Rumor: Next Elder Scrolls Game to be set 200 Years After Oblivion

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
SpectreT65 said:
K. Here's my $0.02:

If Beth's making TES V or even has plans to, I hope they listen to the backlash they got on their very own boards regarding the "streamlining" they did between Morrowind and Oblivious... er, Oblivion.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Oblivion, had some fun there, but it was missing something. Sorry, but the skills and muscles used to swing a mace are nothing like the same movements one would have to make with an axe, and don't get me started on the difference in fighting styles between a claymore and a gladius. Can't dumb that down to "blades" and "blunt" - just doesn't fly.

Speaking of not flying, I'm guessing it was Havok physics that spelled the end of crossbows (Morrowind had them, and shuriken as well) with its... interesting physics. I'm sure all of us who've played Oblivion and/or Fallout 3 have more than our fair share of funny "Twitching Corpse" or explosively flyaway skeleton stories. Imagine a crossbow displaying enough stopping power to send a bull elephant ricocheting all over the dungeon. Funny once, and if it's intentional, like a magic effect, I could get a ton of laugh mileage out of it, but if you had to tweak an engine enough so that that doesn't happen with an unadulterated crossbow...

Anyway, my point is, I hope they don't dumb it down to three skills: "Stabit", "Shootit" and "Magicit"
Realism vs Fun, Fun better win. I do want the varied weapon skills back, but it wont bother me if I dont use an axe like in real life. (Unless you meant the varied damage way also in Morrowind, where stabbing with a mace hurt less than bashing)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Kiutu said:
Jandau said:
Perhaps in the 200 years the world of Cyrodil managed to become slightly more interesting and now amounts to more than a really big green meadow...
Play Morrowind. Cyrodill is not the world, its just the main country.
I did play Morrowind and the game world there was vastly more interesting than in Oblivion. Hopefully, they will go for something more exotic like the locales in Morrowind. However, I'm doubtful...

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Jandau said:
Kiutu said:
Jandau said:
Perhaps in the 200 years the world of Cyrodil managed to become slightly more interesting and now amounts to more than a really big green meadow...
Play Morrowind. Cyrodill is not the world, its just the main country.
I did play Morrowind and the game world there was vastly more interesting than in Oblivion. Hopefully, they will go for something more exotic like the locales in Morrowind. However, I'm doubtful...
Most likely they will not go back to Cyrodiil, and if they do, expect another province too.

SpectreT65

Aug 26, 2009
Kiutu said:
Realism vs Fun, Fun better win. I do want the varied weapon skills back, but it won't bother me if I don't use an axe like in real life. (Unless you meant the varied damage way also in Morrowind, where stabbing with a mace hurt less than bashing)
Exactly what I was talking about, in that respect, anyway. Though Morrowind had an "Always use best attack" checkbox, there was the option to poke at something with a hammer if you felt like being silly.

Morrowind had its shortcomings, as well, the land of a thousand "wiff"s, where you swung dead on target, but missed entirely, because your skill number wasn't high enough. I liked how instead of "wiff"ing, you did less damage if your skill was low in Oblivion.

joeychuckles

Feb 25, 2009
I'd like to see a wider variety of armor - it'd be nice to have some variety in design (I hate showing up to the party in the same daedric suit as everyone else).

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
SpectreT65 said:
Kiutu said:
Realism vs Fun, Fun better win. I do want the varied weapon skills back, but it won't bother me if I don't use an axe like in real life. (Unless you meant the varied damage way also in Morrowind, where stabbing with a mace hurt less than bashing)
Exactly what I was talking about, in that respect, anyway. Though Morrowind had an "Always use best attack" checkbox, there was the option to poke at something with a hammer if you felt like being silly.

Morrowind had its shortcomings, as well, the land of a thousand "wiff"s, where you swung dead on target, but missed entirely, because your skill number wasn't high enough. I liked how instead of "wiff"ing, you did less damage if your skill was low in Oblivion.
Technically speaking, Oblivion was better, but thats just new tech for ya. Morrowind was better content wise though. I, and many others, want much of the content from Morrowind back, but still the advancements of Oblivion (and newer ones).

