a very fun game to be on the other side of! "Hey let's play Magic!" *45 seconds later* "Uh, well thanks for the butt stompin'...."

I can't actually pick my favorite TCG because it didn't make it to your poll. It's a game that was designed specifically to evolve BOTH Magic and Yu Gi Oh! and was designed by the folks who were the distrubition arm for Yu Gi Oh! here in the states.

VS. VS. was designed to overcome manachoke by firstly making every single card a resource (land) and to over come both games draw dependency by allowing the players to draw two cards for every draw phase. It also fixed issues with order and priority by having "simultaneous turns" where the initiative stays with one player while PRIORITY bounces back and forth between the play steps.

I played Magic since it's inception (alpha) through Ice Age (Yes snow covered this and that and watered down "fixes" to manachoke DID turn me off that much, and Jester's Cap isn't THAT cool. It's cool, but it's no Shahrazade in my opinion.) In Yu Gi Oh! I played for long enough to confirm that Tea's build IS one of the best decks in the game (St. Joan point leech) by winning a city tournament only to find out that Yu Gi Oh! was NOT the game that UDE (Upper Deck Entertainment) was sponsoring money tournaments for. (Oops!) That game was VS.
Oh well I traded the prizes in for VS. stuff and have never looked back.

After having played VS. for seven years now I think I can honestly say that VS. achieved it's goal of evolving the TCG system. While thanks to UDE thinking that they would instantly have 10,000,000 players if they made a WoW TCG, Vs. got thrown to the wolves sadly but hey don't be TOO surprised if you see it come back. The game was so good that there is a movement to have it printed again if just for the fun, without commonalities so that it would be more commonly accessible. (Okay I only NOW realized that pun and....I'm sorry.)

So what's the point of my telling you about one of the greatest TCGs that (compared to what it could have been) never was? Well I'm saying this to you because you are a gamer and apparently one who loves TCGs so you can still enjoy some of the best that VS. ever was (at least for the Marvel side of the house.) in a DS game called "the Marvel Trading Card Game." Seriously who named this?? Anywho it IS the VS. system with ALL of the cards from the first Marvel sets, Origins, Spidey, Marvel Knights, and the Avengers, over 1,000 different cards. All for about 10 bucks and the game isn't hard to find. Got card gaming pals? Great for a twenny you can both be all about the Mighty Marvel Multiplayer Mayhem! (Maybe.) Seriously though, even if you don't enjoy the idea of Super Hero teams going at it, it IS the modern evolution of the dynamic equation that is TCGs so it's worth a look for that (and how cheap it is.) alone. Also you CAN still buy VS. cards pretty inexpensively (especially compared to magic and Yu Gi Oh! prices) but probably not for much longer unless we get a re-boot.

OT: If I HAVE to pick between both of those systems it would be Magic the Gathering (which actually should be renamed Magic: the terse confrontation between two people who were once friends, but that's a whole other thread.) for the same reason I drink Coke instead of Pepsi. It was first, and both systems have their mathematical drawbacks which lead to huge timing/rules lawyering issues so Magic. It's also the only TCG someone has ever proposed with, and the Vesuvian Doppleganger is some of my favorite card art to this day. (Phil and Kaja's stuff not withstanding of course.)

NIFAT: (New idea for a topic) Hey so while we're all gathered like bronies at the trough during a pre scarfing for season two, what's everyone's favorite card from all TCGs?

Mine? Xavier's Dream of course! (after THAT wall o' text? I mean c'mon....)

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
Yu Gi Oh is as Little Kuriboh put it, "... a children's card game." More people actually respect magic, especially card shops because it's less expensive to stock.

Also Magic is long lived versus Yu Gi Oh which will probably collapse at some forseeable point. Not to say it will die next year but you get my point. Unless Yu Gi Oh becomes Pokemon levels of staying power which might be the case.

My strongest argument however for Magic is the balance. While nowhere near perfect It works better than Yu Gi Oh. Trust me, I was into Yu Gi Oh and was angry as Battle City made my cards crap. And watched the same thing happen for GX as builds started to take place instead of custom decks.

Gametek

May 20, 2011
In any case, just took a look to the last ygo series... normal rare, ultra rare phantom rare, secret rare... Card that are actually stupid if not in specific combo...

In a word, no custom deck. And card ban list? Guys, this card would never be game breaking on mtg. They are so only because they don't have any cost. Take a look to mtg ban list, this is something that explain the word "overpowered"...

And 3/4 of the escapist have decided mtg =P

matsy

Nov 19, 2009
JDB15 said:
I've seen people play Magic and it seems that everyone have a type of deck, ie Earth, Fire, etc (I don't know if those are types of magic cards, I'm not that into Magic.) And I know, people have similar tactics in Yugioh, ie dragon, warrior, water deck, but in Yu-Gi-Oh, I see more people have more structured decks with different types of monsters/magic/traps, including me, with different combinations and strategies. Plus, it seems that Yu-Gi-Oh is more fun (can be for fun or competitive), where Magic is more of a serious tone and more difficult to get into.
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but if it's "Yugioh has a bigger variety of structured decks" you're out of your mind. At any one time in its history, I doubt Yugioh has ever had more than 2 or maybe 3 top tier decks at any one time. The people who make Yugioh cards have no notion of balance and consistently break the game with most expansions, limiting deck choices to those decks which best facilitate the recent most broken feature.
I'm not nearly as familiar with the magic metagame but I'm fairly sure there have only ever been a few degenerate formats where one archetype (and its counter) reigned supreme, as opposed to the majority of Yugioh's history.

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I believe that a few people, myself included, forgot what these games are about: fun. Who the hell cares which is more complex or which has "better" rules? Besides, you could just run traditional. That is always...interesting.
The question holds no value if taken at only a casual level. Casual players don't need any deep understanding of rules or strategies, and can just play whichever game is most fun to them. For those people, yugioh will most likely be the most "fun".

Taken at a more serious level however, brings us to these discussions of depth, complexity and strategy. If the OP (or anyone reading this thread) is interested in taking up one of these card games in any kind of serious way, it would be of interest to them to know the sorts of things are being discussed (except the stupid OTK stuff that went for like 3 pages lol)

If you don't care and are just building jank decks with friends, either game will be just as rewarding for you imo

If you are looking for something a bit more serious, like playing at a store in tournaments or the such, for gods sake go magic. Unless you enjoy the prospect of forking out hundreds of dollars to build the exact same deck as some arrogant teenager, to even have a chance of beating said teenager.

xcgillx2

May 7, 2011
For the actuall card game I'd say yugioh purley because its easier. But i had a really good magic the gathering game for the old xbox

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I have played both and I can honestly say magic is a better designed game which requires deeper stratgy and has a bigger communitee

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Play Battletech CCG! Same game engine as MtG (same creator), but more strategic.

Oh wait, it's dead... :(

Well, I can tell you that I quite liked MtG when I played it, but I started with Fallen Kingdoms and called it quits around the time Tempest came out, so I've been out of the picture for a while now.

Yu-Gi-Oh, I never liked it. The concept, the design... it's just way to silly and kiddified for my taste. However, it's by far the more popular game at the store I hang out in. And by popular I mean, all the under 14's play it, and a couple of older players who play it on a professional level.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
As totally unbiased person who has played 15 hours of Magic the Gathering Planewalkers 2012 on steam and whose only experience of Yu-Gi-Oh was buying some cards when I was younger and watching the cartoon. I think MtG is better.

If I knew even less about them both I would still choose MtG because it?s prettier.