Rumor: Next Elder Scrolls Game to be set 200 Years After Oblivion

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
AndyFromMonday said:
Naturalized said:
NO. No no no.

This a very bad idea. Elder scrolls does not need guns that is Fallout's niche not ES.
It's only 200 years...It's not like TES's going to be futuristic or anything. The most you can hope for are muskets.
I think muskets and flintlock pistols would be something for the Assassins of the game. I mean, having to reload a black powder musket takes more time than it would take for a Mudcrab to kill you. Assassins, however, could behave like 18th century assassins: get semi-close to you, fire one shot into your head and run away. That'd be interesting to play, specially if having your weapon drawn arouses suspicion.

Also, perhaps we can get grenades (keep in mind, these wouldn't be frag grenades, just cast iron balls with a fuse)

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Not a lot you can do in 200 years? How about war of 1812 between Canada and the USA all the way to the internet, man on the moon etc?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I think a number of you could have it wrong. You could make the case that what almost defines itself as a social class structure of mages might very well spur technological growth. The musket would become the simple mans defense against the person who would simply throw a fireball in his face.

Also this kind of technology has plenty of reasons to still be developed by the military. Imagine a medieval battlefield, but insert magic casters into the scenario. Magic being as devastating as it could be to an army means that your casters will largely be tasked with countering that magic to keep your troops safe. So the occasional big fireball might get through, but ideally you would have mages simply canceling each other out to keep from whole armies being wiped out. So the military would still seek to find ways to make their foot soldier more deadly.

It's also a fantasy time line, the same logic that says it doesn't have to follow ours also means it could advance faster or even sideways.

I'm certainly not accounting for every detail or likely scenario, I just wanted to point out that I wouldn't be so quick to discount it. If they did go the technological advancement route, a potentially interesting take would be to insert the dueling sides ala Rise of Legends or Arcanum.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Does this really matter? This isn't the earth. Theres no period of time between monarchies and gunpowder. The game makers could add another ten thousand years and not have running water if they wanted to.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Magic powered crossbows!
Think about that. Your a wizard that wants one of his teammates who doesn't have any skill points in magic to be able to attack targets with fire when your not around. So you take some normal bolts give them to a wizard who will make some fire based, water based or some other element.

I want to see inspired advances in magic not just guns. people being able to take some rubble off the ground, charge it with healing magic and give it to your co-op team so they don't have to waste their expensive magic potions until they really need to.

Or a wizard being able to create his own starves/wands charged with magic... Like say a pack of wizards get together and empower stealth skills to different pieces of clothing, giving it to their thief who already have strong stealth skills. Now he's invisible but if the warrior wears that has no stealth skills he's a grey ghost.

All of you seem to be thinking that in 200 years they are going to get guns. I'm thinking in 200 years magic is going to be more accessible to those who don't got it.

Fritzvalt

Amazing Human Being
May 12, 2009
It could go in a similar direction as Arcanum did. I thought that was a really cool game and would do really well in a TES game.

Either that, or a racial rebellion. I always liked the subtle racism in that world and thought they could do much more with it.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Assassinator said:
Sevre90210 said:
Expect a 2011 release, and a PC upgrade too.
2011? Hah, 2012+ I'd say, plus I'll go for the console version most probably because I won't buy a new PC for quite a few years. I really enjoyed Oblivion on my 360, and I never really bother with mods anyway so I'll be fine.
Ah but you'll miss out on starting a new game with Command Prompt, who needs a lockpick when you have the tilde key?

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
[zonking great said:
]
johnman said:
Logar_Ithme said:
Oblivion with guns! :D
You mean Fallout 3?
In morrowind the Dwarfs already had masses of steam machinery, in Oblivion they just had some empty stone corridors.....
Screw you, pal. Fallout 3 is not Oblivion with guns. Just because it used the same engine, doesn't mean it's the same. Big fat middle finger to you.
Ooooo touched a nerve there...
From what I experianced it was pretty much the same, hence why I could'nt play it for more than 10 hours without serial bordom encroaching.

And I aint your Pal friend :0

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
My guess is that the only thing which advanced during those 200 years was time. KOTOR was set 4000 years before the movies. You weren't swinging lightsabers in loinclothes, now were you?

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I don't much care when it takes place but lets hope the people learned to be less stiff ater 200 years....

notsosavagemessiah

Jul 23, 2009
odubya23 said:
notsosavagemessiah said:
And it still won't be as good as fallout 3 was. BRING THE FLAME!!!
You and I have a different definition of "good".
Well, I go by the dictionary's definition, odds are you do too because the dictionary defines something that is good as being "agreeable, pleasant, or adequate and satisfactory". But if your definition is something else, then clearly you mean, "aimless, complex for no real purpose, without streamline".

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
I'm expecting some Steampunk, but being realistic, there's not a lot you can do in 200 years. Maybe nicer gear, that's it.
The United States begs to differ.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Jandau said:
Perhaps in the 200 years the world of Cyrodil managed to become slightly more interesting and now amounts to more than a really big green meadow...
Play Morrowind. Cyrodill is not the world, its just the main country.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Naturalized said:
NO. No no no.

This a very bad idea. Elder scrolls does not need guns that is Fallout's niche not ES.

EDIT: for clarity. I believe that with that type of year gap they can't help but bring guns and shit into it and that is not good
Well, considering that after thousands of years and still no guns, it might not. Tamriel hasnt actually advanced much technologically, only politically and civily.

SpectreT65

Aug 26, 2009
K. Here's my $0.02:

If Beth's making TES V or even has plans to, I hope they listen to the backlash they got on their very own boards regarding the "streamlining" they did between Morrowind and Oblivious... er, Oblivion.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Oblivion, had some fun there, but it was missing something. Sorry, but the skills and muscles used to swing a mace are nothing like the same movements one would have to make with an axe, and don't get me started on the difference in fighting styles between a claymore and a gladius. Can't dumb that down to "blades" and "blunt" - just doesn't fly.

Speaking of not flying, I'm guessing it was Havok physics that spelled the end of crossbows (Morrowind had them, and shuriken as well) with its... interesting physics. I'm sure all of us who've played Oblivion and/or Fallout 3 have more than our fair share of funny "Twitching Corpse" or explosively flyaway skeleton stories. Imagine a crossbow displaying enough stopping power to send a bull elephant ricocheting all over the dungeon. Funny once, and if it's intentional, like a magic effect, I could get a ton of laugh mileage out of it, but if you had to tweak an engine enough so that that doesn't happen with an unadulterated crossbow...

Anyway, my point is, I hope they don't dumb it down to three skills: "Stabit", "Shootit" and "Magicit"