Review: Halo Wars

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
lizards said:
no an rts is about tactics you dont need to tell your soldiers to throw a grenade because they should without you telling them to
But if you don't suck you will tell them how, when and where to throw the grenade. Welcome to Micro Managing, it's how you win at big boy RTS.

Th3 Sh00ter

Jan 8, 2009
palmcrusher said:
God this game is a joke. You cant play rts on consoles. You need the precision of a mouse and the speed of a keyboard for the game to not insanely slow and boring. This game would fail hard if it didn't have halo plastered on the cover to lure all the fan boys into a crap ass game.
Have you played the demo or are you just saying this from an expirence with another console RTS?

If you know what you are doing Halo Wars can be very fun. Dont bash on a game you have NEVER played.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
I expect there to be a lot of people buying this game on release day then a week later them returning it. If that does happen I win the bet with my local game store.
Quite frankly I'll wait for a PC port because there is no way I'm going to play this with the 360's horrible D-Pad.

FrozenroadkiIl

Feb 20, 2009
the writen reveiw was just a bash on counsle RTS but i played halo wars and had no promblem managing large amounts of troops but that's just me video supplement was better

FrozenroadkiIl

Feb 20, 2009
Darkjigglypuff said:
I honestly don't see why people think RTS controls are better on PC, I feel more comfortable with a controller than hunchbacked over a keyboard with my fingers flying about it like a riddelin-junkie having a seizure. I don't see anything that a mouse can do any better than the left thumbstick, It's not like mouses can move in an extra dimension or something.

Halo Wars was designed from the ground up FOR the console, and any PC port it had would be shit.
agreed

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Acidburn50 said:
However I am actually more displeased with Susan Art as I believe she calls herself. I am not a women hater and just think that your site is making a mistake when you let her give her piece on anything. It was very clear that not only was she not an RTS fan but i couldnt even find much evidence of her being a fan of video games in general.
Really? She hates video games? You must have not watched he other reviews. Reality Check: Some games are bad and she gets stuck with them.
Acidburn50 said:
site with so many good things to offer should not let some dull little Troll cowering behind a mouse and keyboard with no real grasp on what fun is and how that equivelates to video games go anywhere near your sites reviews because up and untill this point I actually respected your sites reiviews very much and thought they wouldnt steer me in the wrong direction but now I have been proven so very very wrong.
Before you go calling her a Troll... Wait no, just no. You do not have the right to call her a troll especially since you only have 3 posts. I really hope you didn't mean that, because well you could call Yahtzee a troll and $50 says you don't call him a troll when he bashes a game you were really looking forward to.
Like Yahtzee says "reviews shouldn't get to you" It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.

WIUtomato

Oct 18, 2008
If we could get back to the main topic... Having only tried the demo, I have to admit, I rather enjoyed halo wars. Perhaps my problem is I don't play RTS games. at all. I only gave it a shot b/c its going to be a part of the halo storyline, I admit, I'm a bit of a halo fan boy, but I agree, the controls were sticky at best, but it was fun to mess around with, so maybe it should be looked at as an RTS for us console-tards rather than a legitimate attempt to make a "real" RTS... ah, who knows!

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Bad review, and I'd like to think this more rhan the fanboy inside me speaking. No, wait, I can prove you didn't do your reasearch.

For a series that probably never had an RTS in mind, the standard roster of Covenant and UNSC units are well adapted to this style of gameplay.
*facepalm*

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
hey, it's not as bad as some of you are making it out to be. for what it is, it's pretty good, and it works, although i agree that the controls will never be as good as a keyboard and mouse combo, for one, there is no Shift+Click command, which makes micro management quite difficult.

we still only have the demo in the UK, but it's pretty good. i know i'm going to buy a copy, because, as i said; for it is, it is pretty solid. it's pretty, and it works

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
Having finally got round to playing the demo, I find it hard to believe you couldn't get used to the controls after 10-15 hours. The fact that I didn't even do the first mission is testimony to the simplicity of the controls(we started up the demo and nature called so I started at the begining of the second mission).Simple control scheme aside, I must find my own faults with the game, it does appear to be quite simple and with only 2 very similar races, I must say that there isn't much room for strategy, but a co-op story line? Amazing Cinematics? Excellent control scheme? Fantastic soundtrack? I will be picking this game up for certain.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Bad review, and I'd like to think this more rhan the fanboy inside me speaking. No, wait, I can prove you didn't do your reasearch.

For a series that probably never had an RTS in mind, the standard roster of Covenant and UNSC units are well adapted to this style of gameplay.
*facepalm*
lol, pwned! Jordan doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Not even in the least. He probably hates consoles and halo which is why he hated the very thought of using a controller in an RTS and why he said something as stupid as that.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
Geo Da Sponge said:

*facepalm*
lol, pwned! Jordan doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Not even in the least. He probably hates consoles and halo which is why he hated the very thought of using a controller in an RTS and why he said something as stupid as that.
I wouldn't go that far...

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Undead Dragon King said:
I've always said that RTS's are PC-only territory, and it seems that I'm now vindicated by Halo Wars.
You weren't vindicated by the N64 port of Starcraft?

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Just for the hell of it, i'm going to say...

BUMP. LOL.

anyway, getting the game early, I have to say, most of these points are correct. The controls are easy, but feels like you're missing a button or two, you have all the iconic halo units, but it feels like you're missing a certain unit, the story sucked, if you are a halo fan(which I am) dont play the campaign for the story, play it for the cinematics(sp), and to end my personal five second review, the AI seems pretty stupid sometimes...

even on Legendary, the AI will sometimes be a little thick.

Does it mean I hate the game? No. I very much enjoy it, and wish ES the best.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Eipok Kruden said:
Geo Da Sponge said:

*facepalm*
I wouldn't go that far...
Well, it seems like his only major gripe with the game was that it wasn't on the PC. He said he never really got the hang of the controls, not even after 15 hours. I (and many others) loved the controls and got really familiar with them after less than an hour. He's probably just not too familiar with the controller or he just doesn't want to enjoy it because he has the belief that RTS games can only be good with a mouse and keyboard.