Rage Cuts Single-Player When You Buy It Used

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
killamanhunter said:
well...

screw you too id
yeah id wanting to make money I Mean what the fuck just because I am too cheap to buy the game new doesn't mean I shouldn't get their blood sweat and tears.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Himmelgeher said:
Oh... wow. I was actually going to go pre-order this tomorrow. But now... I'm certainly not supporting shit like this. For the record, I have no problem with devs putting a free DLC code in the box or giving something a bit extra to people who buy the game new (see the Cerberus Network), but this... fuck this.
how is this so much different though? to me this doesnt really seem like punishing people who buy it used, it seems more like rewarding people who buy it new. this is certainly better than what other companies have tried (capcom, im glaring in your direction)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
What is it with developers and publishers making such moronic moves lately? I would have bought this game new, but because of this I won't even buy it. I wasn't that into the game in the first place, and this is just a dick move.

stewox

Dec 25, 2009
They want to make money because they spent 7 years working on rage

you'll all making a mistake over something so irrelevant ... something that they just use to make up publicity - id Software has not been in contact with the community for A LONG LONG time and tim willits appears to be using a too consoleish approach. I treat those as mistakes and move on - i have made several threads about this in official RAGE formus.

escapist community is one of the weirdest about RAGE - nobody else talks like that - completely baseless.
Raging over stupid day one DLC who cares about it - I NEVER buy ANY DLC at all unless i can get it at retail - and im not paying 15? for some 5 maps and 3 stickers and 2 skins - bullcrap.

And in RAGE's case this is not first day DLC at all - this is a pile of irrelevant info.

see this AND READ IT: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150325

AFTER THIS NEGATIVE FALLOUT THEY FINALLY CONFIRMED RAGE IS USING STEAMWORKS FOR ACTIVATION - NO ALWAYS ON DRM.

And for once and for all - get into the REAL SOURCES of information - escapist has the MOST DECEPTIVE articles i have ever seen - the titles are ALWAYS wrong! - appears like some editor is doing bad stuff on purpose.

You can get the PC version for 26 GBP that's like 30 EUR and 41$ on Amazon UK - that's not just a deal - that's a STEAL.

The PC version will get modding tools as well as super-quality texture packs later.

Stop raging over misinformation. The mainstream media is the sole source of misinformation.

Do you want to know what was the TITLE of this article at first: "Used RAGE has no Singleplayer"
I have no idea how could that happen on mistake.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
CrazyMedic said:
killamanhunter said:
well...

screw you too id
yeah id wanting to make money I Mean what the fuck just because I am too cheap to buy the game new doesn't mean I shouldn't get their blood sweat and tears.
at least in Bad Company 2 if you bought it used you get the four maps in multiplayer people like to play rather than pay and get them all.

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
I'll just buy the game used and download a crack. After all, as long as you own the game, it's not really piracy, at least as far as the courts are concerned.

stewox

Dec 25, 2009
Clonekiller said:
I'll just buy the game used and download a crack. After all, as long as you own the game, it's not really piracy, at least as far as the courts are concerned.
It'll be very funny to wait for that when nobody will be selling it.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
Himmelgeher said:
Oh... wow. I was actually going to go pre-order this tomorrow. But now... I'm certainly not supporting shit like this. For the record, I have no problem with devs putting a free DLC code in the box or giving something a bit extra to people who buy the game new (see the Cerberus Network), but this... fuck this.
But this is exactly what it is. You get this DLC for free, when you buy the game new. Read the full interview instead of this attention grabbing excuse of an article on the Escapist.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
Scizophrenic Llama said:
ImprovizoR said:
Next time I want to buy a used Mercedes, I'll call official Mercedes dealership to ask them if they're gonna cut my brakes if I don't give them a piece of that action.

