President Obama Links Videogames to Unhealthy Kids

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
Well I can certainly agree with him that you should take breaks and go outside. I'm personally trying to do just that.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
shadowstriker86 said:
if you want ppl to stop playing video games to go outside and play, you need the outside TO BE MORE INTERESTING!
I propose we have ninjas and bears wander around. That would make things more interesting and promote fitness. Nothing like running from a bear to get the heart pumping.

Avashnea

Mar 16, 2009
Yeah, and it has NOTHING to do with parents and schools feeding them nothing but sugar. An unhealthy diet of little fat and protein with TONS of carbs makes you fat, even if you DO exercise!

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
I think a key here is that he said "get off videogames and go outside". He was saying the bad thing isn't that they're on the videogames, it's that they aren't playing outside. Yes, the argument could be, "TV, facebook, internet videogame magazine forums, etc.. are just as bad". The point is, we should be doing less of all those things, and hanging around outside. Videogames is the easiest to relate to because, currently, it is the biggest of those. If he took the time to list everything that we do in excess that we could cut back on... it'd take a while.

Interesting thought though, Eastern societies seem to be as much into gaming, if not moreso, than Western societies, and yet have less obesity issues.

Maybe Wii and Natal will mix the best of both worlds, solve all of our problems. That or Milo will become self-aware, and we all know what that will lead to...

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
The problem is not video games. The problem is not TV. The problem is not fatty foods.

The problem is parents. All of these things can be properly limited if the parents step in and pay more attention to their children. Rather than say that the problem is due to television and fast food, it should be made clear that a child's health can be easily influenced by their parents.

This is what President Obama appears to be doing, so at least I support him on this.

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
I've played games for most of my life and I've never been fat.
Games have only been constructive for me. I knew who Khrushchev was because I played MGS3. No one else in my junior year history class knew who he was.
So in short, they make us smarter. Wait...what was this about?

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
The problem is....Obama is running out of ideas so he's jumping on the "video games are bad for your health" band wagon. Not as hard as a lot of people I admit, but its the first step down the dangerous slippery slope that ends with gamers mailing him suspiciously ticking packages and turning pentagon computers into naught but smoking piles of ruin.

ajb924

Jun 3, 2009
Another one of Obama's faulty ideas... Ok, if their weren't videogames i would watch tv, if there wasn't tv i would write, if i couldn't read and write, if i couldnt read/write that would mean i had no hands and playing sports would be quite difficult now wouldn't it? The point I'm trying to make is that even without video games there will still be people who don't go outside to ofte. If there was no video games i would go outside a little bit more but not by much. On top of this, if you eat healthy foods you won't be obese. I hate to exercise, so i just started eating less and having more fruit/ vegetables and i lost weight, so don't tell me that video games make me fat, when i got grounded from games for a month i sure as hell didn't lose any weight.
EDIT: I forgot one point, video games help me in school. God of War gave me an automatic A on my Greek History test and if it wern't for Sho from The World Ends With You i wouldn't have gotten an a on my math final. WWII Games made me remember alot about the real war, including dates and such.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
To all of you who skimmed the premise and started making claims like "What about parents?" "What about teaching people to make good decisions and personal responsibility?" "What about moderation?". You didn't read it, let me highlight.

"That starts with each of us taking more responsibility for our health and the health of our children," he said. "It means quitting smoking, going in for that mammogram or colon cancer screening. It means going for a run or hitting the gym, and raising our children to step away from the video games and spend more time playing outside."
And again, to those of you saying "What about TV?" "What about fast food?" "What about the internet?", he's just using the easy example, to list everything we do that's unhealthy would take a very long time. Also, he's saying not that it's horrible, reading a book is just as sedentary, if not moreso, he's just saying we should do less of it and be more active.

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
A random person said:
Ginnipe said:
Underacheivment, really, I'm a big videogamer and yet I'm one of the smartest students in my entire class. I think ratinaly, I get high grades (except in language arts, but I dont care that a form can fit meaning or that I need to write 3rd person instead of 1st) and I acually understand why many people do things, including why us gamers play videogames.
Are you me?
I think he's me....My lowest grade is in language arts....still an A...but my lowest A

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I hate to break it to everyone, but playing video games isn't healthy. You sit on your ass and do nothing. It's not actively hurting you, but it certainly isn't helping.

There's many things that are both more productive and more contributory towards good health, especially for children, almost all of which involve going outside and being active.

That doesn't mean that gaming is bad. It's just not healthy. If you think otherwise, you're an idiot as well as wrong.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
You see, when a government takes control of the healthcare system, they can do stuff like this, because it is them paying for your medical bills, so they have the right to regulae activities they think might be "harmful" to the population. Government healthcare is such a slippery slope, and we Americans must stop this before it gets out of hand.
I probably just made a few enemies in these forums, but hey, we still have freedom of speech right? (well, at least until that is deemed hazardous to the public's health)

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Really just shut up Obama you aren't getting me to stop playing games. I mean you know what else causes kids to be unhealthly ummm everything else....I mean this comes from I guy who is known to have a problem smoking seriously don't believe him.

