PSN Phasing Back Into Existence With Enhanced Security

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
[HEADING=1]OH FOR F*** SAKE.[/HEADING]

Scuse my cursing there, but they announce this on the day that I'm going back to university and thus will be unable to access any of these nice things through my PS3 which will be staying at home??

I haven't even been able to connect my PSN and Steam account yet so I can download Portal 2 to my computer! :mad:

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
WooT! This sounds great, and I'm fine with it. Thanks Sony, though it never really bothered me in the first place.

It amuses me that so many average people are so terrified of someone knowing where they live. OMG teh world has ended! As if they're that special that a hacker is going to specifically chose them and... well... send them pizza or junk mail or something.

It's doubtful the hacker has even managed to decrypt it all yet, and even more doubtful he's bothered to look at it. He's probably already deleted it all; proving that he CAN is usually the goal for these people, he probably wouldn't want a massive jail sentence for keeping a couple millions peoples data on his computer that isn't really that useful anyway. The evidence is probably long gone. Chill out and get over it, no one cares where you live people.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Does this mean I can get my portal? :D
I won't get the music service since it's probably only for NA, but I'll probably get some PSN+. This isn't really enough for me, it's just an ad for PSN+. Maybe if they sweetened the deal with some actual content, like free free downloadable games and such. Also, "this week" probably means the coming one, which is long.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Low Key said:
wooty said:
It's good to see that normality is slowly returning to proceedings.

I'm also quite happy to hear that news steps are being taken to help in the line of this not happening in the near future. Though I would also suggest that they remove the ability to directly use credit\debit cards and go the Microsoft way with the pre-paid cards. It may not be practical or quick, but at least it will put a lot of peoples minds at ease.
You can enter credit card numbers into Xbox Live. I wouldn't recommend it, but you can.
Really? I had no idea they introduced this, it was all points cards back when I had XBL. In that case, it wouldnt surprise me at all if MS are now looking at maybe beefing up their own security, better to be safe than sony :S

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I'd rather have the cash equivalent as I no longer own a PS3. All of that stuff is useless to me.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
RelexCryo said:
Except it was not a very strong shield. They did not encrypt User Data. The issue is not simply that hackers got in, but that Sony's defensive measures weren't very strong. They completely failed to encrypt user data. The issue here is not that Sony failed to create a totally invincable system, but that they failed to create even mediocre defenses.
I'd assume that was because Sony would need to have access to the personal data themselves for stuff like changing passwords, promotions, billing etc.

tangomonkey said:
Hi all, new here but just though of something. I may be a wrong but won't the PS+ free upgrade be worthless if we can't obtain the downloads from the PS store??
I assume the PS+ upgrade applies from when the PS Store is reopened. Sony would have to be complete idiots to do a PR move then implement it at a time when no one is able to take advantage of it.

Harbinger_ said:
I'd rather have the cash equivalent as I no longer own a PS3. All of that stuff is useless to me.
If you no longer own a PS3 why would you assume Sony cares about you? They're rewarding existing customers not sending out money to everyone for no reason...

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
Does anyone else think that microsoft has missed a trick here, perfect opportunity to cut prices and attract thousands of people across

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
wulfy42 said:
Yeah, I'm sorry but not good enough by a long shot.

I called up the other day to cancel my cards that I could have used (since you could not actually log in and see what card you used, I had to cancel them all). That sadly included my debit card from my bank as well because I might have used that.

I wasn't that upset about the whole thing as I figured I'd get a new card in a few days and just use my wife's card till then.

Nope, they canceled ALL of our cards. I went out yesterday to go shopping for the weekend. I didn't even think about my wife's card not working because I didn't cancel it....so I went shopping and no dice on her card. I still didn't think it was a big deal, I'd just run over to the bank and get the temporary card they were talking about...no biggie right?

Nope, it was friday. I have had direct deposit for my checks for so long I forgot what fridays were like at a bank. I waited in line about 20 minutes and finally just gave up (wasn't even a 3rd of the way through the line). We ended up having reheated soup (Still good, but not exactly what I wanted for dinner last night!).

Today I went back to the bank and waited about 25 minutes all together to be seen. Got my temporary card (which only lets you spend 100$ a day) and some actual cash out of my bank. I also transfered all my excess cash into a secure savings account to be extra careful. I was finally able to go shopping and at least I have enough cash now to last till I get my regular card back at this point.

