President Obama Links Videogames to Unhealthy Kids

Bobkat1252

The Psychotic Psyker
Mar 18, 2008
Propagandasaurus said:
Nurb said:
Same with the whole 'meat is unhealthy for you' BS from those pretentious veggie/vegan idiots. No it's not, OVER EATING on meat is what's unhealthy.
Actually, little known fact, but everyone that has ever eaten meat has been dead within a hundred years. True.

It's because beef is filled with little worms that squirm down your throat and piss in your liver.
So what about supercentarians? They've never eatten meat?

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
You know, instead of blaming video games - something unhealthy people may do - why don't officials encourage exercise and healthy eating - something unhealthy people may not be doing? It's not the playing video games that's the problem, it's a lack of exercise. There are infinity things a person could be doing while not exercising. Why blame just one of them?

I play video games, and I don't exercise as much as I should, but I do a lot of walking. Maybe encouraging people to save gas and walk a bit could do some good... oh, wait, America's investing in it's auto industry. Let's not discourage people to buy cars.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
pantsoffdanceoff said:
SirSchmoopy said:
Just as much as television or facebook/twitter. I understand his point but the idea of going outside and playing hopscotch just isn't as cool as playing EA's HOP SCOTCH CHAMPION 09.
I agree when I play sports in the "outside" game this water comes out of my skin and makes me smell bad, AND I have to stand up. I'd rather just play the game indoors, whilst sitting down.
Whoa you people go outside ? but aren`t there landsharks and flying knives outside??

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I'm sure Nintendo will manufacture some sort of mammogram/colon-screening hardware add-on and bridge this schism.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Well, some fat people choose to sit there and do no form of exercises what-so-ever.

Some of them just happens to play video games while doing no form of exercises what-so-ever.

Mankind has trouble accepting that it is "his/her" fault. They need to blame something. Oh my! Video games made us stay on our couch! IT'S THE VIDEO GAMES FAULTS!

Remember, every addiction started with a human decision. Don't blame the drug, blame you.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Knonsense said:
why is this any of the president's business?
because this is america, silly. everything is the president's business.

Alas, the golden age of gaming is now officially over. Once obama speaks, we get change we can believe in. Since video games cause global warming AND obesity, look forward to tobacco style taxes on games to pay for tolerance camps for middle schoolers and sex-ed for preschoolers.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
I'll say exactly what I said when I first heard Barack Obama was palling around with Jeremiah Wright:

"FUCK YOU."

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Nobody ever says "stop reading books and go outside" or "stop watching TV and go outside", it's always video games...

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
if you want ppl to stop playing video games to go outside and play, you need the outside TO BE MORE INTERESTING!

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Xvito said:
Maybe getting the youth off MySpace and Facebook is a better reform... Oh, and getting them out of McDonalds.
I second that motion, lets stop putting all the blame on video games.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Ok this is the big freaking point. We individuals of proper age to make our own decisions, (old enough to vote) choose to do the things we do. And we should be allowed to make those decisions no matter how others view them. I choose to play a few hours of games instead of going for a nice sweaty jog, that?s my choice. Stop telling everyone how to live!

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
The thing about his statements that bothers me is the way in which he says them. I insinuate everytime that I hear him talk about these topics that he eventually wants to place government regulations on the lifestyles parents allow their children to live, or even the way people choose to live their lives. I encourage education on health matters, but I discourage telling people the way in which the education must be implemented.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
Malygris said:
President Obama Links Videogames to Unhealthy Kids

In a speech to the American Medical Association [http://www.ama-assn.org/], President Barack Obama once again suggested that overindulgence in videogames is turning U.S. youths into unhealthy little fatbodies.

While Obama's election was widely applauded by gamers, the President has often linked videogaming to underachievement in American youth, in addresses both before and after taking office. He returned to the subject again today, telling members of the American Medical Association that part of his initiative to reform the U.S. health care system will be a focus on "preventive care," which includes cutting back on the videogames.

"The second step [in health care reform] that we can all agree on is to invest more in preventive care so that we can avoid illness and disease in the first place. That starts with each of us taking more responsibility for our health and the health of our children," he said. "It means quitting smoking, going in for that mammogram or colon cancer screening. It means going for a run or hitting the gym, and raising our children to step away from the video games and spend more time playing outside."

To be fair, Obama doesn't appear to be targeting videogames as an insidious evil eating away at the very moral fabric of our society; he just wants kids to get outside and play more, and I don't see where that's a particularly bad idea. The problem isn't videogames as much as it is the fact that videogames are a very visible and very topical factor in the spread of the increasingly sedentary Western lifestyle. The massive popularity of videogames may be new, but the idea that overindulgence is unhealthy most definitely isn't.

Source: GamePolitics [http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2009/06/15/text-of-obamas-speech-before-the-ama/]

ive agreed with you quite a lot but this i cant off course video games are a link in obesity kids would rather play shit on the computer or TV than got out an play baseball its an honest fact

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
Croaker42 said:
Ok this is the big freaking point. We individuals of proper age to make our own decisions, (old enough to vote) choose to do the things we do. And we should be allowed to make those decisions no matter how others view them. I choose to play a few hours of games instead of going for a nice sweaty jog, that?s my choice. Stop everyone how to live!
he means the kiddies not 18s and up

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
If you sit on your arse all da, you'll be a fatty. The man has said nothing new. Video games are great, just in a minority.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a left 4 dead all nighter to pull. Now where did I leave that mega bag of crisps...

xxnightlawxx

Nov 6, 2008
All this makes me think. Nintendo is secretly controlled by the goverment. Thats it i have figured it out.