PSN Phasing Back Into Existence With Enhanced Security

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Okay, but how are they going to compensate the customers for losing their personal information? Oh, they won't? Nice going Sony!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
RelexCryo said:
Tom Goldman said:
For me personally, the badness level of having my identity stolen versus the goodness level of getting a videogame I want for free is a toss up,

This particular line bothers me. Does this mean that if I offer you a free copy of Brink, you will give me your info? Who, realistically speaking, would say that having their data stolen is equivalent to a new videogame? Stolen data like this is estimated to cost an average of $318.00 per compromised record.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109611-Credit-Card-Breach-May-Cost-Sony-24-Billion
I'm glad i'm not the only one. That was just a weird line no matter how you look at it.

"hey, Sony managed to let my data get stolen, but I don't care because they're giving me a free game, what cool guys eh?"

Sharalon

Jan 19, 2011
Hopefully everything gets better than before, and we can just forget this little incident in a slightly paranoid manner.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
RelexCryo said:
Tom Goldman said:
For me personally, the badness level of having my identity stolen versus the goodness level of getting a videogame I want for free is a toss up,

This particular line bothers me. Does this mean that if I offer you a free copy of Brink, you will give me your info? Who, realistically speaking, would say that having their data stolen is equivalent to a new videogame? Stolen data like this is estimated to cost an average of $318.00 per compromised record.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109611-Credit-Card-Breach-May-Cost-Sony-24-Billion
The estimated cost of $300 per compromised record includes the cost of in-house investigations and communication, detection, escalation, notification, engaging forensic experts, outsourced hotline support, free credit monitoring subscriptions, discounts for future products and services, etc., etc., etc.

I'm willing to assume that of the $300, only a small fraction of it is attributable to the cost of discounted products and services. The entire $300 can't be used to value discounted products and services. If you do use that $300 "budget" entirely on discounted products and services, then there's nothing left over for all the other costs associated with a compromised record.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Ultimately, it's still going to run away with Biggest Gaming Screwup 2011, hands down. It also should severely damage Sony's PlayStation brand (deservedly for failing to encrypt the personal data in question.)

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Was it not newsworthy that this recent information was made available at a live press conference by Sony's No. 2, Kazuo Hirai, in person? The OP's article reads as if it was from nothing more than a press release and, in so doing, fails to give Sony any credit for sending it's No. 2 out to personally meet the press.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Wait, so they're getting Playstation Home back up before the Playstation Store? I'm sure all the developers and publishers who are really hurting will appreciate Sony's list of priorities as much as I do: not at all.

Sapient Pearwood said:
Sadly it seems most gamers don't have half a brain especially when they're complaining but yeah you're absolutely right. Well we get free stuff and for all we know our personal data is fine, yay.
Your personal data is not fine, have you not been paying attention for the past 11 days? Sony has confirmed again and again that they DID get your name, address, e-mail, and password. The only thing they may not have gotten is the credit card info, but that's been neither confirmed or denied. Maybe you should bone up on the facts here before you accuse other people of not having half a brain.

JDKJ said:
Was it not newsworthy that this recent information was made available at a live press conference by Sony's No. 2, Kazuo Hirai, in person? The OP's article reads as if it was from nothing more than a press release and, in so doing, fails to give Sony any credit for sending it's No. 2 out to personally meet the press.
No. Why should that make a difference? Text press release VS in-person press release with some members of the press that the rest of us read in text anyway... Nope, doesn't make a difference. Press release is a press release man.

Samurai Goomba said:
I like their games, but not them
After about a year or so of removing advertised features, suing the wrong people, Jack Tretton saying I have no self respect because I also happen to enjoy Nintendo products as well, and now the way they've mishandled this, these are my sentiments exactly.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
So they basically brought security up to where it should have been all along? Sounds like Sony to me.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
RelexCryo said:
Tom Goldman said:

This particular line bothers me. Does this mean that if I offer you a free copy of Brink, you will give me your info?
I was being a little sarcastic, considering that a free videogame does not compare to having one's identity stolen. Sorry if it didn't read.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
mjc0961 said:
JDKJ said:
No. Why should that make a difference? Text press release VS in-person press release with some members of the press that the rest of us read in text anyway... Nope, doesn't make a difference. Press release is a press release man.
Because after close to two weeks of running with rumor, innuendo, half-truths, and plain misstatements of the actual facts, I would have thought that the Escapist would have relished an opportunity to report on an actual fact rather than to have glossed it over.

ALPHATT

Aug 15, 2009
you have to be really desperate for online play / a huge asshole to buy a $150-$250 (depending on model) device because the service was down for a week.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Only good could have come from the event. Sony are (hopefully) now more weary and will have cyborg-saiyan dobermans guarding our data.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
Well, this is good news. I appreciate the free downloads. It's nice.

If you buy/download discounted/free stuff with PlayStation Plus and then let the subscription lapse, do you still have access to the free stuff?

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
RipperSU said:
Since I had no credit card on PSN and am moving house in a couple of months, the only thing that bothered me was lack of MK online. Now I get some free games though, which is good.
Yeah I know, I think the address on my PSN is my old Toronto one.

OT: everyone knew that Sony would give us stuff for this, isn't really all that unseen. But still as long as I can download Rayman within the month I'll be content for a while, and quoting what someone said earlier "people are going to forget this just like the BP oil spill."

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
Only good could have come from the event. Sony are (hopefully) now more weary and will have cyborg-saiyan dobermans guarding our data.
Haha! I lol'd at this. :3

But I certainly hope so! Don't think I could go through all this again! :O I need my ps3! xD

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Ooo free stuff?

I'm not usually one to give in to paranoia but I decided to cancel my card a couple of days ago when I heard that the information is possibly being sold on. So the most they can possibly use now is my name and address, so good luck with that hackers, at least my money's safe. I think my bank has the best security around anyway, even I have trouble getting MY OWN money!

As for Sony, you lot suck. I raved about the PS3 when I got one a few months ago after about 4 years of Microsoft's useless machine. At least the big M never compromised my data. I shall not be putting my bank details to my PSN account again that's for sure. This does not make me trust you.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Thedek said:
If what I am lead to believe is correct then they were warned prior to this about their shitty network security.

Proof. If this video is indeed legitimate.

Do you understand who failOverflow are and their conduct in relation to Sony and their relationship to Sony? You really expect Sony to take what a group of hackers who were (and I believe that some individual members still are) defendants in a lawsuit brought by Sony? That's like taking home security advice from the guy who just broke into your house and stole your flat-screen television. Not that the advice isn't credible. Just that the source isn't. I'm not gonna be the one heard to say, "Yeah, the guy that I'm suing just told me . . . and I'm taking his word for it."