Rumor: Leaked Concept Art Hints at New Valve IP

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Looks vaguely sci-fi/space themed from some of those character concept sketches. Some of the middle range of pics look like actual headshots that have been manipulated a bit... I know Valve likes to use actual human faces for their character models (see the Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar book for examples).

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
believer258 said:
Now, you're planning a new IP? YOU'RE PUTTING MORE MANPOWER INTO DIFFERENT GAMES? I WANT TO SEE THE CONCLUSION TO THE GAMES THAT GOT YOU STARTED! I mean, really, WHAT THE FUCK are you thinking? At least motherfucking finish the game! Gabe's finally made enough money to fill his doughnut quota, so I can understand that there's no financial incentive to finish it, but at least show us a demo or something that proves that you've been doing more than picking your noses since Episode 2? Don't follow Duke Nukem Forever's example! Fucking make the game already!
!
Ah, whoever thought that we would see the day when reasonable intelligent gamers would scream at a company for releasing a new IP instead of chugging out another sequel...

Now if you'll excuse me...

*ahem*

Fuck you Gabe! I'll burn your house down! Where the fuck is my EP3? ARRRGGGHHH!

*ahem*

I guess that's my daily quota fulfilled.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Redlin5 said:
The Rockerfly said:
Not a single post of episode 3 yet? Escapist community I am disappointed at you
I just got here, don't hurt me!

OT: Hmm... Well, I wouldn't mind a new IP but I can't say I like that style...
Get to it man, demand episode 3 they might release it unexpectedly in a just "fuck it" style
[HEADING=2]OMG YOU GUYZ, STOP TALKING ABOUT TEH SHITTY CONCEPT CRAP AND RESUME DEMANDING EPISODE 3!!!!1111!!!![/HEADING]

In all seriousness though, I'm not fixated on Half life. It will come when it comes and it will be amazing. I'm down with another Valve brand series coming out.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Glad to see I wasn't the only one to immediately think "Why hello there cross-dressing Hitler. How are you today?" when I saw the first pic.

I'm pretty interested in this. I hope it is new IP, because from what I can make of it (weird looking humans and space-ships) it looks like something to do with a post-human (or at least what we think of as humans) sci-fi IP. Which really intrigues me.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Looks like concept art for some kind of bizarre sci-fi themed fashion show.

I doubt any of it is even associated with Valve, but color me intrigued nonetheless. I'll be interested to see how pregnant women and people with misshapen heads factor into their new game.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
They could finally be getting around to making <link=http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Prospero>Prospero, which was one of the game ideas that they were kicking around before the original Half Life was released. The article I linked said that the game was partially inspired by the art of Jorge Luis Borges, and a quick google image search turns up a lot of caricatures with messed up proportions, similar to what is shown in the concept art. Gabe Newell said that they might start working on it after finishing TF2, and this may be a sign that they've been doing just that.

Edit: Apparently, Borges was an author, not an artist; however, the stuff he wrote was pretty darned weird, and may still be an influence on the concept art we're seeing.

Edit Edit: Looks like I was ninja'd twice over on the idea. Nice to see that it's not just me being crazy...

lastwanderer

Cyber Agent
Jan 29, 2011
alien like things, mutated humans,and spaceships a possible valve mass effect like space opera?

hhhhhmmmmmmmm well valve JUST TAKE MY MONEY, TAKE IT ALL NOW jUST GIVE IT TO ME PLEASE

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
I think these drawings looked cool, kinda reminded me of Dreamfall... but whatever valve be done with episode 3 already rararar...

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Oh boy! Waifey androgynous emo characters! Has Valve signed on to make the next installment of Final Fantasy!?

the last guy in pic 12 looks to be wearing the Portal spring stilt dealies kind of.

Also, get to work on the next chapter of Half Life instead, you jerks (unless it's already done and you've just been holding it back to market other things, which is entirely possible).

D4rkLigh7

Feb 12, 2009
I don't want a new game from Valve other than Half Life 2: Episode 3. Anything else is just wasting time and resources on what could be used to hurry up Half Life 2: Episode 3.

Balaxe

Mar 24, 2009
I bet there fake and Valve just showed the pictures to them as a joke.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
believer258 said:
I hope you finished my post - I did say that I wasn't actually that pissed about it. I'm slightly annoyed, but my feelings toward EP3 are starting to lean toward "apathetic" because frankly, I don't have enough fucks to give over an old videogame series that should have ended last year.
No worries mate, I read your entire post. I was kidding along the same line, especially since I myself said a few days back...

Raiyan 1.0 said:
HL3 is kind of like Homeworld 3 to me. Relic still hasn't released Homeworld 3 yet - but I don't hate them for it. My life doesn't revolve around it, and I've a lot of other games to try out. I'll be extremely happy when it is released, though.
believer258 said:
You do make a very interesting point, though. Many of the people that ***** about Call of Duty every year are the same ones screaming for HL2E3. Granted, Half-Life's aren't released once a year, but still...
Nostalgia really has a lot to do with it. Half Life is the favorite FPS franchise of a lot of people, and I guess they would like to see some closure to the story. And amidst the market saturated with military shooters, a few FPS titles like Half Life and Bioshock are a breath of fresh air.

I personally am more interested in HL3 than Ep3. HL2 was radically different from HL1, and I'm really curious what direction Valve would take if they ever bother with a sequel.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Look..interesting, i like the art style of more or less deformed characters.

If i was to guess basing purely on those few concept's it feels like some some nod towards UFO subject, maybe even akin to X-COM setting more more grim and grotesque with a bit of retro-futuristic approach. The style of the concept art reminds me of early sci-fi movies where aliens were often presented as humanoids with deformed heads.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Maybe it's something to do with the next evolutionary stage of our species? That would explain why the heads are so...fucked. Bigger brains.

But meh, I doubt it's real.

Episode 3 please.