Prototype Is VERY HARD

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
Nurb said:
There is no 'learning curve' here. I loved ninja gaiden because it was challenging and fuggin hard.

PROTOTYPE is hard in the sense that there is so much much going on and your lock-on camera doesn't move means you can never stand still long enough to get your barings, especially with those hunters charging you.

I was in the mission when you first meet the hunters and have to lead them to that military base. I was running around like a freak because I couldn't stop long enough to force the damn camera around fast enough to target them with the rocket launcher, and the claws are little help because while YOU are juggled by their combos, they can lay into your while you're performing yours, and their buddies can just take a swipe at you and your juggled to death, not to mention being slammed by 5 hunters in that tiny place while you're trying to pick up a weapon. That is not challening OR hard, it is pointlessly infuriating because of the terrible camera, which makes the one in ninja gaiden look inspired

so I said "screw it" and uninstalled it.
If you managed to get past them you could buy a bunch of moves that make hunters a cake walk. Later on the game has far too many defend the person/place/thing missions though.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
hypothetical fact said:
If you managed to get past them you could buy a bunch of moves that make hunters a cake walk. Later on the game has far too many defend the person/place/thing missions though.
well if they make a patch to fix the camera so you can move it fast enough and make the angle wide enough to see whats going on around you I'll give it another shot, but until then it's not touching my PC again :D

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Nurb said:
well if they make a patch to fix the camera so you can move it fast enough and make the angle wide enough to see whats going on around you I'll give it another shot, but until then it's not touching my PC again :D
You know, I had a simmilar problem (camera too slow), but then I just increased my mouse sensitivity in the options screen by a few points and haven't had that problem since... ;)

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Khazoth said:
It is far too fucking hard, I mean the fight with Elizabeth Green is ten different kinds of unfair.

She can knock you down

She can attack you with dozens of orbs that seek you out

She sends out the strongest level infected in waves of 3 which can also knock you down and deal massive amounts of damage.

She has a bullshit blood wave which knocks away most of your health if it hits, and it will because of all the crap that can knock you down

She can attack you DURING the blood wave, and knock you down, making it impossible to flee.

Edit: For the record, you have to use the bio-whip thing and lock onto the tentacles, while moving, and continuously use your long ranged attacks.
It was difficult but I eventually beat it.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Teh Ty said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Wait your having problems with this game? I'm blazing through it, then again I pour all of my points into health and shit first.
Just wait till you get to the big bosses. Then you will wish you got the stuff to help your powers.
I've finished all my health, powers, movement, and stuff you have to consume to get I think I'm pretty well off.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Am I the only person who, for the Elizabeth Greene fight, just kept hijacking tanks? Shoot at the base where she goes into the floor and the splash damage will hit all three tendrils. All the time you're in the tank, you can't be damaged and the Infected just bounce off you. When the tank is destroyed, wait until she shoots her rubble stream and then immediately go for another tank that spawned while you were fighting Greene. The wave attack comes just as you crack your knuckles in the hijack animation. For best results, circle her constantly.

Took me... 10 minutes? Including working it out? The final boss is far harder to do, but is a much easier strategy :)

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Oh, just wait until you have to fight
THE SUPREME HUNTER! DUNDUNDUUUN!Which is coincidentally the next part of that mission
First one is easy as balls, but last one... oh my god...

Anyway, just use devastators on Mother(Fine, Elizabeth). (Probably the giant demented hydra you're talking about)

Edit: I can't believe this. I used the groundspike devastator on Elizabeth, and it was easy as shit. Just hide in the buildings. Coincidentally I got like 10 hints.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Defeated Greene in 40 min, just switch between hijacking choppers and tanks to soften her up, or your sword impaling attack, which can take off multiple bars from the tentacles in one strike =D

Well, I did spend quite a few minutes just enjoying the scenery, scaling buildings and watching as the marines desperately tried to face off that monster. =D

sdafdfhrye3245

Sep 30, 2008
PauL o_O said:
Picked up prototype this afternoon, and due to heavy thunderstorms, I've played it most of the day. Since "normal" difficulty was the hardest option it gives you the first time around, that is what I am playing on. And let me tell you something, THIS GAME IS HARD AS BALLS.
After over a dozen attempts to guide a truck (which was still shooting at me since I am the common bad guy) to said point, I was faced with a giant demented Hydra. I hit that thing for 45 minutes, and took off about 10% of it's health. Idk if I'm doing something wrong, or this game is just far to tough.

try jacking a tank i did that and i had a breeze unless your talking about green then shooting probably the dumbest thing you could do
/Discuss

thawk

Jun 15, 2009
For the Elizabeth Greene fight I just kept climbing onto the skyscrapers surrounding her(the hunters seem too clumsy to keep up plus you can try to regain health on them while out of Lizzy's line of fire) and jumping down with airdash to avoid rocks and blade air slice to outrun the green blobs and do some damage to the tentacles. The only real thing that can go wrong here is getting hit by rocks after you started blade air slice but that didn't seem to occur that much when I was playing. Her shockwave really ain't a problem here since you're spending so much time far far away from her.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Khazoth said:
Okay for the Elizabeth Green fight in Times Square. Just defeated her rather easily

Keep Armor On

While Tentacles are undefeated, stay moving and use the charged long range whip strike

When she drops to the ground, switch to your blade and hack into her.

