Question of the Day, December 21, 2010

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Of all the myriad of remakes Square could do, FF6 is the one I'd want to see the most as it would benefit from some modern storytelling.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
And the shocking winner is....FF7! *sarcasam*

Really 7 remains one of the best FF titles and still an contender for best game of all time.

I liked 12(shut up I did, all you haters ruined FF by bashing 12 and look how they made 13!) Ten was ok but Titus was a whiny emo brat.

Tactics is right below 7 IMO, but it already got an undate on the PSN.

Since Square said doing a 7 remake is immpossible for them (B.S. lazy pricks) I have a better Idea altogether.

A remake of Legend of Dragoon. That is also one of my favorite games of all time if not one of the best RPGS Square has ever made. Just dont fiddle with the story at all.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
I'm going to be un-original here and say VII.

Here's where the originality bomb hits. They should completely reboot it, and make it a FPRPG, in the same style as Dragon Age, while keeping alot of the FF VII mechanics, like the materia systems, and they should add classes, make other party members companions, and add more weapons (MOAR DUKKA!!!). I could elaborate and flesh it out, but I'm tired, so I'll leave that to you lot.

EDIT: They should also have the option to play as other characters, so that there is more replay value, and we can see the story from a different, non-emo, whiny viewpoint.

Jun 11, 2008
KoDOmega said:
I cannot tell you how irritated I am Final Fantasy VI, arguably the most well-written and well-executed of all the Final Fantasy games, keeps getting shut out of the remake game. And, I believe, the big reason for that is it's stuck in the shadow of Final Fantasy VII, a good, yet (let's face it, kids) INFERIOR game.

It's like being a fan of A New Hope, yet Lucas keeps remaking Phantom Menace...
No it is not shut out. More people just ask for VII to Square. In every single thread even tangetly related to JRPGs FF gets mentioned and so does FFVII. Then there are also the people who feel they need to mention everytime that VII wasn't their favourite and was crap. Yes we get it you either prefer FFVI or IX(those are the main two). Bringing it up time and time again makes it just as bad as people bringing up a FFVII remake time and time again.

Off point of quote: I understand this is a thread about FF remakes but it really ruins people's arguments when they feel the need to point out that their FF is superior. It is not. All FF games have their merit and are different. The only thing that even connects Final Fantasy games are recurring characters(eg Gilgamesh) or themes(Evil Empire Fantsy/Steampunk) and a variant of a semi turn based battle style. I know people are allowed to have their opinion and I have no problem with people wanting a remake other than FFVII but it pisses me off to no end when people feel the need to be edgy/cool/different and say their FF over VII and mention that VII was not the best or in way inferior. Your thoughts on that matter are already implied as you have chosen a different FF for a remake.

OT: I would like to see them make a new FF rather a remake. I would like a FFVII remake though just to put the final nail in the coffin and they can stop ruining my favourite FF game and giving people fuel to ***** about it. If they do make a new FF I would like to see something like a Kingdom Hearts/DMC battle style with maybe added slight free run mechanics for fighting.

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
I really wish they would stop remaking games and stop making more "new" Final Fantasy games, and make other games. The series is dead in my mind and I wish they'd stop milking it for every penny.

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
i think FF IX was my favourite, followed closely by VIII... id love to see them on current-gen concoles

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Primus1985 said:
A remake of Legend of Dragoon. That is also one of my favorite games of all time if not one of the best RPGS Square has ever made. Just dont fiddle with the story at all.
Agreed, except Square didn't make Legend of Dragoon. It was made by Sony. They were new to the genre and it showed, but it also showed a magnificent potential that Sony (for some inexplicable reason, probably low sales numbers compared to FF9 and X) has abandoned. LoD also could benefit from a sequel, using what (if anything) Sony has learned in the past (omg has it really been that long?) 10 years.

OT: They've already completely refused, time and again, to remake VII, in spite of it being vastly more popular than most other FF's. Wherever it appears on your favorite FF's list, I think we can all agree that 7 would look amazing with updated visuals and a little reworking of the script (at least the English script).

I, for one, would love to see VI remade (like they were going to for the N64, but decided to polish VII instead. thanks a lot, Nintendo!). If only so that those who've never played it can get a chance to experience it without being bogged down by "dated graphics" and other childish BS (assuming it was remade well).

Edit: I would also be ok with a current-gen remake of V, even though they already remade it once V was a great game and is next numerically, so... go for it, Square!

Gigathrash

Apr 28, 2010
I chose other because none wasn't an option, and they already remade Tactics. (Which is a sin in and of itself for not being included in the poll.)

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
If Square-Enix were to revisit an old Final Fantasy world, I'd rather have a Final Fantasy VIII (8) MMO than any sort of remake.

But if we have to go with a remake, I'll pick VII.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Neon Jackal said:
Come on, what was really so great about FF7? FF6 was way cooler and had far less whining.
Kefka alone whined more than the entire cast of Final Fantasy VII. :p

[Kefka] Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate... [/Kefka]

Seriin

Jun 4, 2009
I'd love to see an offline version of FF11. I played the online one for about two years on and off but eventually life took over MMO time so I didn't get to see everything.

12 was basically an offline 11 (shared the same character animations at least lol), but a version of 11 with and NPC party and whatnot would be fun as well. I doubt it'll ever happen but I'd enjoy it all the same.

As for the ones on the list, 1,2,3,4 have been remade several times, 5 and 6 are also available over many platforms. And the playstation ones I just don't want to see. I like FF7 but I do not want to see it remade.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
It's not as though Square doesn't try new series. Remember Nier, The Last Remanat, The World Ends With You? Neither does anyone else. (Okay TWEWY had critical acclaim, but never wowed the sales charts). Now that even their flagship title is showing cracks you can't blame them for putting out something they know will sell rather than a new property we won't try until it's 30 dollars used at gamestop. And farnkly, given how 13 and 14 turned out, I think they need to go back to older games to see what made them good before they try any more half assed experiments.

As for the remake question: I've wanted VI remade ever since the systems had the power to put real vocals behind the opera. Lessor requests include a non 3D III, Crystal Chronicles without the need for GBA connections, and Mystic Quest so I can finaly put the SNES to rest. I'll even tack on VII, just because going back to it after all these years, it does look rather ugly.

munsterman

Nov 22, 2009
I would love a FF6 remake (first game I ever played, beat and replayed), but since Square seems to have a rager for teasing the masses about remaking FF7 I'll play it when it comes out. And it will come out its only just a matter of time until they decide they need the money after all the crap they have put out recently.

Xskills

Jan 11, 2010
Isn't it downright intuitive and impulsive to say FFVII on this? It actually has a decent plot from the get go and the soundtrack is pretty darn memorable too.