Also he says it makes kids stupid....it really doesn't some of the smartest kids I know (myself included) play lots of videogames.

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
You know, I do like that he seems to blame the people that play the games for not exercising, as opposed to blaming the games themselves.

As for me, I like to play games, but I make sure to exercise. I'm just one of those weird people that finds (certain types of) exercise fun.

Also:

Propagandasaurus said:
Nurb said:
Same with the whole 'meat is unhealthy for you' BS from those pretentious veggie/vegan idiots. No it's not, OVER EATING on meat is what's unhealthy.
Actually, little known fact, but everyone that has ever eaten meat has been dead within a hundred years. True.

It's because beef is filled with little worms that squirm down your throat and piss in your liver.
Tastiest death ever? :)

Aqua Trenoble

Mar 25, 2009
Ummm... this would be the ENTIRE PURPOSE of the Wii... other than gimmicks.

Also some people are completely unaffected by lack of exercise (except they get into TERRIBLE shape), so videogames aren't exactly the best targets for obesity. Not as long as DDR and Wii Fit still exist anyway. Exercise isn't as large a factor in obesity as nutrition is. You can sit on your ass for years and not get fat as long as you eat only the bare amount needed to function. And there are a lot of people (like me) who can eat pretty large amounts of food and not exercise very much and still be normal weight (actually, I'm a few pounds underweight).

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
He can say whatever he wishes, but if he decides to put in regulations on video game play time, I will me most pissed.

EDIT:

j0z said:
You see, when a government takes control of the healthcare system, they can do stuff like this, because it is them paying for your medical bills, so they have the right to regulae activities they think might be "harmful" to the population. Government healthcare is such a slippery slope, and we Americans must stop this before it gets out of hand.
I probably just made a few enemies in these forums, but hey, we still have freedom of speech right? (well, at least until that is deemed hazardous to the public's health)
Dear God. There's another person who doesn't support national health care. Welcome to the fold, my good friend.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Haydyn said:
Yes, because we all know that over-eating fat kids who watch Tv all day are fat because of video games... It's amazing how President Obama has the opposite beliefs than me on every issue he's brought up that I can remember.

1: Playing video games doesn't make you fat. It just doesn't keep you in shape.
2: Over-eating makes you fat, yet even though America is in a depression, we are still buying and consuming too much food.
3: Playing video games doesn't mean you don't get excercise. Blaming video games for being fat is like blaming the cat for taking the last donut. It didn't take the donut, and it's not going to buy any more donuts. Video games are not good or bad for your weight.
4: Food is already becoming more and more healthy in the weight department. Half of our food is either low fat, reduced fat, or no fat. Because of this, ever since I started working out just an hour or less a day, I lost 30 friggin pounds. None of my jeans fit anymore. Now, I've actually had to cut back on excercise, and I force myself to eat more than I want, and that's only to stay at my current weight. And I play about 5-8 hours of video games on a daily basis.
5: Some video games can even teach people the advantages of being skinny. In Fable 2, the fatter you get, the lower your attractiveness is. In fact, most main characters in video games are fit, so if we are playing the lives of fit people, why would we getting fatter? We play video games to play a hypothetical situation that would be ideal for enjoyment, and in these situations, we are fit. If anything, video games could help get and keep people fit if we were to use them right.

This is just propaganda against video games. Why don't people stop blaming other things for their own weight problem. I say, if a man has an Xbox360 controller in his hands, he has no free hands to eat that 3rd piece of cake today.
Are you kidding me? Did you even read what he said or did you just read the title and skim through? He didn't even mention anything you listed, he simply stated "stop playing video games for a sec and get outside", how the hell is that implying that "playing video games make you fat"?

Propaganda against video games my ass, this is something a simple physician doctor would tell their patient, "Go on a diet, put down the controller and get some exercise." Hell, it's what my dad tells me all the time "Get your ass off the computer and go to the gym with me!" This is hardly "propaganda against video games", this is just general speak. The phrase "video games" is used more often than we think, and not in controversial topics all the time.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Freakout456 said:
Really just shut up Obama you aren't getting me to stop playing games. I mean you know what else causes kids to be unhealthly ummm everything else....I mean this comes from I guy who is known to have a problem smoking seriously don't believe him.

Also he says it makes kids stupid....it really doesn't some of the smartest kids I know (myself included) play lots of videogames.

...where in that entire quote does he say that video games make kids stupid? I would really like to know, because what I'm seeing is you guys overreacting to a simple phrase of "video games" being mentioned in the same line as "diet and exercise".

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
SirSchmoopy said:
Just as much as television or facebook/twitter. I understand his point but the idea of going outside and playing hopscotch just isn't as cool as playing EA's HOP SCOTCH CHAMPION 09.
Where can I get that game? Oh, Rob, will the hilarity ever end?