Remember Me Review - Sadly Forgettable

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
It still tickles me how strongly they fought for their female protagonist, a casual person instead of the super heroine with sex appeal as part of the character....then the bottom half of the box art is just HER ASS....NICE ONE, ALL MY HIGH FIVES FOR YOUR INTEGRITY.....ya goofs.

soitgoes19

Jul 8, 2012
I'm still planning on giving the game a chance - the setting and storyline hooked me - but I'm going to wait for the price to drop to 40. I can't justify spending 60 on something without a lot of replay value. I've enjoyed plenty of games that are linear though, as well as games that only received average reviews.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Awww...how disappointing. I was looking forward to this game. Oh well, I'm sure I'll still get it but it'll be a $20 max game.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Tenmar said:
Anyone else thought this would of been a better game if they went in the path of Heavy Rain?
No. Every video game is better off being not like Heavy Rain, even Heavy Rain would have been...

Anyway I will stick with Remember Me because the whole packet seems still interesting enough for me. And everything else atm seems pretty ?meehhh?.
Kinda interesting though to see so many disappointed people. I mean video gameplay demonstrations of this game have been around basically since its announcement.
This review does not reveal anything that I couldn't have already told from those videos.

As far as scores go I personally don't give a fuck about them but slightly above average is usually considered to be still recommendable to fans of the genre or subject matter.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
It doesn't sound that bad to me. I mean, Dishonored's setting was way more interesting than its main plot, and that game was still really good. I doubt Remember Me will have as much replay value as Dishonored, but that's okay, neither did Tomb Raider.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
ritchards said:
The problem I can see is that any failure of this game will be trumpeted by some as a failure due to playing a female protagonist.
I'm afraid of that as well. Mediocre reviews, short playtime, not much marketing (I think) - but should it not sell well, it'll surely be the female protagonist's fault.

ProfMcStevie said:
It still tickles me how strongly they fought for their female protagonist, a casual person instead of the super heroine with sex appeal as part of the character....then the bottom half of the box art is just HER ASS....NICE ONE, ALL MY HIGH FIVES FOR YOUR INTEGRITY.....ya goofs.
Yea, that does indeed send an ambiguous message.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
RipVanTinkle said:
Criticism I don't agree with:

- The combat system being similar to that of Arkham Asylum. Forgive me if I'm off base, but wasn't that particular combat system largely praised by gamers?

- "Serviceable platforming" - at least it isn't broken. Personally, I wouldn't consider that a point to mark the game down.

- Notifications guiding the player forward progress - A feature which is largely included in most games these days.

- Memory remixing: It may not function perfectly, but I'm intrigued by the concept and can even forgive the downfall of the gameplay mechanics used to manipulate the system. Sounds like fun to me.

- "An interesting big-idea sci-fi setting cannot hold the whole game together"

I have to fully disagree. Personally, I'm reminded of Bioshock. The setting enhanced the game and served to drive the gameplay forward while roping you into the story and atmosphere. Bioshock would be nothing without Rapture/Columbia. Spec Ops: The Line would be nothing without the meta-narrative and Captain Walker.
Yes, I meant that Arkham Asylum and Uncharted we examples of these mechanics and systems being at their best and Remember Me wasn't doing them as well. Those specific aspects of Remember Me's combat mechanics worked well, the repetitious enemies without other means of dispatching or subverting and the broken combo system dragged it down.

The whole issue of only serviceable platforming, guiding the player and exploration all go hand in hand for me. Instead of feeling like your in this world, it's just busy work to move you to the next fight arena. Push control stick in direction of arrow and press A until another wide open fight room appears, rinse and repeat.

I don't disagree with you on setting, which makes me think you're misinterpreting my point. BioShock is good setting and good gameplay. Remember Me is good setting and bad gameplay. A single weight won't balance out the scales on either end, at least for this specific genre.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
Slycne said:
Yes, I meant that Arkham Asylum and Uncharted we examples of these mechanics and systems being at their best and Remember Me wasn't doing them as well. Those specific aspects of Remember Me's combat mechanics worked well, the repetitious enemies without other means of dispatching or subverting and the broken combo system dragged it down.

The whole issue of only serviceable platforming, guiding the player and exploration all go hand in hand for me. Instead of feeling like your in this world, it's just busy work to move you to the next fight arena. Push control stick in direction of arrow and press A until another wide open fight room appears, rinse and repeat.

I don't disagree with you on setting, which makes me think you're misinterpreting my point. BioShock is good setting and good gameplay. Remember Me is good setting and bad gameplay. A single weight won't balance out the scales on either end, at least for this specific genre.
I mentioned in a previous post that I could be devastatingly wrong, however, you have played the game and I have not.
So I can definitely respect your informed analysis and viewpoints. :)

Although personally, I put greater emphasis on setting, story and themes over gameplay. While there should obviously be a standard of good and polished gameplay. I tend to be very forgiving and work with functioning gameplay while I get wrapped up in the world.

It's disappointing to hear about the repetitious nature of the game's enemy variation and exploitative combat.

All in all, I appreciate the reply and more insight from you. I do hope that I did not come across as hostile in my previous message, forgive me if that was the case, that truly was not my intention.

Admittedly, I had high-hopes for the game. To be safe, would you recommend that this is a game that should drop in price before purchasing? Again, thank you for the reply. :)

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
RipVanTinkle said:
All in all, I appreciate the reply and more insight from you. I do hope that I did not come across as hostile in my previous message, forgive me if that was the case, that truly was not my intention.