Do not focus on ANYTHING else but Green.

She should be a snap.
I just threw about 97 cars at her..she eventually died -.-

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Teh Ty said:
Khazoth said:
It is far too fucking hard, I mean the fight with Elizabeth Green is ten different kinds of unfair.

She can knock you down

She sends out the strongest level infected in waves of 3 which can also knock you down and deal massive amounts of damage.

She has a bullshit blood wave which knocks away most of your health if it hits, and it will because of all the crap that can knock you down

She can attack you DURING the blood wave, and knock you down, making it impossible to flee.

Edit: For the record, you have to use the bio-whip thing and lock onto the tentacles, while moving, and continuously use your long ranged attacks.
All of that is true, and the edit is what I did. It worked, I was able to do a good amount of damage with that and I think that;s the thing that can do the most damage. Devastator attacks hardly work, even thought the hints in the game tell you to use them on her. I just recently beat her. It took me 7 tries.
Really? It was piss easy for me. All you do is equip Blade and Shield upgrade health and regen and pretty much everything you can, then use spike graveyard devastator. Twice will take her down easy. All you need to do for health is run off to a side street, fight the hunters which are easy that come after you, using the blade upgrades and hunter slam. Consume them, get health up, use spike graveyard, destroy her, repeat. Very easy. The only boss I had to try twice was supreme hunter No.2 cause of that gay time limit.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Jandau said:
Nurb said:
You know, I had a simmilar problem (camera too slow), but then I just increased my mouse sensitivity in the options screen by a few points and haven't had that problem since... ;)
Yeah this helps a lot, and remembering to hold down lock-on does too.

My only gripe with the camera is that the game doesn't make Alex hit whatever you are looking at, so if you move the camera around and click, he hits in the direction he is facing. This is easy to get use to also but with other games focusing on where you are facing and giving you a few "hit behind you" moves, I wasn't use to that.

As for the first hunters you encounter, just keep frikin' dodging and jumping, don't let any get close to you. I know how hard that is but just do it!

Teh Ty

Sep 10, 2008
Halfbreed13 said:
Teh Ty said:
Khazoth said:

She can knock you down

All of that is true, and the edit is what I did. It worked, I was able to do a good amount of damage with that and I think that;s the thing that can do the most damage. Devastator attacks hardly work, even thought the hints in the game tell you to use them on her. I just recently beat her. It took me 7 tries.
Really? It was piss easy for me. All you do is equip Blade and Shield upgrade health and regen and pretty much everything you can, then use spike graveyard devastator. Twice will take her down easy. All you need to do for health is run off to a side street, fight the hunters which are easy that come after you, using the blade upgrades and hunter slam. Consume them, get health up, use spike graveyard, destroy her, repeat. Very easy. The only boss I had to try twice was supreme hunter No.2 cause of that gay time limit.
I tried spike graveyard a couple times, but it hardly did anything. I did everything else you said, let hunters chase me, then kill them, consume them, get health, get back, attack, the devestators hardly did anything.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Teh Ty said:
Halfbreed13 said:
Teh Ty said:
Khazoth said:

She can knock you down

I tried spike graveyard a couple times, but it hardly did anything. I did everything else you said, let hunters chase me, then kill them, consume them, get health, get back, attack, the devestators hardly did anything.
You sir, are either lying or playing on max uber difficulty. Run in with the shield up, dodge the attacks she throws, stand right next to her, charge up, and own. Once she falls just slash her with the blade. Seriously I lie not.

wgreer25

Good news everyone!
Jun 9, 2008
Halfbreed13 said:
Teh Ty said:
Halfbreed13 said:
Teh Ty said:
Khazoth said:

She can knock you down

You sir, are either lying or playing on max uber difficulty. Run in with the shield up, dodge the attacks she throws, stand right next to her, charge up, and own. Once she falls just slash her with the blade. Seriously I lie not.
He is right, it works. Except I didn't run up to her. I went to the nearest skyscraper, waited for the hunters to come to me (insert Dirtnap here) and consumed them. I would jump off the building and do the air graveyard devestator. It would take two or three to take down her defenses and then it was time for the face slashing. Repeat this whole process about 3 times and she is dead. Took about 45 minutes and was epic. I died once because she hit me with rocks and disrupted my drop and as soon as I was on the ground... blood wave, and it sapped all my health, but I did get another devistator off before I died.

I am freakin' loving this game. It is a challenge and that is good. And it is not "exploding shiruken that you can't see = cheep" challenge either. If a hunter takes you down (later in the game) it is because you F-ed up, Hunters are pusses meant to be consumed. Don't get me wrong though, I've had plenty a Hunter get is fists all over me in that charge attack of theirs, I just didn't dodge roll in time.