The entire experience has sucked though. Add to that the bank constantly trying to get me to sign up for "identity theft protection" for only 1$ (for the first 30 days and then $15.99 every month after that", the extreme annoyance of dealing with their dumb automated systems in the first place and well......I'm not giving Sony any of my credit card information ever again. I guess it was partially my fault for not keeping track of what card I used with them, but honestly I never thought such a large company would be compromised. I used to have a seperate credit card I only used for online purchases etc....but after so many years I ditched it. Perhaps I'll go back to doing that again just to be extra safe in the future.

No matter what a "free" month of PSN + (what does that ever really give you anyway...never even looked into it) is certainly not going to make up for all the frustration I've had over this.
I have no qualms with someone losing confidence in sony, frankly you don't even need to describe why at this stage. But a lot of your post is NOT sonys fault. What I read was -Miscommunication between you and the bank -A general unwillingness to wait (I won't say lazy as I know how banks can be) -and typical parasitic tendencies for banks to jump on misfortune.

I'm kind of sick of analogies at this point so I won't bother trying to formulate one, but the point is, don't blame sony for actions WAY beyond their control. The fiasco over their security, the PSNs downtime, the failure to keep information safe... all Sonys fault. Your banks incompetence and sluggish pacing is not, regardless if it resulted from sonys mistake (despite what some may think, this does not make it sonys fault by extension).

Again, not undermining your distrust of sony, just establishing the boundaries of blame.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Let's hope Sony will stay out of trouble now after this. Hackers have not been kind to them latley.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
RelexCryo said:
Tom Goldman said:
For me personally, the badness level of having my identity stolen versus the goodness level of getting a videogame I want for free is a toss up,

This particular line bothers me. Does this mean that if I offer you a free copy of Brink, you will give me your info? Who, realistically speaking, would say that having their data stolen is equivalent to a new videogame? Stolen data like this is estimated to cost an average of $318.00 per compromised record.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109611-Credit-Card-Breach-May-Cost-Sony-24-Billion
this is exactly what i was thinking having read the article.
priorities?

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
To paraphrase Frankie Boyle. I hope that whoever has stolen my identity enjoys the bullet or sexual harassment case that is surely heading my way.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Hah, yeah right.

Maybe for some this deal will be worth it, but a couple things:

I consider my personal information worth much more than free dlc, and any company that doesn't properly protect it or inform me once security is breached has lost my respect and business.

I would check any license agreements from Sony for the next year or so. Make sure the next time something asks if you agree, it doesn't ALSO say somewhere that you give up your rights to be a plaintiff in the lawsuit against them. Sure, it may sound ridiculous, but considering Sony didn't tell customers for a week or so after they knew PSN was hacked, and they've repeatedly demonstrated contempt for consumers (I like their games, but not them), I would be a little suspicious.

RipperSU

Nov 20, 2009
Since I had no credit card on PSN and am moving house in a couple of months, the only thing that bothered me was lack of MK online. Now I get some free games though, which is good.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
BanthaFodder said:
Good. They say that it'll be back by the end of May by the latest. I don't care how long it takes to get it back up, keeping my info safe and getting these neckbearded cunts behind bars should be the first priority, and it looks like Sony realises this. They seem to have realised how badly they handled this in the beginning and decided to man up and get some shit done.
Good job Sony, as long as you're doing all you can do. Just remember, I can wait to play Portal 2 online, my personal and financial info is a bit more important to me at the moment. Don't rush PSN back out of pressure, take your time and ensure everything is perfectly safe before that.

Edit: as for the free month of PS+, here's my plan:
1. get PS+
2. download every bit of free shit
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!
Once PS+ runs out you can no longer use free stuff, just thought I'd let you know...

Death-of-Penguins

Mar 2, 2010
I'm not as mad as I probably should be. I'd deleted my card just before the whole thing got hacked anyway, and though some people are saying they didn't get notified by Sony about the problem, I did. I got an email through saying sorry and asking me to watch my credit card.

I'm just glad I finally get to play Portal 2 online. The free stuff is a nice add on.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
As I reasoned it would be best, in response to ambiguous press statements, to cancel my registered card, will I receive these 'loyalty incentives' in the next 10 - 14 days in which I cannot access my bank account.

I'll need something to do whilst not buying my wife's birthday present.

I wonder if she'd like a downloadable HD version of Breakout - I doubt it.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Tohuvabohu said:
Now we can finally start putting this behind us.

Like BP's catastrophic oil spill in the Gulf, everyone will forget about it soon enough.
On the brightside it's been 11 days less of cheaters in onlime matches(Along with everyone else but still.)

Irish Soulface

Sep 18, 2008
this is all good news too bad my ps3 has been broken for the past year :p I don't even know what info is on there...

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Why do I feel like whoever did this the first time will simply repeat it right after everything is back up...