Admittedly, I had high-hopes for the game. To be safe, would you recommend that this is a game that should drop in price before purchasing? Again, thank you for the reply. :)
No worries, just want to make sure everyone has a clear understanding before they do or don't make a purchase.

Value is always hard to nail down because it fluctuates from person to person, and that's usually where it helps to find reviewers that share similar appreciations as your own. I think it's perfectly reasonable to like and purchase a game that's only 3/5. For instance, I have a quite irrational adoration for the old Robotech: Battlecry game despite that being mostly reviewed in the mixed to average range. As I alluded at the end of the review, I think Remember Me is in the rent or wait for it to go on sale bag. With so many other great games out there, I think that those gaming dollars can be better spent until the price aligns closer to the value of the experience.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
nodlimax said:
What a wasted opportunity....

I actually wanted to buy it, because the concept looked interesting and I like female protagonists as well. But after having watched a few gameplay videos I was concerned that the game could be repetitive and boring. Well it looks like the concerns were justified.

No buy from me and one more game after which publishers are probably going to say that female protagonists aren't working.....

Of course it's never the game itself....
Dang, took the words right out of my mouth. I've been following this for a while, seemed like it'd push my particular buttons, but... I dunno, guess I'll wait for a price drop.

Personally, when I see a game with a female protagonist, it piques my interest. I'm tired of generic caucasian male shoots everything and wins - in fact, I never found it interesting in the first place. It's so omnipresent that anything that looks like it might buck the trend merits a look from me. It's a shame that if this doesn't do well, it'll be blamed on the female protagonist. Alas.

Dec 14, 2009
MattAn24 said:
...Why do people instantly and blindly believe everything a reviewer says as law? Just because a reviewer thinks it isn't omg10/10preorderatgamestopdoritosmountaindew!!!1111oneone!111, doesn't mean you automatically have to as well!

Mindless sheep...
You...

You just said that, with no trace of irony whatsoever...

Oh dear.

Look what you did! Why would you do that!

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
So 7/10's aren't worth peoples' time anymore?
Due to the prices games are being sold at, it's sad but true. If I could drop $60 for an average game that's only 8 hours I'd love to, but I can't.

I hate when a publisher takes a risk and it doesn't pay off. Capcom took a risk picking this IP up when no one else would and I was REALLY hoping they could us it as a "See, sometimes it pays to take a risk!" Even with the average reviews I still would buy the game, if just to show my support for Capcom taking a risk, but since the game is so short and little replay value I simply can't afford it.

The game slightly reminded me of P.N.03 when I first saw it. Now the reviews are similar also. :(

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
MattAn24 said:
Random Argument Man said:
AH! That title!

It's sad that it's a forgettable game. I foresee that Capcom will use its excuse "Female leads don't sell video games" to justify the sales if they're poor. It's never "We made a bad game".

Aaahhh...sad.
Capcom didn't make it. DONTNOD did. Capcom merely published it when countless other publishers literally refused because it had a female lead character, and supposedly those don't sell.

Don't care, preordered on Steam because fuck what society and reviewers think.
Well if it's good, let me know. I usually wait for a general feedback. Still, sometimes I can be surprised.

Thank you for clarifying about Capcom and publishing.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I was hoping this game would be better, and it is hard to ascertain considering the reviews from various sites are all over the place. My spare cash is already reserved for The Last of Us anyway, but I definitely see purchasing this game in the future, once the price drops a bit. The fighting mechanic interested me from when I saw the first demo, and if I can enjoy Dragon Age 2 with all it's repetitiveness, then this will probably be in the same ballpark.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Americans are like this. They keep whining their toys are always the same, but when they get a new one, they get scared and run back to the good old tit.

I will buy and play Remember Me even if I have to be buttraped by the devil himself when doing so, just for the sake of playing a new IP that doesn't stink of deathly design by committee.

iRevanchist

Jun 11, 2011
getting it regardless. even if the combat sucks, the story looks really interesting, and I will do my damndest to support well-written female protagonists. I just hope these reviews don't scare off the industry from making more:
a) original IP
b) creative storylines (aka, not WWII/middle east/soviet plotline)
c) female/non-white/non-american protagonists

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
As everybody else is saying here, this game is just another reason for guy's in suits to reject game's with female protagonists. Oh well, setting my expectations accordingly, at least my money is going towards statistics that a game with a female protagonist can sell, because if there is anything a suit loves more its an easy sell.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
I'm about an hour in and very much enjoying it so far. I wouldn't mind a bit more exploration, but I don't think I'd want it to be a completely open world sandbox either. Those types of games tend to remove any sense of urgency I feel in regards to the plot, with maybe some exceptions. I'm finding the combat to be far more enjoyable than I expected. Breaking combos to dodge incoming attacks is nice and fluid, and pulling off combos feels pretty satisfying.

The scenery is absolutely gorgeous, so far there's been something interesting to see in every screen. It seems well optimized for PC, too. I don't have the best graphics card (GTX 560ti) but I'm running it on high settings without a hitch. The voice acting is actually quite solid, far better than I expected from some of the trailers anyway. I am enjoying the plot quite a bit, but it should be noted that I'm a sucker for cyberpunk.

Considering how short it apparently is, I could understand not wanting to pay the full price. Luckily I got a good deal from green man gaming, so the $37 I paid for it seems fair.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
The "I'm the hunter" line...I really hope that isn't in the actual game. It sounds so cliche and stupid. It makes for a great trailer soundbite, but really, people don't say things like that in real life.

Well, unless they are being ironic, or explaining some master plan. But certainly not when they are on the run and referencing themselves...it just comes across as so egotistical.