This is fuckin' stupid. Stop punishing gamers already. This kind of behavior can only increase piracy.
Or you could, you know, buy the game new and actually support the developer? Rather than the, "Fuck you, I want to buy your game at a cheaper price, and not let any of the money go back to you, and you're a piece of shit for wanting to make a profit off of the sale of one of your games." attitude you've got going now.

I don't get why people are all up in arms about this. RAGE is going to be a massive game by the way all of the news stories seem to say about it, if it's a good game it'll be worth the money to buy it new. If you really want to save money and buy it used, then you're paying for a lesser experience. I see no issue in this.

You really want to blame somebody: Blame GameStop for not giving a portion of their 100% gain on a used game being sold back to the developers.
Then they should fucking punish GameStop, yeah? And the attitude is "I can't afford 60 dollars, but 40 or 20 won't break my bank." Selfish? Consumer rights. We don't have to buy the game, they're lucky we're buying them at all.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Is this 17 pages of entitlement - I haven't read it all, but I bet at least 90% of it is?

FFS - it's pretty simple. Don't like the way ID are doing business then don't buy the game. ID does not owe you anything, but they do have something they want to sell you. Make a choice. I've made mine and have this on pre-order. Market will decide if this is the ""thin end of the wedge" or not based on sales rather than nerd whining.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
the_green_dragon said:
CD-R said:
Hotshots said:
*sniff sniff* I smell a shit-storm of a boycott coming. Well done id, you've excluded a huge percent of the gaming community because you want to make money. Give them a round of applaud ladies and gents, id has become the biggest dick in the gaming industry! They're not stopping pirates; they're stopping people who come a little to late for the party!

Pirates rejoice!
Ok so let's say you are put in charge of his hypothetical boycott. In order for this to succeed you have to convince people to not buy the game at launch and to cancel their preorders. So let's say I've preordered Rage. What will you say to me to convince me to cancel my preorder and join your cause?
Sure, they're locking out a small part of the single player campaign thats equal to some first day DLC. If this actually increases their profts whats to stop them locking out half the game next time? lets nip it in the bud now
Look what the state of PC gaming is today. Only difference is if you don't have that code they give you with the disc or it's been entered too many times, you can't access[ any of the content. That ships kind of already sailed.

Himmelgeher

May 17, 2010
Piflik said:
Himmelgeher said:
But this is exactly what it is. You get this DLC for free, when you buy the game new. Read the full interview instead of this attention grabbing excuse of an article on the Escapist.
This is not free dlc. It's similar to it, but it's cutting stuff that's already on the disk. DLC is stuff that is not on the disk, hence downloadable content. And it doesn't discriminate against used buyers, but people don't have a way to connect their console to the internet too. Maybe you should try thinking before you make yourself sound like an idiot.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
ImprovizoR said:
Next time I want to buy a used Mercedes, I'll call official Mercedes dealership to ask them if they're gonna cut my brakes if I don't give them a piece of that action.

This is fuckin' stupid. Used games market should be no different than any other market for used stuff. This kind of behavior can only increase piracy. There should be a law against this.
For the analogy to represent IGs actions, they wouldn't be cutting the breaks as that disrupts the cars main function. Instead, they are refusing to give you the car's floor mats, warranty coverage, manuals etc. Which is what happens with second hand cars in real life anyway. If you buy something second hand, the original producers of that product shouldn't be under any obligation to hand you the extras they offered the original customer.

The bottom line is, if you didn't give them any money, why should they be doing anything for you?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
-|- said:
Is this 17 pages of entitlement - I haven't read it all, but I bet at least 90% of it is?

FFS - it's pretty simple. Don't like the way ID are doing business then don't buy the game. ID does not owe you anything, but they do have something they want to sell you. Make a choice. I've made mine and have this on pre-order. Market will decide if this is the ""thin end of the wedge" or not based on sales rather than nerd whining.
Thank you, voice of reason.

I don't see what ID owes to the second hand customers who'll never pay them anything.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
Himmelgeher said:
Piflik said:
Himmelgeher said:
This is not free dlc. It's similar to it, but it's cutting stuff that's already on the disk. DLC is stuff that is not on the disk, hence downloadable content. And it doesn't discriminate against used buyers, but people don't have a way to connect their console to the internet too. Maybe you should try thinking before you make yourself sound like an idiot.
It is not on the disc. Everyone has to download it. As I said, read the full interview. Willits clearly says that it is an incentive to new buyers and that you have to download it.

but since everyone here seems to be too lazy to click on the link in the article, I'll quote the relevant part here:

Tim Willits: We have the first-time buyer stuff with all the sewers. You've played Rage five times. Have you found any sewer hatches?

Eurogamer: I did, out in the Wasteland.

Tim Willits: If you bought the game new, that would be open for you. You still have to download it, but you don't have to pay for it. Those hatches are all over. Most people never find them. But as soon as you do, you're like, oh. And then you start to look for it. That's our first-time buyer incentive.
Maybe you should start reading before you call other people names...

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
I didn't think it was possible... But I care even less about this game now than I did before....

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I still don't get why everyone is suddenly so bent out of shape. EA's been doing this for years now, especially BioWare (Stone Prisoner, Cerberus Network and the Emporium in DA2). Hell, they even fucking sold a companion in DA2 on day 1, not even free for people who bought it new. They were obviously cut out of the main game to encourage new sales, this isn't anything different. So why are all of you complaining about it now and not then? Oh wait, because this site loves BioWare. Never mind.

stewox

Dec 25, 2009
qwerty19411 said:
stewox said:
They want to make money because they spent 7 years working on rage

you'll all making a mistake over something so irrelevant ... something that they just use to make up publicity - id Software has not been in contact with the community for A LONG LONG time and tim willits appears to be using a too consoleish approach. I treat those as mistakes and move on - i have made several threads about this in official RAGE formus.

escapist community is one of the weirdest about RAGE - nobody else talks like that - completely baseless.
Raging over stupid day one DLC who cares about it - I NEVER buy ANY DLC at all unless i can get it at retail - and im not paying 15? for some 5 maps and 3 stickers and 2 skins - bullcrap.

And in RAGE's case this is not first day DLC at all - this is a pile of irrelevant info.

see this AND READ IT: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150325

AFTER THIS NEGATIVE FALLOUT THEY FINALLY CONFIRMED RAGE IS USING STEAMWORKS FOR ACTIVATION - NO ALWAYS ON DRM.

And for once and for all - get into the REAL SOURCES of information - escapist has the MOST DECEPTIVE articles i have ever seen - the titles are ALWAYS wrong! - appears like some editor is doing bad stuff on purpose.

You can get the PC version for 26 GBP that's like 30 EUR and 41$ on Amazon UK - that's not just a deal - that's a STEAL.

The PC version will get modding tools as well as super-quality texture packs later.

Stop raging over misinformation. The mainstream media is the sole source of misinformation.

Do you want to know what was the TITLE of this article at first: "Used RAGE has no Singleplayer"
I have no idea how could that happen on mistake.
from the megathread
  • - MODDING TOOLS ONLY AVAILABLE IN x64 BIT VERSION !
    - x64 bit PC version of RAGE is not shipping! Post-release (according to carmack at QC-Q&A) - I HAVE CONTACTED BETHESDA ABOUT THIS - SOUNDS ABSURD - only on steam ?!?!?
I hope this is an oversight of the thread's OP and has actually changed.
It will be clear sooner or later - they just aren't speaking yet - Carmack is allowed to say what he wants on QuakeCon and i have repeatedly said that might be another one of those "out of context" stuff -- we are not sure what he meant - bethesda is quiet.

But the modding tolls will be available at release or very shortly thereafter. That's all.

You guys can all guess what you want ... but peliminary analysis shows that those are going to be some pretty hardcore modding tools - not your average day in the park.

I am the OP on that link. The thread is being constantly updated.