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I hope they don't make it too much like Fable, but then again, Dragon Age Origins seems to fill much of the interests that Elder Scroll usually have.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
joeychuckles said:
I'd like to see a wider variety of armor - it'd be nice to have some variety in design (I hate showing up to the party in the same daedric suit as everyone else).
I miss Bonemold. Lots of variations for that one set of armor. Though the greives, boots, and gauntles were the same, there were 2 cuirasses, 3 sets of pauldrons, 5 shields, and about 7 helms.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
ryukage_sama said:
I hope they don't make it too much like Fable, but then again, Dragon Age Origins seems to fill much of the interests that Elder Scroll usually have.
Actually, alot of stuff from Fable would be nice in TES, mostly to bring the people to life. Not combat or magic or nothing, just the other people and beign able to have a civilian life.

SpectreT65

Aug 26, 2009
Kiutu said:
Actually, alot of stuff from Fable would be nice in TES, mostly to bring the people to life. Not combat or magic or nothing, just the other people and beign able to have a civilian life.
Slightly different aspect of that, Fable and Fable 2 are cartoony enough that they don't actally enter the Uncanny Valley, and Morrowind was polygonal enough that it didn't, either. Oblivion, and to a lesser extent, Fallout 3 both gave me that creepy Disney Animatronic feeling.

And we're in total agreement about the content feeling lakcing in Oblivion compared to Morrowind.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
SpectreT65 said:
Kiutu said:
Slightly different aspect of that, Fable and Fable 2 are cartoony enough that they don't actally enter the Uncanny Valley, and Morrowind was polygonal enough that it didn't, either. Oblivion, and to a lesser extent, Fallout 3 both gave me that creepy Disney Animatronic feeling.

And we're in total agreement about the content feeling lakcing in Oblivion compared to Morrowind.
Well yeah, Im hoping a major advancement is body movement. A couple of times you are talking to a guy freaking out, and it would seem more right if they were grabbing you, shaking in fear, constantly looking back in terror" as opposed to just standing motionless with a Mythic Dawn agent frozen behind them. (Also refering to the Altmer in Kvatch)

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
j0z said:
I hope there are no muskets...

But- YAY TESV!!!!!!!
I can't wait, I hope it is awesome.

Although I wouldn't mind airships... :D
Yeah they could be like the Silt-Striders, it'd be awesome. :)

knight of zendikar

Sep 21, 2009
mechanixis said:
Hey, if Bethesda just learns how to animate my character running diagonally this time, I will embrace it wholeheartedly. Evin if the game is centered around riding sheep on the moon and the only weapon is a gun that shoots underwear.
All I can say is thankyou for beating me to it. brillinat desginers who all seem to be incable of animating a human steping diagnoly.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
DuplicateValue said:
j0z said:
I hope there are no muskets...

But- YAY TESV!!!!!!!
I can't wait, I hope it is awesome.

Although I wouldn't mind airships... :D
Yeah they could be like the Silt-Striders, it'd be awesome. :)
Yep, that would be awesome.
I don't think they will add guns, especially with it only being 200 years later. Look at the master of fantasy's (Tolkien) Middle Earth, it existed thousands of years without much technological change.
I would love to see a return to Morrowind (the province. Imagine TES V: Morrowind II), or a game set in the Somerset Isles, or even Akaviir.
Also, bring back the skills in Morrowind, plus better animations.

Lucas Auraelius

WARNING: Cartoon Violence
Feb 25, 2009
I'm actually more excited than I thought I would be. My ultimate fantasy for this game would be seeing the plight of scientific repression and discovery that happened in the Renaissance, which is the time period I assume the game will take place in. Maybe an epic war between factions of mages and people who try to explain the magic with science or something. I'd buy it.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Naturalized said:
NO. No no no.

This a very bad idea. Elder scrolls does not need guns that is Fallout's niche not ES.

EDIT: for clarity. I believe that with that type of year gap they can't help but bring guns and shit into it and that is not good
I COMPLETELY agree with you.