Red Dead Redemption Upsets the Irish

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Flamezdudes said:
AMMO Kid said:
I hope they don't just remove the character of Irish, I hope they remove all the missions you have to do for him too. Also maybe they will remove that annoying Seth and West Dickins if I complain about them...
I don't see how you could find them annoying, they were great characters!
I agree, though I found myself wondering if I'd ever get any help from West Dickinson. I was very sympathetic to John's irritation with him. But again, I guess that's just a testament to how believable he was as a character.

vulkman

May 25, 2010
Pffffft...

I'm German and I just laughed at the character of "Herr Muller". Them Irish folks should really stop crying and start playing...

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
We say no to Irish drunkards. I hereby declare the 25th of may as the official "Draw Irish Day".

We had enough...

hey_iknowyou

Dec 24, 2008
I'm Irish and this is the first I've heard of this whole "controversy". Just to clarify, I don't know of a single person who would take offence to this, just because some dick in the media complains about it doesn't make it the concensus of the general population. I couldn't care less about something like this, I do get pissed off when people start complaining about stupid crap like this though.

Also, I've been trying to get my hands on Red Dead Redemption for the last couple of days now and it appears to be sold out everywhere so clearly the Irish gaming community are not snubbing the game.

Benjamin Grin

Apr 22, 2009
I'd just like to say that the Herald is a rag, a tabloid, and doesn't speak for all of us. Most of us are more reasonable than that, and understand that the rest of you are all too willing to accept that when we're not drunk we're fighting. We have accepted it.

In truth, people here, as everywhere, drink to excess. It seems to be the way of things now.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
AMMO Kid said:
I hope they don't just remove the character of Irish, I hope they remove all the missions you have to do for him too. Also maybe they will remove that annoying Seth and West Dickins if I complain about them...
I don't see how you could find them annoying, they were great characters!
One time I finished a mission and West Dickens stayed on the map - so I naturally aim my gun at him to see if I could shoot him for fun. Well, he obviously didn't take that very well and unzipped his pants and started to pee on me...so obviously I have great dislike for him...

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
Heh, it's curious how everyone gets upset when his or her country or heritage gets insulted, but we Belgians never complained about anything.

Jofrak

May 25, 2008
BudZer said:
Remember when everyone got really upset over this:

But now are defending THIS with a passion:

Goes to show you that people are far more willing to jump to the defense of a race like the blacks instead of the Irish because we just "don't have a sense of humor."
Strange that ... considering we're funnier than just about everyone.

Paularius

May 25, 2010
As an irish guy I have to stand up and say I have no idea whats wrong with the fella that came up with this complaint.
A drunken irishman... whats new?
Im pretty sure you'd have to look far and wide to find someone who was offended by this.
(aslong as you dont look in the herald it seems (rubbish paper anyway))

Ungenericteen

Feb 1, 2010
I know sometimes a group(nation, race, poltical party, career, ect.) has to be demonized for a realistic modern/historical game, but this seems like being prejudice for the hell of it, Rockstar is used to getting away with it. When a person does this it becomes "racist" but when a company does it it's a "joke". I am Irish(and the rest of europe is there to and native american) so I do take offense in games making a drunk irishman, because they can! What if an Irish deveoper made a game with a fatass, dumb, ignorant, and rude american character how would you U.S citzen's react.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Rock star games, GTA mainly, use a ton of stereotypes. They do it as satire. They make fun of them. Every white guy in the games are either:
A- A cop.
B- A crooked Cop.
C- A politician.
D- A crooked politician.

The joke was in bad taste, maybe more so than most of the other stereo types, I agree. The character was also annoying. But come on, its a game.

Paularius

May 25, 2010
Isnt the whole game one big stereotype?
I mean its stereotyping cowboys ffs.
One lone irish guy is no big deal.
You cant say 'You shouldnt stereotype us. its not fair.' but not give a damn about all the rest of the stereotyping in the game.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
It's already been said, but for the record, while we may not like the idea of being stereotyped. The truth is, that some of them are spot on, now before your panties get all twisted there are exceptions, but look at it, look at it, don't lie and tell me you don't know somebody who meets a racial stereotype. I do and beside like one of the guys above me said this is a game about the wild west, none of the characters are going to be a shining beacon of progressive human intelligence