Red Dead Redemption Upsets the Irish

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Radelaide said:
Jbird said:
I personally don't advocate the use of stereotypes, considering I hate how Hollywood portrays people from Louisiana as being super-Cajun coons who live on the boondocks. But really, it has to originate from somewhere, and the only person you need to blame is the jackass who started it.

So, screw you, ancestors of every known stereotype. I hope you're proud of the damage you caused.
Better than that the "Australian" stereotype. If one more person tells me to put a Shrimp on the Barbie, in a Steve Irwin-esque voice, I will stab a *****.
Forgive me if this may come off as being annoying, but I've always been curious about how an Australian thought of the Crocodile Dundee films. I understand that the actor was a comedian at one point.

TheRightToArmBears said:
I'm Irish.

Who cares?
You won the internet, sir/ma'am. (No sarcasm; all serious.)

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Radelaide said:
Jbird said:
I personally don't advocate the use of stereotypes, considering I hate how Hollywood portrays people from Louisiana as being super-Cajun coons who live on the boondocks. But really, it has to originate from somewhere, and the only person you need to blame is the jackass who started it.

So, screw you, ancestors of every known stereotype. I hope you're proud of the damage you caused.
Better than that the "Australian" stereotype. If one more person tells me to put a Shrimp on the Barbie, in a Steve Irwin-esque voice, I will stab a *****.
G'day mate! About time to throw another shrimp on the barbie, innit? Crikey! Stingrays!

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
USSR said:
I swear, no one has a sense of humor anymore.
USSR, humour largely departed in the great fun and jolly purge of 1998. The politically correct vanguard paved the way, and many saw what they preached to be truth.

And jthm, "struth, stone the flaming crows, bonza mate". As an Australian I too hate the supposed slang in circulation. Bloody bogans, doesn't anyone understand rural/urban divisions and the change in language of age cohorts?

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
BuchalBainne said:
As I stated above, the Herald isn't very popular here and they tend to publish a lot of shite. :)
Would you classify it to be the FOX News of Ireland?
Ironically, I used a stereotype =o

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Jbird said:
Radelaide said:
Jbird said:

Forgive me if this may come off as being annoying, but I've always been curious about how an Australian thought of the Crocodile Dundee films. I understand that the actor was a comedian at one point.]
Personally, I don't mind him, but I hate being compared with the whole... idea he represents. We're not all like that. Some are, but not all.

jthm said:
Radelaide said:
Jbird said:

G'day mate! About time to throw another shrimp on the barbie, innit? Crikey! Stingrays!
...I warned you. *stalks*

(Also, "innit?" is English, not Australian. There IS a difference.)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im more surprised the mexicans arnt complaining, I mean so far every char in mexico is as stereotypical of a western as Ive ever seen, the army is full of rapists and the revolutionaries are the perpetual victims

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
They don't really have a right to complain, when they devote an entire holiday to drinking. You reap what you sow. xD

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
It jus' be a game. Those lot need to get their heads out their bullocks and accept that Rockstar likes to make blokes out of everyone.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
BudZer said:
RJ Dalton said:
The Irish are upset about stereotypes, are they? Well, just buy them some Guinness and they'll be alright.
You make me sick. You really do. I'll stop there, but oh, I would love to continue.
Tums? It'll help.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
So Americans can be stereotyped as bow-legged, lawless, loose cannons, but Irish can't be drunk?...huh. I suppose it's a wee bit like calling the lad who you throw at enemy buildings to blow them up an 'Arab', but I don't see what's so wrong with this. The old West was a rascist, if totally romanticized, era. I don't see what's wrong with a little 'historical accuracy' ;P

theincurabletragedy

Feb 22, 2010
johnman said:
Nobody cares what the Irish think (thats probably the English in me speaking though). They are portrayed as drunks in all media, this is'nt the first or last time it will happen. That episode of Family guy for example portrayed all Irishmen as drunken catholic wife beaters.

Dancingman

Aug 15, 2008
It's the Wild West what did you expect? Irish people were lumped in with blacks and Asians back then, and since when are Irish people supposed to be immune to alcoholism?

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Irish to stuck up to make fun at their own stereotype?

I make fun of Australia's all the time. |: